Just got my first light!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SuperPhreak, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Hey guys I just got my first grow light on Tuesday and decided to set it up in my closet today and test it. It is the Apollo Horticulture 400w kit off Amazon *link*. When I got it, the MH bulb was cracked and they are mailing out a new one at the moment, here is the test of the 400w. Only question for you guys is, is it normal for the ballast's fuse to blow out, repeatedly? It blew out both fuses it came with as soon as I plugged it in. For the third try I connected the fuse clips with a piece of wire and it works fine. Less safe I guess, but what do you think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yM66h4iTRw]LIGHTING - YouTube[/ame]

2. HOLY SHIT BATMAN.... DON'T do that. If the fuse is blowing something is wrong with the ballast. Return it.

3. Fuck alrighty. Thanks man.

4. [quote name='"Olde School"']HOLY SHIT BATMAN.... DON'T do that. If the fuse is blowing something is wrong with the ballast. Return it.[/quote]

Hell yea what he says. If something blows fuses repeatedly you better be scared if it stops blowing them. Fuses blowing is usually from something getting grounded out or drawing way too much current. If the fuse didn't blow you could have a fire or shock hazard on your hands.

5. kk I contacted the seller on amazon as well as the company who makes it. According to my research, it is the capacitor and most likely means a replacement.

6. #6 SuperPhreak, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
    Guys I went ahead and uploaded the clip from the first time it blew a fuse. Take a look. I am sending this to the seller on amazon with a msg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDkPRivCR5M[/ame]

7. Well that sucks...

Now you're probably going to have to wait weeks for a replacement.

8. Buying grow equipment online is about the worst thing I have ever heard of. You realize that there is an Amazon branch of the CIA and another in the DEA that watches for stuff like that right?

Just get your money back man and go to an HTC store in your area..

9. [quote name='"OneFreeMan"']Buying grow equipment online is about the worst thing I have ever heard of. You realize that there is an Amazon branch of the CIA and another in the DEA that watches for stuff like that right?

Just get your money back man and go to an HTC store in your area..[/quote]

Not everyone has an htg store in their area and ordering online is perfectly safe. Nobody is sitting around watching for grow light purchases.

10. #10 SuperPhreak, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
    No, there is not. Hahaha. LEO can't go on fishing trips bro. Besides, paid for with giftcards, under a fake name and all shipped to an abandoned house. All orders were done under VPN.

And yes, I know what I'm talking about, A+, Security+, GIAC certified.

11. Yeah, it's already gone through the courts, ordering lights & similar online is not grounds for a warrant as the products can conceivably be used for legitimate purposes. But screw Amazon, order from a reputable vendor with a well established web site AND a brick and mortar store with real people that you can speak to in case of problems.
    A $200 light doesn't seem like such a good deal when it burns down your house.
    Sorry you had problems, hopefully they will make it right.

12. Hey joker, good to see you around once again, hope all's well your way

13. Hey budderball, good seeing ya again. But that damned monkey of yours STILL has his hand on my girlfriend's tit... Wish he'd quit that:D

14. I hear that AM radio static again.........

15. Okay well the company sent me a prepaid label to ship it back to them, and email them when Fedex picks it up. Fedex got it today, emailed them and they said they are shipping out the replacement kit tomorrow. If anyone is looking for a light on amazon, I would love to recommend LowBaller's store, they have fucking amazing customer service. *They shipped out an MH bulb last week because the one that came with it was broken, didn't even need me to ship it back to them*

16. Great to hear they are taking good care of you.

17. I know I'm actually pretty impressed with the company. Better customer service than the fine folks at apple, and they are pretty cool too.;)