just inherited sick plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by FeralMat, Nov 12, 2009.

1. i just inherited sick plants from my roommate and heres what im working with:

70w bulb
    26w bulb
    fluorescent bulb
    baking soda/vinegar mix for co2

i dont have any money now, but as of tomorrow will be able to buy other things i need.

the plants look a little wilty, some look great. what can i do to help them along?

theyre currently on 12/12 lighting schedule and only a little bit of some of the plants are brown.

can i trim away the brown parts?

thanks friends!

of course my batteries on my digi cam just died. pics back soon.

2. hey dude pics will really help when ur cams charged! but for now what are the 70w & 26w bulbs? if their normal household bulbs then they are no use, also the baking soda/vinegar wont have any impact as doesnt produce anywhere near enough c02 plus the grow space needs to be sealed to used it but you can grow great buds without added c02 so i wouldnt worrie about c02 for now,

i guess you know the 12/12 lighting cycle is for flowering & so when they are in the dark part of the cycle there needs to be 100% total darkness with NO light getting at them whats so ever

Ps if they are looking droopy then this is most likely overwatering

3. #3 FeralMat, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

if you look at some of the tips of the leaves on the right side, you can see that theyre kind of browning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

see how some of the leaves are curling over? i cant figure out what that means.

what type of lighting would you suggest for 4 plants in the flowering stage? an hid?

4. that plant looks kinda weird its not froming proper buds, must be from using wrong lighting, im not 100% whats with the leaves i cant really tell from the pics, but alot is prob from the wrong lights, & yes if u can i would defo go with an HPS for flowering, it will increase ur yeild majorly compaired to what u will get now if anything, you could go with CFL's as many do but you would need quite alot for 4 flowering plants like 4-5 CFL's per plant

5. should i use another bulb in addition or can i use an hps by itself?

6. i doubt you would need any more lights with an HPS but you do know you cant just buy an HPS bulb & plug it in

7. well what do you mean by that?

i have them now in a small closet that i have put molnar all on the inside of them. there is a circulation fan and a fan that takes air out of the closet. i understand that i have to distance the light about a foot from the plants in this stage...but is there something else i dont know?

btw-i appreciate your help!

8. with HPS lighting you need something called a ballast to power the bulb, what are the bulbs/light ur using now as then i can give u an idea how far they should be?

9. through my own ignorance, ive labeled all the lights as generic household whatevers.

turns out one of them is an hps, but i dont have a ballast. it literally was plugged straight in.

my roommate had done that, so ive just been utilizing it.

i used to be a mechanic at a bowling alley and had to utilize ballasts for the fluorescent lighting, but cant remember much about them...

10. dude theres no way you had an HPS bulb pluged into a normal socket as for 1 it would blow & start a fire & secondly they dont have a standard socket on them, also fluorescents use a very different ballast/transformer a small one thats usually buit in somewhere or something like that, HPS ballasts are a large box of electrical componants like this
    Exolux Lighting Systems | Exolux Indoor Lights | Growell Hydroponics, im not trying to be a cock jus saying lol

it would be easyer if you posted some pis of the lights ur using & i would think i can tell what there are & go from there

11. okie doke- heres more pics.

it totally is a 70 watt hps. i guess the ballast is in the fixture itself???
    [​IMG]

heres some more of the browning leaves and stalks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the whole setup itself. yes...that is aluminum foil. im getting mylar this afternoon.
    [​IMG]
    the hps is that black box.

[​IMG]

im justifying extra lighting to warm the room as it is very cold in my house. do you think thats detrimental?

12. I could be wrong, but those plants look nute burned and beat to hell and back.

Whats the soil? Whats the nutes? Whats the temps? Whats the PH? Whats the watering schedule? Whats the humidity?

That information is all needed to determine the plants issues, not just information on your lights. You can't just dump it into random dirt and give it tap water in a cold room, and expect a good grow.

13. right i know all of that.

i plan on doing a much better grow in the immediate future...but 3 days ago the plants were given to me by my roommate who didnt want them anymore.

until i get paid in 40 minutes, i was just looking for some help on how to let them not die. theyve been getting tap water and are in regular soil.

i cant stress enough that these just fell into my lap and im trying to undo weeks of neglect.

14. in a few weeks i plan on starting construction on a full-fledged fully-automate system based off of the design of the igrowchronic videos by mr. green.

im simply going with what is at the house i just moved into!

15. Yeah, but you asked us to diagnose what was wrong with the plants without telling us anything at all about them except the light situation and you have ventilation.

If they've been given tap water then they probably are having very bad PH issues, because your problem looks like a nitrogen deficiency causing the eagle claw leaves and the yellow/browning and thats ignoring the possibility of chlorine poisoning if you don't set the water out for 24 hours (not saying you aren't or he hasn't been, but again you haven't specified anything).

We can't just conjure a solution out of midair after all, we need some information. What do you mean by regular soil? Out of your yard? Cheap stuff from walmart? You still didn't specify temps, your watering schedule for the last 3 days (and the roommates before that), or that you've bothered to check the PH.

There could be an easy quick solution, but its impossible to find without you actually taking the time to tell us the actual conditions the plant is living under. You've done the equivalent of calling a doctor and going "man i feel like shit" and expecting the doctor to tell you whats wrong with no other information.

16. hey dude, yea it is an HPS looks like 70w HPS flood light, in general those plants are quite beaten & dont look to healthly, not sure where id start lol(no offence dude) id say get the plants closer together & get the HPS hanging above them, then use the other lights around the sides

the soil looks quite damp how often are you watering? also if your using tap water thats fine but it needs to be left out uncovered(like in a clean bucket or something) for atleast 24 hours before using it, this lets the clorine to evaporate away

do you have anything to tell the temps? if u have what are they? if not you need something ASAP