Just heard a crazy noise

Discussion in 'General' started by Sunn, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Right after I moved from Dallas to hicktown(Terrell) I wasn't used to cows and would still wake up forgetting I had even moved.
    So for a while if the cows or train woke me up I would flip out.
    Then I would remember I have train tracks and cows right across from my appartments

2. another small update. my mom was convinced i was hearing freight trains when i told her about this, but didnt buy it. there are tracks about. 2 minutes down the road, you can hear them somewhat.

anyway a little while ago i thought i heard it again, i step outside but right away i realized it was a freight train this time. there was a distinct "rushing noose" that was absent before, and it was distinctly coming from a different direction than yesterday. so ive now ruled out trains.

i also did some checking, there were no earthquakes in illinois either day i heard the noise. so it was not a train, not thunder, not an earthquake.

more and more im thinking it must be some kinda weird plane because i just dont know what else it would be. and today when i heard that train it was clearly coming from a specific direction and sounded 'far away' but the rumblings i couldnt really pinpoint direction or distance. which would make sense if it was coming from above you because the sound would surround you.

i WILL solve this

3. i finally found other people around here who seem to be hearing the same thing i am/was. the original author of the thread specified the exact same thing that i did, that it sounds like a train but at a lower frequency. this is starting to get real interesting..too bad all these posts are from like a year and a half ago, but apparently whatever is causing it has been going on for that long.

About this rumbling noise....

4. could've been a motorcycle or car. are there any car meets near you that you know of? could've just been some drag racing too which would explain the on/off for a few minutes then it fading away.

5. haha i don't think so, for one thing i live in the suburbs and at night on a weeknight it's basically totally silent outside. There is a highway on the other side of the neighborhood though that you can hear quite clearly at night, but as i've been hearing it for 20+ years now i'm pretty accustomed to how it sounds, and i've heard my fair share of races on that highway too. this noise didn't sound anything like a car, and if it was coming from a car or a motorcycle i would have been able to identify that it was moving around.

6. Soo did you ever figure anything else out? This was a pretty interesting read so far

7. Did you figure out for or against the trains? I live near some train tracks, and the sound is unmistakeable. It is a very rhythmic rumble. And it does fade away too.

I only ask this because something rumbles, kinda intensely, every so often around here. For a few minutes like you described. What I hear, isn't a train.

8. nope never figured anything out and haven't heard anything strange since. it definitely wasn't trains though, in fact i was smoking outside a couple weeks ago and it must have been low pressure outside because i could hear a freight train approaching and then passing through my town and it was unmistakable. in fact it sounded so clear it was like i was standing right next to it even though it's a mile or two away. i could hear the clickity clack of it going over the rails and the direction it was coming from and moving in. so yeah, not a train.

9. Have you considered that it could have been a flight of fighter jets making a pass or something?

The air national guard flies low over my area all the time. And it gets loud, and sort of sounds like what you describe. The A10's sound really bass heavy too, and the entire house shakes.

10. Well the other day around here they did construction about 6 miles straight down the hill and the wind carried the noise here. It was intense to say the least. Sounded straight like war of the worlds but one solid note.

Wind can really fuck with sounds lol