Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just how useful as a pain killer is it?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by marathon1, Jun 21, 2010.

1. My mother has an undiagnosed illness that gives here a ton of joint pain, I mean a ton. If it helps the medication she is given is used for patients with Fibromyalgia (she tested negative for it). She is using Fentanyl patches. We live in Alabama so no MMJ but to be honest it is really starting to bother me seeing her like this all the time, she is like a zombie and the medication she is receiving is dangerous and addictive.

I have brought it up about possibly trying Marijuana because some Fibromyalgia patients use it for their pain. She has agreed to try it.

I just want to know is it really a very effective pain killer or can I probably expect it not to be enough to help her with her pain. I know it is effective, I mean will it help with extreme joint pain?

2. Sweet Jesus, get that woman off of those.

3. a close friend of mine with Fibromyalgia says they reduced their medication intake by 2/3rds using mmj, including fentanyl patches, let her try it asap

4. It's proved to help some people tremendously with pain relief, but MJ's different on everyone. It's definitely worth a try though. Good luck.

5. Whats up marathon 1,

My mom has Loin Pain Hemturia Syndrome, or LPHS, basically it is the most fucked up disease ever, her kidneys are in constant agonizing pain to that the point she had a surgery to have a pump put in here to constantly keep the meds flowing(also takes orals pain killers). She also experiences joint pain as well, her disease is very rare,

I live in Las Vegas and the doctors out here are so bad its sickening.
    For years they said she was crazy, a junkie, and alot of the doctors would get defensive because they didnt want to look as if they knew nothing. Finally she was diagnosed and has had it for 5 years now, she is the strongest person ive ever seen in my life. As your mom probably knows once people with chronic pain get tolerances to the meds they dont help very much, so a day in her life would be enough to lead most people to suicide.

Ive been smoking bud on and off since i was about 13. My mom used to be into the drug scene in her younger days so she wasnt oblivious to the idea. She decided that she wanted to try smoking weed for her pain, she had been researching it. It helped right away, less pain, better mood, positive attitude but she trys not to smoke to much because it makes her very tired.

Long story short it has helped very much,
    lemme know how it goes, peace brotha

stay up:smoking:

6. If you can get/make some real quality edibles that would be the way to go. Otherwise try and get an Indica described as "heavy" or "strong"

7. helps with my back pain
    so it should work

but you need to make sure its a heavy indica as others have said

8. Alright guys It looks like we are gonna try it...I brought it up with my dad and he didn't say anything but had a look on his face like he was given it a thought.

That is a good sign lol..Whatever my mom has it is brutal, It all started when (sounds crazy) she went out back with our new chainsaw last October and attempted to cut down a cactus like plant called Agave, looks like Aloe Vera. The chainsaw sent the plant's guts flying right into my moms legs. Afterwards she said her legs were on fire and she devoloped an awful rash on her legs. Ever since that day she has been in constant pain. Some of these diseases can be triggered by enviormental factors which is what I think happened with my mom.

9. I have fibromyalgia, and my regular doc sucked. I was on 13 different meds, and since starting mmj, I have been able to cut out everything but 2 necessary medicines.
    MMJ definitely helps my fibromyalgia. I find that indicas or indica heavy hybrids work very well for the pain. If you can find MMJ hard candy or mmj tinctures/honey, try that. In my experience, the tinctures and hard candy work best on the nerve parts of fibromyalgia, and the smoking helps with the rest.

10. I just looked into FM and all the symptoms my mom has are ones FM is associated with. She took some tests but they pointed to Arthritis but I read that this is what usually happens for people when tested for FM and the only way to diagnose it is to basically rule out every other disease possible.

after looking into it I have to say this has to be it. Her sister also has it, mayo clinic said it appears to be hereditary.

Wow it is so glaringly obvious now. Of course I'm not a doctor though.

11. Google Fibromyalgia symptoms. They vary widely, but can confirm it is FM. Of course she may have it and not have all the symptoms. A good author on FM is Dr. Devin Starlanyl. get the earlier version of her book if you don't want to get too technical. Otherwise her newest book is a treat - technical though. But it explains the syndrome very well and it is thorough. I have it, my mom and son do, and my aunt and uncle do. Also she may have it AND arthritis.

Good Luck,

Sammy

12. Yes, you are correct. The only way to "prove" fibromyalgia is to "test positive" for having the symptoms, pressure points, and to have blood tests rule out anything else. If your mom can find one, she should see a rheumatologist or internist. They'll run tests, but remember that it is possible to have both arthritis and fibromyalgia.
    She should also tell her doc that her sister has it. Just to let you know now, some doctors dislike saying that fibromyalgia exists, because it is so hard to test for. Good Luck!

13. I pulled something in my back a few weeks ago. I could hardly stand up.. I was taking some high strength ibuprofen, because I hate those other opium based pills. So I would take ibuprofen and smoke a few bowls....the pain was numb! To be honest, the pills didn't do much, after smoking weed I could feel a instant difference. So I would recommend it for pain :smoking::D

14. Marathon1,

Medical marijuana is an excellent pain killer when the right strains for that patient are found. After a few effective strains are found, then the one most suited for each situation can be used.

I know. I have inherited FM and arthritis of the spinal facets and was on prescription opioid pain killers for almost 10 years straight. Fentanyl, morphine, oxy and hydrocodone, levorphanol, dilaudid, you name it. These prescriptions cost me a successful career, a marriage, and half a pension.

MMJ seemed like my last option unless I wanted to try surgery and the surgeons were less than hopeful....pessimistic in fact. When pain management doctors are surprised at your tolerance, you're short on options. So what did I have to lose?

We will skip some minor procurement and use logistics and conclude with this endorsement: Within two weeks, I was off ALL prescripition pain killers. In a further two weeks, I was actively reengaging past activities with a much brighter outlook. I can feel my life returning, and with it, hope. I only use as much medicine as needed to manage the pain and it works much better and with far fewer side effects than the pills and patches. It will be a different and medically much better new life. I think that is what you and others are looking for here. It exists, and MMJ is absolutely safe and effective as a pain medicine.

Some phenos like sativas and hybrids work better for me. This is counter to the prevailing - and mostly correct - wisdom focused on indicas for pain. So, work to try as many as your situation will allow and be diligent. Most of the strains are still holdovers from the recreational breeding programs of the last 40 years and are more psychoactive than therapeutic for pain. This is changing, as the better breeders recognize that the best margins are on the most effective medicines. The MMJ of coming years will be much better than today's...and some of today's works very well when the right human and plant connect.

Google 'glial' cells and 'cannabinoids' to understand why MMJ works independently, in concert with if necessary, and differently than the opioid pain killers. It is especially effective on the neuropathic pain that seems to be what you're describing. I know it is for me.

We have surely been lied to. Many people are unnecessarily in pain because they don't know this and there is much left to do in educating folks as to the truth.

Good luck. I will pray for you and your mother. She is blessed to have a child such as you.

Please share your results. Many will benefit without you knowing.

Peace.

15. This could be a very long post, but I think I am just going to post fibro studies and let you click the "MMJ Studies" link in my sig for the rest of the info you need.

Fibro, yes, it works.

Cannabis Sativa (Marijuana) for Fibromyalgia (list -no date)
    Cannabis Sativa (Marijuana) for Fibromyalgia

Cannabis for Chronic Pain: Case Series and Implications for Clinicians
    (abst - 2002)
    Cannabis for Chronic Pain: Case Series and Implications for Clinicians

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (full - 2004)
    (READ THIS ONE, IF NOTHING ELSE! IT EXPLAINS WHY SHE IS SICK- GRANNY)
    Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency - Phoenix Tears Library

Fibromyalgia, IBS, and the Endocannabinoid-CB-Receptor (ECBR) system
    (abst - 2004)
    Abstract: GUEST EDITORIAL: Fibromyalgia, IBS, and the Endocannabinoid-CB-Receptor (ECBR) system

Delta-9-THC based monotherapy in fibromyalgia patients on experimentally induced pain, axon reflex flare, and pain relief (abst - 2006)
    Delta-9-THC based monotherapy in Fibromyalgia patients on experimentally induced pain, axon reflex flare, and pain relief.

THC Reduces Pain in Fibromyalgia Patients (news - 2006)
    Illinois NORML - THC Reduces Pain in Fibromyalgia Patients

Study of analgesic effects of oral THC in Germany ... (abst -2007)
    Study of analgesic effects of oral THC in Germany ...

Fibromyalgia: Effective Treatment with Medical Marijuana (news - 2007)
    Fibromyalgia: Effective Treatment with Medical Marijuana - Salem-News.Com

Synthetic Cannabis for Fibromyalgia Pain? (news - 2007)
    Chronic Pain - Synthetic Cannabis for Fibromyalgia Pain?

Are cannabinoids a new treatment option for pain in patients with fibromyalgia?
    (abst - 2008)
    Are cannabinoids a new treatment option for pain i... [Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol. 2008] - PubMed result

Anandamide and neutrophil function in patients with fibromyalgia. (abst - 2008)
    Anandamide and neutrophil function in patients wit... [Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2008] - PubMed result

Nabilone for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia. (abst -2008)
    Nabilone for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia. [J Pain. 2008] - PubMed result

Marijuana-Based Drug Reduces Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Suggests
    (news - 2008)
    Marijuana-based Drug Reduces Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Suggests

Fibromyalgia and Medical Marijuana (news - 2008)
    Can Medical Marijuana Help Relieve Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain (news - 2008)
    Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain

Marijuana Derivative Called Effective in Fibromyalgia (news - 2008)
    Medical News: Marijuana Derivative Called Effective in Fibromyalgia - in Rheumatology, Fibromyalgia from MedPage Today

Fibromyalgia and Medical Marijuana (news - 2008)
    Can Medical Marijuana Help Relieve Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

The Effects of Nabilone on Sleep in Fibromyalgia: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | The effects of nabilone on sleep in fibromyalgia: results of a randomized controlled trial. Journal article

Medical marijuana may help fibromyalgia pain (news - 2010)
    Medical marijuana may help fibromyalgia pain - CNN.com

That is from my home list, so there's new stuff there. Now, click the link in my sig and start scrolling down the list for the rest of what you need.

Hope that helps,

Granny :wave:

16. those things kill people highly addictive get off the opiates

17. i have back issues and have twisted the same vert like 8 times. i have had it acting up on me bad when i smoke but it makes it very easy to ignore. and if you get high enough the pain just feels weird.

18. Hey guys, I brought up the similarties of FM with my mother and she now also thinks that is what she has.

She had one rhumetologist tell her she didn't have FM because "you have it when you are born". I've been looking around and that doesn't seem to be the case. I read though that a lot of doctors hate dealing with FM patients because it is hard to diagnose and treat, maybe that Doc was one of them.

19. How big was it? Do you know those things take years and years and years to grow? I have a very small one I bought this year :) I like it

but anyway everybody else has pretty much summed up what you should do, and be careful around cacti next time :)

20. Lol, that doctor was wrong. I was healthy for my entire life, and then BAM! All of a sudden I started having weird problems. I noticed the problems first in my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack, only to find out that it was an "inflamed sternum", which I recently found out was the probably the first fibro symptom I had. After that, it was issues with anxiety, migraines, insomnia, and then some nerve dysfunction in my legs. Now it's a severe case of fibro.