Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Just got my Medi Card from Venice Beach, but there's a problem.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by burnt toast, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Are you saying that people are pretending to be doctors and they actually are not actually licensed doctors?

Why is the state structure set up for doctors not appropriate for 'pot' doctors?

If someone is licensed by the state with their credentials as a doctor - whether they graduated first or last in their class they are a DOCTOR. If YOU SUSPECT someone is doing unethical things, then bring that to the attention of the necessary authorities. This is probably the state licensing board for medical doctors - or similarly named organization.

Who are you to keep someone from their medicine if they've taken all the necessary steps as setup by the state? Maybe you need to lobby the state for tighter restrictions? You don't know what happens behind closed doors between patient and doctor. So you should really just take the rec. at face value. And not turn it into a judgment call on your part.

Maybe you just don't think I look sick enough for a recommendation. But it's not your call.

2. wildwill is saying he is a real doctor frauding the government system which is ILLEGAL.. in order for patients to get a rec according to what ive read you must have prior medical records proof of a docotr diagnosing you with a disorder and a state ID but the doctor in venice is only takin the state id and leaving out the medical records because he only wants the money and doesnt care if their sick or not.

3. They are people operating a private business, who absolutely have the right to refuse service to anyone. If a dispensary doesn't believe that the doctor in question is legitimately giving out recommendations, and they still give out meds, then they are putting themselves at risk. So they are completely within their rights to not serve for that reason, just like the patient is within their rights to go somewhere a little more shady. End of story.

4. There is certainly a state licensing board, and believe it or not, they HAVE revoked medical licenses for recommending doctors who are not following the proper protocol to give out MMJ recommendations. Just look up Dr. Alfonso Jimenez, a pot doc who wrote thousands of recommendations state-wide and got his license revoked for not following proper procedures:
    http://medpotcrisis.com/pdfs/JimenezLicenseStatusOMB.pdf

I would NEVER claim to judge another person's patient status based solely on their appearance, I am a strong advocate for getting legal, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A QUALIFYING CONDITION. What I am NOT an advocate for is using shady doctors who have a history of just handing out a recommendation without bothering to do even a cursory exam or reviewing medical records. That is what those Venice Beach doctors do, as long as your money is green you can get a card, and that's a black eye to the rest of the community.

They are also usually attached to a specific dispensary or club, and that's also very illegal. The recommending doctors can have NO relationship to any dispensary or collective according to the law, ergo any doctor who sends you to a specific dispensary or tells you your recommendation is only good at one club is breaking the law.

When it comes to medical marijuana, the best practice is to follow the letter of the law in order to prove to our opponents that we can be a responsible community. These doctors and their attached clubs aren't doing that.

5. #25 WildWill, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
    I just found this great site with all sorts of great information for patients and doctors alike.

here's a great page with info from other recommending doctors and lawyers who specialize in MMJ on how to both give AND get a proper recommendation. I suggest you all peruse it and then I dare you to still tell us that we're off our rockers for suggesting he go to a more reputable doctor, since virtually everything we've been saying is supported by these lawyers and doctors.

The Real Dirt on Pot Cards

This is but an excerpt on the validity of bringing in empty prescription bottles:

The BASIC steps a recommending doctor must do:

I will say this, the entire site appears to be from a specific recommending doctor (Dr. Ellis), but his practices are right in line with the CA Attorney General's Guidelines.

6. Whos to say this isnt happening everywhere until weed is fully legal and its a legit prescription?

7. #27 tharedhead, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009

Just a little aside here-did y'all know that long before Restasis (the dry eye treatment) was approved for humans in 2002, it was approved for veterinary use. So older women with severe dry eye were forced to go to vets and lie about their poor beagle with keratoconjunctivitis sicca. Or find vets who would just sell them the stuff. Suffering middle aged housewives broke the law all the time to lay hands on this dry eye treatment, so they could get a little relief. For enough cash, vets violated the law as well (they're not supposed to prescribe for humans)
    And that is just an eye drop.
    An eye drop.
    If there is money, and need, violations occur.

8. OH MY GOODNESS thank you illadelphin. FYI naysayers I've successfully ventured 'round the county and found a legit, professional dispensary right by my house. And I'm totally accepted, no problem. I don't understand why people are against my desire to legally purchase pot. Isn't it one more person on the side of legalization?

I also want to thank Shivian for his awesome list. Thanks mucho.

But please, carry on, I've learned a lot reading through this controversial post I started. Just don't pity me people; I've now got something to keep me asleep at night. ;)

9. Which one?

I have a couple faves that people don't really know about.

10. I have nothing against you becoming legal, just when you go to get your renewal, go to a more reputable doctor.

11. FAR too many of you have no idea what the MMJ situation is currently looking like in Socal. The people looking to disband the system, KNOW of these dirty doctors and it is one of their main points in argument, if not THE main point in argument. It is common knowledge that if anyone wishes to obtain a rec without any medical problem, they should go to Venice. Some of those "doctors" are operating out of hotel rooms, doing group evaluations for profit. You'd be surprised how many patients a day some of those "doctors" are seeing. Why is it my business, or the business of Wildwill and any other medical patient? By obtaining a rec from one of these shady "doctors", you are directly supporting them, hence, legitimizing the argument most people against MMJ are trying to make. If you don't have a medical condition, for the love of god, don't give your money to these doctors! We live in California, one of the biggest weed hotspots of the world, finding some quality without a doctors note is not a problem.

12. Amen brother. +rep

13. yes. i smoke pot for recreational purposes and i would never think of getting a 215 just for the fact that i dont need it. i get by just fine on my own and i run the risk of getting caught out of my own free will. if you need marijuana as a medicine then its right for you. its not right for me so i will never get it. i dont understand why people want to get these cards under false terms. it kind of brings the struggle for legalization back a notch.

14. Not to mention the fact that these doctors WILL NOT back you up in court. So if you do get arrested or cited or whatever for weed, your rec will quickly become almost worthless. It's really a good idea to go to a more reputable doc.

15. Seems like this tread should be turned into a sticky about not going to venice beach to get a rec

16. Wouldn't work anyway. We can't even convince people not to lie about a qualifying condition just to get a card, it would even be tougher to convince people not to go to a potdoc who will give you a card just for handing over some cash.

17. Its not just Venice Beach, I've had friends go to the same shady doctors in Oakland, LA, and San Francisco.

Definitely not a singled out type of thing, these shady doctors love the MMJ biz.

18. Unfortunately this is very true. In San Diego I understand that one doctor set up at a Reggae Festival. It saddens me that doctors, men and women who have spent the time in school, have resorted to this amoral behavior in search of the all-mighty dollar.

19. #39 Bud4U, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
    i also see no problem with it. i mean the doc may not me available if he gets busted, but for people who get meds like i do (1/4 here...1/2 oz there) they should have no real problem with the law if conducting themselves and usage responsibly

i'm sure its the collectives perogative who they sell to or not...but no one should be turned away imo if they have a legit rec from a doc....not a rec from what the dispensary considers a legit doc

the state has put guidelines in place....some docs are more thorough then others with their examination. i paid $65 for my rec, went to a doctors office, had no paper work or medical records (but offered to take them in) and walked out with a rec. and in two out of the three dispensaries i have been to they have ads laid out for the place i went. its all legit

now if a doctor wants to hand out recs on the boardwalk....if that is his way...fine. its between him and the state. no one has come to arrest him....and he is legal. so i would think his recs should be regarded the same as mine, yours, or anyone else at a dispensary

this should be getting easier for people...not harder

edit: i must agree it does look somewhat bad for the MMJ movement. but its this or increasingly tighter regulation i fear. and i don't hear anyone of weight in the MMJ movement calling for change regarding this. so....

oh, and so far as the SD raids? meh...they'll get on with it. just gotta get used to the idea down there....drug war on the border and all

20. But that's the thing, the MMJ movement ALREADY looks bad (not somewhat bad, just bad in general) because so many illegitimate people have gotten recommendations through these doctors already. The general population as well as legislators are not stupid, it's common knowledge that almost anyone can get a recommendation because the availability of these dirty doctors. MMJ is still nowhere close to being completely accepted by everyone. If it was, why do you think so many dispesnaries are shut down by their respective city opposed to the feds?

Also, tighter regulation is inevitable the way things are looking. That is not a problem for me or any other legitimate patient, but eventually, the legislation is going to require patients to ACTUALLY have illnesses in order to qualify for a reccomendation. Please everyone, educate yourselves and don't support the dirty doctors who don't even care about the movement!