Just got my dogs spayed,looking for similar experiences

Discussion in 'Pets' started by MightyBreesh, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Well I got my two girls spayed,one on Wednesday and one on Friday. Violet (Wednesday) is healing beautifully, poor girl is hating being cooped up in her crate.
    Mia however had some complications, firstly she was bleeding more than normal during the surgery,after they closed her up they said they had to open her back up because she had signs of hemorrhage, well they found that one of her sutures had come loose in there and was bleeding. They fixed it,closed her up,with actual stitches that time (instead of the usual dissolving ones like Vi has) since they had to make the incision bigger to find the problem.
    She's home now recovering, I have to take her back in ten days to get her stitches removed. Anyway I'm wondering if any of you have any experience on after the stitches are out how much longer until completely healed. Obviously I'm going to ask the vet when we go back,just looking for similar experiences. Thanks guys!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

im glad to see your doggies are doing ok. i have to get my dog fixed, but i had so many bad experiances with what i will call unethical vets, i dont know if i can trust them to do open my babys up

3. About two years ago I got my German Shepherd fixed and she ended up with an infection. It swelled up huge and to be drained but after that, she healed up fine.

About 5 days ago I got my German Shepherd/Pit mix spayed and she had some trouble with it. Not with the actual spay, but with the idiot vet telling us to put peroxide on it. My mom put peroxide on it twice before I stopped to think about it because it seemed odd that we were supposed to be keeping the wound dry but were told to pour peroxide on it. Also, I didn't think pouring it into a fresh wound trying to close was the best idea. I called another few vets in the area and they said absolutely not, no more peroxide. By that time my dog's stomach had blistered up and almost started to look infected. We took her to another vet a few days ago, they checked to make sure it wasn't infected or opening, and gave up antibiotics and told us to give her benadryl because she was so itchy from the blisters that she wouldn't stop scratching herself. She's doing much better now.

My Shepherd was fine immediately after the stitches, and my mix is already acting like she's healed even though she's not. I don't know if it's the same for every dog but that's my experiences with spaying. 

4. Thanks! Violet's almost completely healed now,Mia is doing well,just waiting to get her stitches removed Wednesday, anxious to see how it looks without them. It's definitely scary to drop them off knowing what's about to happen. I think the worst part for me was the waiting all day at home,hoping somehow they know I'm coming back for them.

Do you have a boy or girl? When I had my boy fixed he was unbelievably quick to heal,he's a little dog with little parts so it was a little incision.

Maybe ask other pet owners for recommendations in your area?

5. Oh my goodness,peroxide?? What the hell was that vet thinking? Especially if your pup had dissolving stitches. I'm glad to hear she's doing better. My Mia is acting like her old self too, I really have only been taking her out of her crate to potty and for short on leash outings to the living room. I'm so paranoid because when she plays she gets crazy thrashing about on the floor,not good for a dog with stitches lol.