Just had a neat realization

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PilkyHigh, Feb 14, 2010.

1. We all contribute to the world in some way or other, whether it appears extremely important, or incredibly insignificant. It doesn't matter if someone is more practical, into sports, mechanics or building, rather than reading, writing and politics. That should not be looked down upon as a disability. In saying that, nor should the mentally impaired be subjected to this. My brother is autistic, and since observing him when I'm high, I've been able to understand that he has a lot of advantages. He's shut off from this cultured world. He's like an alien learning to function on planet Earth. Like children, they have no worries in the world because they haven't been exposed to all it's negative aspects.

Sure he has his own problems and frustrations, but so do we all. He's just in a very small percentage of people with the same condition, and so isn't seen as normal. He's very different. But that shouldn't matter.

Everyone reading this will know someone in their life, or have come across someone who is a little unusual, maybe a bit wacky, eccentric or whatever. Although they may seem a bit odd, I'm sure many of you are drawn to certain desired traits the posses.

I think we all have to re asses what the definition of 'normal' is. If we didn't have the 'abnormal' people in the world, it'd be pretty shit to put it bluntly. Those of us 'normal' people have to stop judging people who are different. They contribute. Even the horrible, evil people. Not necessarily in a way we'd like, but they contribute and balance the world nevertheless.

I'm sure many of you won't agree with me or believe in what I've said, and that's cool, because I've learnt to respect EVERYONE'S opinions, as they're all as valid as your own. But this is a realization that will hopefully help me with how I live my life and interact with others. I've been getting a lot more philosophical and spiritual lately, so what better place to hang out than the Spirituality and Philosophy forum on GC!

Cheers for reading. Let me know your thoughts.

2. We are all different. We should be grateful for this, for that's what makes us. We as individuals, that is YOU, are incredibly important and amazing in your own ways.

3. #3 Josh_877, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
    Agreed, we need to realize that judging things as good or bad or comparing are all traits of the mind. It's not who we truly are. If you learn to live ur life without judgment or labeling things as good or bad you'll have found the secret to being content in every and any situation. And yes everyone has their purpose, just like everything happens for a reason.

4. Reminds me of my personal favorite quote of all time:

"I am filled with awe, with profound, mystic, silence-enjoying awe, in the presence of the religious greatness of the damned, in the presence of the genius of disease and the disease of genius, of the type of the afflicted and the possessed, in whom saint and criminal are one."

"In other words, certain attainments of the soul and the intellect are impossible without disease, without insanity, without spiritual crime, and the great invalids are crucified victims, sacrificed to humanity and its advancement, to the broadening of its feeling and knowledge - in short, to its more sublime health."

- Thomas Mann