Just got a high end bong, need help with an ash catcher

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by koruptyg, Jul 14, 2017.

?

Should I add an AC?

1. Yes, any will do

16.7%
  2. Yes, but a simple one

50.0%
  3. No

33.3%
  1. sick piece i cant even see it trough, theres so much shit going on. sick

2. If you want an ash catcher, it'll be for looks. Any will do.

Your bong already has decent diffusion. IMO, ash catchers are for cheap bongs or for looks.

3. How's that?. my ashcatcher keeps my piece a shitload cleaner than before I had one on it and my piece isn't exactly a piece that can just be scrubbed clean so if I pull the ash through it makes a nasty mess compared to just pulling it through the ashcatcher... why would I spend a 30-40 bucks on an ashcatcher for a cheap bong o_O

Hell if I had a bong over half a grand I'd be using an ashcatcher glass screens resin block and everything else to keep that baby clean...

4. Clean your bong more often?

When I had cheap bongs, i used ash catchers to keep the bong cleaner.

I have a nicer piece of glass now (mobius), and WANT to keep it clean by rinsing every few nights and doing alcohol soaks every few weeks.

If you're too lazy, pay for an ash catcher, they all work the same. No need to spend a crap ton of money on a name brand ash catcher when a $20 one will do.

5. If I pull the crap through the honeycomb perk I'm fucked no matter how much I rinse..

6. just make sure you get a ash catcher that has the neck hole the furthest* away from the perc tubes where the smoke exits. that way you avoid the most shit. the smaller and thinner percs it has the better too, like a showerhead disc or something. [​IMG]

7. Don't snap it so hard? Sometimes you'll pull greens through too

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. #28 MtRainDog, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Huge Leisure Glass fan myself, I own 2 of Luke Wilson's Incyclers. They are by far my favorite concentrate pieces, but I've never considered smoking flower out of them...

If you don't want to change the way the piece hits, then yeah, grab a dry A/C. I own the Apix Designs Orb style dry A/C and it's perfect. Doesn't introduce any drag, and keeps the solids out of your piece. Sovereignty also makes a similar one, but good luck finding one.

I had Dan over at Apix Design blow a matching "frumunda cheese" colored Orb A/C to match my Stemline. Works great, and Dan is a real gent to work with. Can't beat the price either.

IMG_1872.JPG

9. The way I was reasoning with if the piece could be used for flower or not is quite simple, I am not sure if it is right though. The first thing I took into account was that it was advertised as a flower and oil piece on the web page and Aqualabs seems to be quite knowledgeable since they've been in the game for a long time. Then I figured that since it does have a lot of diffusion it should be able to handle flowers quite well as most dab rigs I've seen have minimal diffusion, I actually find it kind of strange that it has so much diffusion for a dab rig considering the other dab rigs I've seen had almost none compared to this one. The thing that I think speaks against this being a flower piece is the size. Keep in mind that I'm not very knowledgeable, it is just reasoning from my current understanding of things.

I'm currently sitting with pen and paper trying to design an idea that I would like to bring to Dan, also investigating the other options TheKen gave me too. With the options that I got I managed to "click" myself further to find more artists that do some custom work. But like you said, Dan seems to be a pleasure to work with and he responded within a few minutes of the inquiry.

It is very hard to design a piece when you don't have full understanding of the concepts behind glass blowing so I've tried to read up a little and it is starting to get a more clear. I will however only bring a concept to the table then the glass blower I choose will be able to modify it if it is shit. Idea is that I want the aesthetics to fit in with the piece and the slide, to somehow bind them together.

Also looked into Fishbone and I'll see if he might be able to add some work without fucking up a new piece, I have no clue if it is safe or not. Tried to find a worked swiss tree incycler but to my knowledge checking up on LW and his re-sellers I couldn't find any.

/K

10. I have a Toro Macro ISF, which is definitely an oil piece and smaller than your incycler, but it handles flowers surprisingly well. Point being, your piece may work quite well with flowers, or it might suck. You just have to try it.

If you find you like smoking flower out of it, I would throw an A/C on it just to keep solids out. Incyclers with their internal funnel chamber can be a little tricky to clean, so I'd want all the help I could get.

Also make sure you use a diffused slide. A diffused slide will limit drag (your piece probably has a decent chug to it already). Diffused slides also help with not getting solids into your piece (there's no vortex, pulling action like you get with normal one-hole slides) so the burnt material kinda stays put.

I'd recommend Leisure's diffused slides to go with your Leisure Swiss Tree:
    IMG_1873.JPG

11. If you want the most simple ash catcher, just get a CarBall and put a screen in that. That way you don't have to worry about heating up a screen and almost no floaties will come through. And given that it's basically an 18mm bit of pipe, it won't add any drag or change the characteristics of the bong. Also it's very light, small, and in-line so it won't mess up the balance on a small piece.

If you want a perc'd ash catcher, then there is no real way around it influencing the way the bong rips. I've got a bunch of different precoolers/ash catchers. In my experience, the double helix one is the smoothest pull, but also the most draggy. The 3-arm tree is a decent balance between weight, drag and chuggyness. The 8-arm tree is smoother and less draggy than the 3-arm, but considerably heavier. It won't tip a heavy beaker, but it will topple a smaller piece. Then there is the Blaze glass recycling honeycomb, which is probably the most effective in stopping crap, it has basically no drag, but is rather chuggy. Also because the downtube and the joint are 90 degrees offset, it is sort of clumsy to use, given that it isn't that well balanced by itself.
    Last but not least I have the mother of all precoolers, the BL Triple Perc. Which is a precooler, not an ash catcher and requires the use of an ashcatcher on top of it.

All in all if I had to give someone advice, knowing nothing about their style of smoking, I'd recommend the blaze honeycomb recycler. Due to the low drag and excellent ash catching. Even if the percolation isn't really warranted given their setup.

But in the end it really is largely personal preference. I swap out ACs depending on what I smoke and with what setup.