Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just had a thought and is this true

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by EastCoastSwag, Sep 11, 2012.

1. I was outside smoking a cigarette and was like

wait a second cigarettes cause cancer yet marijuana makes the lungs work better and stops cancer. Does that mean a cigarette smoker also smoking weed is safe from lung cancer?

2. No. They don't just cancel each other out. You're still inhaling that shit.

3. Marijuana isn't harmful, the smoke is though as is cigarette smoke

4. Where did you hear that smoking marijuana makes the lungs work better? THC itself is a bronchodilator, but the smoke from the plant does not improve your lung function. Cigarettes only make matters worse.

The reason cannabis is preferable and the "healthier" option to tobacco, besides its potency, is our bodies' ability to clean out the byproducts naturally.

5. I wish thats how it worked lol, unfortunately its damaging.

6. wait for granny, shell straighten this out.

7. Of course not, That's the same logic fatty uses after consuming chocolate cake and a burger and then eats carrots to be healthy.

Also I'm not sure if I would say smoking weed makes your lungs better and prevents cancer, more like it doesn't harm your lungs and doesn't cause cancer, there's a difference.

8. No it doesn't work like that. That would be rather convent.

9. it has to do with carcinogens. tobacco has a lot of radioactive carcinogens while weed doesn't.

10. #10 BadKittySmiles, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
    While cannabis can be preventative against lung cancers and respiratory illness, when set against common environmental exposure/damage incurred by non-smokers, where we (smokers) tend to have fewer lung ailments and cancers compared to non-smokers... it's still not magic.

And particularly in the typically-small amounts smoked by most users ('small', compared to the doses recommended to destroy cancers), it won't easily or likely prevent the kind of cancers that chemically adulterated and mass-produced tobacco, can cause.

And where it was mentioned earlier... all smoke or burning matter, is not created equal! :hello:

Cannabis smoke, not just vapor but smoke, has been known to improve lung function even when compared to 'healthy' non-smokers!

Cannabis smoke is considered to be 'less harmful' than the smoke from simple tea leaves, let alone tobacco.

It's expansive, and laden with incredibly beneficial terpenes and cannabinoids, but cannabis is also mild enough in terms of damage to respiratory function, even when smoked, that it's a superior treatment for many severe asthma patients, and it can provide (sometimes permanent) relief for people suffering from emphysema.
    So while it's not normally 'good' for you to inhale any burning plant matter, the minute amount of short-term damage and the non existent long-term irritation cannabis smoke causes, is nothing compared to most burning matter. Cannabis also has unparalleled healing and curative qualities, and those aspects, combined with our practiced breathing and technique, actually exercises and improves our lungs and their ability to function!

It's why cannabis smokers tend to have better lung function and a greater lung-capacity than 100% non-smokers! :yay:

Study Finds That Years of Smoking Cannabis Actually Increases Lung Function

Casual Marijuana Smoking Not Harmful to Lungs

Smoking Marijuana Is Good For Your Lungs (Recent Study)

Tobacco smoke historically reduces lung function and capacity compared to non-smokers in all tests and studies, but compared to both tobacco smokers and non-smokers, when using the very same tests and subject groups, cannabis smokers win! :)

Just remember that we're comparing not just a natural plant (and one that is often grown with higher standards than a lot of the food we eat), but a notoriously healthy plant, to the effects of essentially a product, ie. modern 'tobacco', whose manufacturers have only just recently been formally requested by the federal government to disclose their ingredient lists and, prior to now, had released only a partial list of the over 1,500 man-added chemicals, many of which are synthetic, including synthetic nicotine (and just think how nice synthetic cannabinoids have been :eek: ), additives that have been for decades added to the tobacco being sold.
    Just to give a look at both sides of the coin... as bad as tobacco is, we have a somewhat skewed concept or a limited idea of the scale of its consequences when it is left in its natural state.

11. #11 STEWWW21, Sep 12, 2012
    First day of class this semester my Philosophy teacher was telling us about how there was a study how people that smoked both weed and cigarettes were more susceptible to not getting any cancer than the people smoking just cigs or just marijuana.

12. #12 Inlakesh, Sep 12, 2012
    Well weed slows down the cancer's growth, so I guess it should help prevent it too. But any kind of smoke is bad for your lungs and you shouldn't be smoking cigarettes, it's pointless and disgusting, also by buying cigarettes you're giving evil corporations who sell poison to the people more money... Fuck cigarettes, just smoke weed, and if you still want to smoke then use natural tobacco with no added chemicals...

13. BKS is beast.

14. Absolutely. I hope no one is offended by this, but I honestly glanced over the name and just started reading the post, thinking it was Granny! :D

Thank you BKS! (and you too Granny!) You, along with several others here vehemently prove that Knowledge is Power.

:smoke: