Just got seeds today! need help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dustin7294, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hello all!

I just recived my 2 afgahn seeds today, and this is my first grow ever! I am germinating them right now, wrapped in damp paper towel sealed in an air tight ziploc bag. Is this right?
    And once germinated i insert 1/4 in the soil root facing down. <-- right?
    i have 2 150 w cfls 4100k They will be going under that for veg, if i should get more let me know.

Please and thanks for the help!

2. #2 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    First off, congratulations!!!! I'm so excited for you. Message me anytime if you have a question. I'm new but I like helping.
    You want to wait until the seeds pop and a little white thing starts sticking out. That's the tap root. I pop them into soil as soon as I see the root starting to come out. Put them about the length of the seed under the soil. About 1/4 of ah inch or so. Keep in humidity dome of some kind for first couple weeks after coming out of soil. They need light as soon as they break soil so keep an eye on them.
    Are the Watts actual or equivalent?

3. Also so you know 4100k isn't a great range for vedge or flower.. its in the middle..

you want 6500's for vedge (they call them daylight bulbs) and 2700-3k or so for flower.. (these are the common ones ..aka.. cheap)

4. #4 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    Most hardware stores have a good selection of daylight bulbs but most places like Walmart have mostly soft white

5. Congrats dude..your off to a very fun journey. Its very rewarding. Much more so then growing the stuff I do in my garden.

How you have them germinating is fine. Just keep them in a dark place. You can also take a heating pad set it on low and put the soaked towels and put them in a plastic container and place it on that. That works well to.

Once you germinate them use some tweezers the root tap is fragile and place it in the soil 1/2 inch to inch..thats what I do in the soil. Using solo cups from the store is good for this cut some drainage holes out the bottom. Take a ziplock bag and put it over your cups and tape it on. That creates a humidity dome so the seedlings are not shocked from the new enviroment. As soon as they sprout you can take it out. I would keep them in the cups till you get your first or second set of real leaves. Then you water the cup and cut it open and transplant to their new home.

I would spend the time you have now while there germinating reading all the stickies on here and googling grow guides. 90% of what you need to know is found there and the other 10% comes from you getting experience in growing. After you read a couple you will find they all follow a same beat..some grower differences but most of the advice is universal.

On lightings more is better and with CFLs remember 2-4 inches the light needs to be. After about 4-6 inches spectrum for growing goes to zero and your plants will stretch to get closer. Also remember CFLs get hot so watch them daily to adjust them. Up close a CFL can burn you especially the big ones.

6. I strongly suggest that before you pop your babies in the ground, that you microwave the soil first! This will kill the dreaded "damping off" spores that kill millions of seedlings! Let the soil cool completely before planting.

You only need to do this with seedling's soil. Once a plant gets a couple of week's growth, their stems are too tough for the spores to attack.

Humidity domes are a two edged sword. They do keep the seedlings from drying out, but they also make excellent conditions for molds and fungi, like damping off! I don't use them.

Having a small fan blowing gently on your seedlings will also help prevent damping off, and the seedling's stems will be stronger.

Granny

7. Alot do not realize that mj growing or not. Good airflow that is constant keeps the nasties at bay. Thats why in nature theres always wind or breeze..well that does not exist for the purpose but its what stoped mold and what not from poping up all over.

8. #8 greenbudguy, Jun 6, 2011
    There are pretty good priced isolating fans at hardware stores or Walmart or a place like it

9. I dont think ill be able to buy new bulbs anytime soon, i will tho, within the first week of veg... But will 4100k work for the mean time?
    I already have a small ventilation fan that i will use,

I have a Humidifier & dehumidifier which should i use for when they sprout?

10. The bulbs will work but get the 6500k ones. Work better. I don't use humidifiers or dehumidifiers but seedlings and clones like himidity. I keep humidity up during veg

11. I live in canada, (ontario) would home depot have the bulbs?

12. #12 greenbudguy, Jun 7, 2011
    Yes. That's where I get mine. The guys who work that department know I grow too. He asked one day if I was breaking the bulbs and needed more and I just told him straight up, nah just need more lights for my weed

13. Lastly when they have sprouted do i put in small pot, or the big one i have for growing till harvest

14. #14 greenbudguy, Jun 7, 2011
    I do a smaller pot and work my way up. Its easy to tansplsnt without causing too much stress on the plant

15. People go two ways. Small pot then larger then larger. On my MJ plants and others I have grown from seed like veggies and what not after sprout straight into there final resting spot. Never had any bad luck with that method. On top of that they most likely like it no need to regrow in different ways from multiple transplating. They can grow as free as they want.

16. Yes what your looking for is Daylight Bulbs, and Soft White ones. They will be clearly labeled that and have the kelvin temp usually on the packaging somewhere. In the states at least down here in Georgia its like 10 bucks or less for a 3 pack 100w 23 equil. I noticed that Target sells the bigger ones. I was suprised to see 35w CFLs there..usually have had to mail order them. Thats one big bulb!

17. #17 greenbudguy, Jun 7, 2011
    Home depot in Cali had some bigger ones. I don't remember how much but I think they were like $12 each so I didn't get them. I'm going to for my next grow tho. I wanna pump about 500watts of CFLs for 4 plants if possible

18. Why so many. Get a T5 over the top and use the CFls around the bottom. Be alot less heat. Be more expensive though. You can get a wheel barrel full of CFLs for the cost of some of the lighting systems out there.

19. #19 greenbudguy, Jun 7, 2011
    How long are T5s tho? I'm limited on space