just got out of Jail, please help!!

Discussion in 'General' started by tokeahontas13, Apr 11, 2008.

1. So, I'm chillin in my apartment, putting on makeup getting ready to go out for the night, and listening to music. Next thing I know, there's a loud as bang on my door. I open it up to an apartment complex employee, one cop, and one drug task force under cover agent...? They tell me they are here for a noise complaint, and then shortly after the drug cop asked me why I was shaking. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about. He asked to come inside and to take a look around. Now I know my fucking rights when it comes to my car, but since i Rent my apartment.. i thought i had to let them in. Either way I asked him if they were allowed in there, and he shows me his badge like its a fucking key to get in. They walk in, immediately see my huge weed tapestry and ask to look in my room. I tell him no, and he asks if I smoke weed, and if i have any. I told him no twice... and he started babbling about some bullshit and kept asking to go in my room. Finally i tell him look man i just have a gram because i knew he was going to go in there either way, and it was sitting on my computer desk. He confiscated my whole 1gm. of weed, and my fucking baby.. Lola, my bong. They had NO search warrants, asked to search my room. I said no.. then they tried to "cut a deal" with me so that I wouldn't have to go to Jail. As soon as they said that i knew what the fuck they were talking about, and refused to tell them anyones name. I told them I was the low man on the playing field and didn't even know where my bud came from.

I've never been arrested before, and I just want some guidance as to what I should do when I appear in court. I haven't talked to my father yet, but we have a lawyer.. and tips or suggestions?

\t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t__________________

2. wow thats shitty, they took you to jail for a fucking gram, is weed illegal in your state?

3. yeah.. Alabama dude, but its only considered a misdemeanor here.. georgia its a felony.

4. for a future reference, theres a reason they had to ASK if they could come in your apt and go in your room...you dont have to let them, even if its an apartment...the building itself isnt yours true, but if the person that owns it came into your apt without ur permission its still against the law

5. go to Norml and see what one of those pot-lawyers could do. You never know, their trained proffesionals..

6. I would think they'd still need some kind of warrant to get in your room..?

7. Man, shouldn't have let them in in the first place. Oh well take it as a lesson learned. I doubt LEO is going to make a big deal out of one gram.................

8. That was a serious question?

Yeh, I was talking to her last night when it all went down... Shit's insane.

There's no sense in talking about what you "should" have done. Their point and case? You admitted to having an illegal substance in your apartment, and to them size won't matter.

Your lawyer can harp on the fact that they did NOT leave you alone, and the fact they brought a drug task force agent for a "noise problem." I honestly would have said " no " to everything they were asking. In addition, asking for a name and a badge number isn't a bad idea.

I would advise calling your pops today, and letting him know what's up. It's a pain in the ass going through this shit alone ( I got arrested, because they found a roach in the car, and a grinder in the girl's purse I was with). Your pops can help you on the mental end of things, and your lawyer can help you with getting this set straight.

Worse case scenario? Possession under 50 grams, and paraphanelia. In NJ, It's only a misdemeanor, which means fines. But after court fees, processing, that can be a pretty hefty fine. It all depends on how bad your state needs money.

There's no doubt what they did was unjust, and they used their authority in an intimidating way. But what's done is done. Woulda coulda shoulda needs to get thrown out the window. Talking to your lawyer ASAP is definitly something you want to do, obviously. I ended up with everything dropped to " breaking the provoking of the peace", Which amounted to a $133 fine after court fees. But it was right before my entry into the airforce, and that's what got me off.

Your lawyer will probally argue the fact that since you cooperated, it's a first time offense (hopefully) and it was such a small amount, that the charges get lowered. Most states are ONLY looking to get some cash. They don't wanna put you on probation for something so small. More work for them.

In my experiences, plan on spending your WHOLE day at court. I spent two days, and it sucked. The only catch with it getting lowered to something else, is that the original charges will be on your record too. But the description is NOT, and an employer really cannot find that out unless it's a federal job. But that's looking too far into the future.

I suggest chillin' out, and not doing anything bad for awhile. You're obviously on their radar, and they're gonna watch your every move. Let your friends know if they plan on coming over, they shouldn't be packin' nothin.

Hope you got a mystery stash hidden somewhere. Court really sucks.

EDIT: DrunkShip- They do, unless you consent to the search, which she did. As soon as she said she had an illegal substance in the house, that's probable cause to tear the fucking place down if they want. That shit happened to a homie of mine, and he sued the state. Pretty funny shit.

9. wow sorry to hear something so amazingly ridiculous happened to you. Hope all turns out well. Keep us posted on what happens.

10. Alabama 2.2lbs possession or less is Misdemeanor. GA 1oz or less is a Misdemeanor, a Felony is > 1oz

You only had a gram, don't fret. You'll maybe get probation and a fine.

11. One word... lawyer. tell him what happened, and how they insisted on coming in...

12. Yep, under no circumstances should you ever give police permission to enter your residence, you dun fucked up.

13. damn that reminds me of that show DEA. People get even more nervous when theyre talking to non regular cops

14. ya that is the little pathetic game they play, try to intimidate you.

15. The second you invited them in to your house, you gave up any rights you may have had for unlawful search and seizure. Think of cops as vampires, they can only come in your house if YOU invite them in, unless of course they have that magical piece of paper saying otherwise.

16. it sucks you got popped but whats with all these threads?

17. You think that sucks, i was living at my friends house and we usually smoke alot of weed in there, well one day we were all pretty drunk and high smoking a blunt with me him and 2 other friends and some girls from across the bridge and out of nowhere the door gets knocked down, his pitbull gets tasered, and before i even know whats happening im on the ground in handcuffs. Apparantly they had a search warrant and arrested all of us for possession with intent to distribute of a class A and C.

Makes you think how free of a country this is when people can knock down your door and put you all in handcuffs before they even search your place, thats like guilty till proven innocent.

18. yep shit sucks. thanks for everyone who pointed outi shouldnt have let them in.. im well aware now, but idlike to see how others act in a stressful situation alone.. get off my bck i know what i did wrong, thats not what i asked about.. i asked for help.

But thanks for those of you who wished me luck. I have confidence ill get t hrough this

19. Tokeahontas13, yeah its shitty but you gotta deal with it now. I know others are telling you left and right to get a lawyer, but in my opinion it's a waste of money. I don't see ANY way a lawyer is getting you completely clean of this one.

You let them in your home, from that point on, EVERYTHING they did was by the books (perfectly legal), no matter what anyone else may tell you. Go talk to your public defender, and see what he can do for you. I dont personally see a point in paying $1000+ for a lawyer when he probably cant get you off without court supervision anyway. Just more bullshit you gotta pay $ for.

I got busted in 2005 with nothing more than a loaded hitter and hitter box. When I went to court, my charge was drug paraphernalia. I had to do a fucking year of supervised probation with piss tests. Your best bet is to expect the same. I think you'll be LUCKY to just get off with nothing more than fines.

Keep in mind, I said fuck lawyers, AFTER mine said he could MAYBE get me off with court supervision. Fuck that. The only real difference between court supervison and supervised proabation is the time between that you have your piss tests. (Every 3 months vs. Every month) Worth a $1000? HARDLY! Just stay clean from hear on out.

20. fuck the DEA. They break the constitution all the fucking time for little drug busts. Did you firmly say no you can't search my apartment. I would have, it is like searching a car where I live, they will just leave you alone if they don't have a warrant. Thats pretty much bullshit...