Just got fired...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by TheSingingStoner, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Does not matter. If the companies policy is zero tolerance there is absolutely nothing she can do.

2. I know. I'm just glad to be done with the place so I don't have to worry about getting injured because everyone's drunk.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to get one. I may look into it if I go back to a job that tests or I get caught, but for now I'm good.

4. So, the full legal power of the entire state of California is nothing compared to the rights of private corporations? I'm not being funny, just super curious about how this would pan out, what do you have to back this up? If my employer says "you're canned for having weed in ur system," but I hit back with "I have a legitimate medical condition" I really think I have a case,

5. It's the power of the federal law that the employer has backing him up.
    Plus they can write anything they want in their policies and if you violate them they can fire you for it. We get tested for nicotine in our systems because I signed a paper saying I don't smoke so I get a 120$ month deduction on my health insurance premium.

6. I don't have a perscription and it's only medically legal in my state

7. #47 killset, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    It's still federally illegal, so insurance companies use that to their favor and require drug test in order for the company to receive coverage.

You can say you have a legit reason all you want it's still federally illegal.

You agree to the companies policies when you vuntarily took the job no matter ehat that is. Nobody forced you. The op don't even have a med card anyway, not that it would matter if the companies policy is to test. So it's 100% illegal for her. You can't just say i need it and make it legal and over write the companies policy

What do I have to back this up? My job description entails giving drug test in a med legal state. I'm trained and fully qualified. Federal law and company policy that an employee voluntarily agrees too trump how you feel it should work. The I'm is screwed and the company was well within the rights to fire.

Even in recreational legal states companies can and do still drug test for Mary Jane and can terminate employment because of it. It's been a controversy in states like Colorado, but companies are well within their rights to require drug tests for their employees

8. Sounds like everything worked out. That job wasn't worth it.

Don't kill yourself for a job that would replace your ass in a week if you died right now: Take care of yourself. Love that meme

9. Ok that's cool I appreciate your coherent response, but this means that a state is basically completely powerless, and the fact that it's legal, being sold in public stores, and in 2018 pretty much the same thing as booze in Cali.. i mean all those things don't lend any credence? if it's so bad how can I go to a store in America, and tender cash for this product? for something that I can do this with to be illegal, makes absolutely no sense. I'm not asking to clarify the divide between federal and state powers like absolutely, although that is the issue.. for those two entities to not be the same is weird,

10. sorry to hear that
    makes me feel sad about living in this planet wish i could move

Arc

11. The state isn't powerless but they can't force a company to hire stoners. Even if weed was 100% legal for everyone all a company would have to do is add drug tests for thc into their contract when they hire someone. Once the potential employee agrees to take the job they also agree to the drug tests.

Booze are legally sold, yes. If someone comes to work positive for alcohol they're fired. Until there's a way to test for thc to show rather a person is currently under the influence at the time of the test things are going to stay the way they are.

Federally illegal trumps state legality in this matter. A contract between an employer and employee trumps both. If an employer wants to require their employees to go bowling on Monday night's all they have to do is put it in their policies. Once an employee agrees to take the job they better get bowling if they want to keep a job.

I'm willing to bet you're young and haven't had much experience in the work place. You seem really void of much knowledge on such. State or feds don't set all the rules for an employer. If it's in their policy to test, then once you take that job be ready to be tested.....you did voluntarily agree to their policy or they wouldn't have hired you.

12. Only exception, that I am aware of is Arizona's medical program.

View Document

A. No school or landlord may refuse to enroll or lease to and may not otherwise penalize a person solely for his status as a cardholder, unless failing to do so would cause the school or landlord to lose a monetary or licensing related benefit under federal law or regulations.

B. Unless a failure to do so would cause an employer to lose a monetary or licensing related benefit under federal law or regulations, an employer may not discriminate against a person in hiring, termination or imposing any term or condition of employment or otherwise penalize a person based upon either:

1. The person's status as a cardholder.

2. A registered qualifying patient's positive drug test for marijuana components or metabolites, unless the patient used, possessed or was impaired by marijuana on the premises of the place of employment or during the hours of employment.

C. For the purposes of medical care, including organ transplants, a registered qualifying patient's authorized use of marijuana must be considered the equivalent of the use of any other medication under the direction of a physician and does not constitute the use of an illicit substance or otherwise disqualify a registered qualifying patient from medical care.

D. No person may be denied custody of or visitation or parenting time with a minor, and there is no presumption of neglect or child endangerment for conduct allowed under this chapter, unless the person's behavior creates an unreasonable danger to the safety of the minor as established by clear and convincing evidence.

One of the few things AZ got half right.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Who decides if the employee is impaired? His boss? The company? Say he smoked last night maybe 10 hours ago to help sleep, came to work today and was just having a bad day. Then some boss comes along and says that guy keeps messing up and doesn't seem himself must be impared..... test him. Theres no test currently that will seperate this morning from last night. The guy fails obviously, who wins, employer or employee?

Sounds like another grey area to the already existing grey area

14. Could be grey, but so far it seems like the employee has the upper hand, especially taken in context with the rest of the law.

Of course there are federal employees and special positions where no usage is allowed.

:smoke:

15. On what basis? The Americans with Disabilities Act maybe, if that condition is covered.

16. Kinda young but I've been working in a corporate lab setting (now doing drug screening via LCMSMS) for over 10 years now. I don't know, I can't help fight this perspective I have of living on land in america. That to me trumps driving to work. I feel like we haven't even been discussing the true source of this debate and that is whether or not you truly feel that being stoned is a great impairment to being able to do ur job. Coming in drunk is classically bad, you can't focus, you're head hurts maybe, you're drunk! But being stoned is a lot more mellow, I know a lot of people who function even better on complicated tasks while high. Some in college did their engineering homework high. All these aspects are why it's legal, it doesn't hurt anyone.

17. #57 killset, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Double post

Attached Files:

18. #58 killset, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    There is no debate. A debate is when there's two opposing sides. We're not opposing sides. All I'm doing is sharing how things actually and legally work in America. Its fact and can and does happen legally every single day.

My job is fast pace and dangerous. Impairment lowers production, quality and worst of all puts lives at risk. Let's say our crane operator is tending us at 200 feet in the air and stoned putting me and everyone else's lives at risk. 1 mistake we fall 200 feet to our death. He won't have to worry about being fired because that's coming right after the ass beating he'll take from those anyone who wasn't thrown off and survived. Some easy jobs stoners can get by being high. ...not mine. Engineering you set in a nice safe office, not everyone has what we jokingly refer too as a sissy job. I'm a stoner, a grower and a superintendent for a large commercial construction outfit. My crew is hand picked by me. Lots of my employee stoners get weed from me. They know it's stupid to do our jobs stoned. I don't care what they do outside of work but yes I will fire someone who comes high and puts all of our lives at risk. It doesnt matter which is better drunk or high, neither is good enough. Thats a childish mentality when lives are at stake. Being high can most definetly hurt some one....ive seen it. From small injuries to career ending accidents, even death...its foolish to think being high is safe or productive on all jobs. If so, you must be getting shit weed. I got rid of a guy last year for coming to work stones. He couldn't keep up because he was off in La la land. 1 wrong step and he could of fell off the top of an 11 story hospital. His job that day was installing safety railing. He put us all in danger, some of the railing he installed wasn't installed correctly. He was a great worker but let getting high put us all at risk. I have no regrets.

Weed isn't legal it's sort of half ass legal and is not safe or productive for all jobs unless you get shit weed that doesn't get you high Definition of impairment View attachment 2383902

19. There are woodworkers in the Kootenays missing digits because they operated really big saws while high.

• Like Like x 1
  20. That's the only reason getting fired irked me so much. I'm not stupid enough to go to work in a factory setting impaired. Especially not when I saw people getting hurt because of the drunks. It just irritated me that they didn't go after the people with the most potential to injure someone at all because all of the bosses were in on it.