Just got first skillet and torch; the torch scares me.

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Piper1327, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Lol i know this is stupid but i just feel so dangerous in my room with a propane torch, even if its a small controlled flame and im only heating a 2 inch piece of metal but it still scares me using this torch.

Im worried of having propane sit in my room and suffocate me or something. I know this is dumb but i could really use some reassurance on this one Blades :smoking::eek:

2. Its all good just store it in a safe place and make sure you don't torch anything nearby with ambient flame.

3. Well smarty pants you're not supposed to use a propane torch anyway. I even think it'll leave a residue on your skipper over time.

Get a butane torch, like a vector or blazer, and you'll be much happier in the long run

Hey if you're feelin cheap I'm pretty sure amazon has them, creme brule torches are the same thing

4. Thanks for humoring me Pavilion. My friend also just said to be very careful with it around carpet. Also how much are the small hand held torches? im assuming those are safer than the big propane one i got.

5. This i also wondered about. but then again we use propane to grill our food that we eat do we not? Whats the difference?

6. I got a bernzomatic map fuel torch, it glows a glass wand in 3 seconds haha.

Cost a pretty penny but they easily last 20 years.

7. [quote name='"Piper1327"']

This i also wondered about. but then again we use propane to grill our food that we eat do we not? Whats the difference?[/quote]

Um good point, Idk I think the fact that you're inhaling the propane, that's the bad part.

The flame doesn't directly come in contact with the meat when you grill. You're just using the propane to cook

8. [​IMG]

9. How high do you have your grill man?

I keep my shit on medium and the flame never comes near it. It might flare up from the fat dripping but that's it.

Don't lol what me I'm trying to help you :p

10. Get a butane torch like this:

[​IMG]

Small flame, effective heating and it has a safety for the more paranoid users.

11. Your still not getting the point..... HOW does heating up a skillet= inhaling propane??

You STAND AT THE BBQ GRILLING inhaling fumes-

So that was his point-

Whatever YOU think you are inhaling by heating a skillet and taking a rip- is LESS than you inhale/consume by breathing fumes and from oils touching your food

12. Im looking into getting myself a handheld butane one. My last question for now would be will a butane lighter of this size still get the job done? i would be so much more comfortable with something that i can put in my pocket.

[​IMG]

13. Ok whatever keep using propane to heat your shit. I could care less I have a butane torch already.

Don't blow yourself up op :wave:

14. Actually propane is far safer- Its too rich to ignite by itself.

Butane on the other hand.... a pocket-sized bic lighter has the stored energy of a stick of dynamite- and has a VERY low flash point (leave it too close to a hot computer = boom)

15. Those little torches take forever to heat up Ti. Grab a Vector Nitro with lifetime warranty for around $60 or the same thing in plastic as a creme bruelee torch from Bed Bath and Beyond, which I think are like $30-$40.

16. Thats what i'm aiming for ;)

. . . .ya dick.

17. there are 2 differences, the first being that propane contains harmful stuff, its not ment to be used in a torch on anything your going to eat or inhale. a propane grill is a normal flame, not a torch, and that flame should be a good distance away from your food, its only providing the heat and your not sticking a vapor dome over it. this is also why you never see a propane torch in a restaurant kitchen, always butane only.
    the second is that propane burns too hot for heating titanium for this use. after about 15 to 20 hoots it going to start oxidizing, and you will be slowly poisoning yourself with titanium dioxide every time you use it. if you have used that propane torch on it more then a few times, i would clean the shit out of it with 99% iso and steel wool till it looks like its never been used, then re-season it.

18. The difference is that you aren't grilling on grade 2 titanium. The reaction that HBG is referring to is the specific chemical reaction between propane molecules and titanium ones.

Titanium has a natural oxide layer because of it reacting with oxygen, that's why the more you heat titanium the more the look, feel, and color of it will change. No matter what you use to heat titanium, it will oxidize. Propane creates a poisonous layer of oxide, called titanium dioxide (where as butane does not create any poisonous oxides). It's a white-ish dust-like layer. Accumulates over time, so you wouldn't necessarily see it because you're constantly introducing concentrates into the area. Titanium dioxide is considered a carcinogen for humans.

I would not be using a propane torch. Thats me.

19. i use the same shit and it is the best as far as heat. but u dont wanna heat ur shit this fast. even tho u do have the ability. heat it a bit slower, ur nails will live longer. op stick with what ur using. just be smart. any torch presents the same danger. get a bernzomatic if ur worried, its just as big, but uses mapp gas which will heat ur shit faster as stated. but it has a "dead mans switch" meaning if u let go of the button u use to turn it on it turns off. nothing to worry about. just use common sense.

Bless

-G

20. ive been using a propane torch for about 2 years now. i have 2 ti nails with hardly any oxidation if any at all, compared to some of my friends with vectors who heat their ti until its bright ass red and have white residue all over their shit. i wont even hit some of my friends nails. as long as you stop heating it up before it gets super red it wont oxidize. correct me if im wrong but it is the heat thats creating the oxidation right?