Just inherited some seedlings... (possible issue)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BlindfAth, Nov 24, 2009.

1. I just inherited some plants from a close friend, it turns out he didn't want to grow them... So I told him I'd take them...

So now I have four beautiful week old seedlings, they have their first sets of leaves and seem to be growing quite quickly... but here is the problem.

It seems my friend (who has never grown before) stuck them all in the same pot, mind you it is a rather big pot, but they still are not very far apart (maybe 4-5 inches), so I am worried because although it's not a problem now, very soon it will be as the roots continue to grow rapidly as the seedlings grow larger...

Okay so now my question...
    When would you recommend transplanting them into different pots without damaging the roots? I'm a little worried about doing it now because the roots are still small and fragile.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

2. If you're going to transplant them, now is the time to do it. If the pot is rather large, you should be able to scoop out enough soil without disturbing the roots very much. There will be some disruption, but this should be minimal since the root system is still going to be rather small after only a week of growth. Just replant them into seperate containers and place them under a cfl or flourescent tube. You may see some drooping from the transplant, but this wont amount to much. I'm not sure about using nutrients for transplant shock at this stage since they are so young. I would just make sure that your medium (which should be a soiless mix such as Pro-Mix) stays moist. If anyone wants to correct me on this, feel free. I have been growing hydro for a while and its been some time since my last soil grow. I dont want to lead anyone in the wrong direction with this.

Peace :wave:
    ~Stoney Dan~

3. do it now. just stick 4 fingers as deep as you can & under each plant. u should be able to just scoop up the whole thing in a 3-4inch diameter scoop. just be as prepared and patient as possible. have pots ready with soil etc. you will do just fine, its easy man. try your best not to get dirt on the stem or leaf matter either. just be slow & deliberate with ur moves. if u do get dirt on the green matter, spray it off gently. remember to re-bury the stem an inch or so too when u transplant for more stability & grow room later. gl

4. Alright, I'm going to transplant them.

5. try taking before & after pics too man!!