Just got a clone, what do I do?...HELP! *PICS*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bi0x, Mar 6, 2011.

1. #1 bi0x, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    Hi

So, I was lucky enough to obtain a clone today, so my first grow (journal here) now has at least one guaranteed female.

The problem is...THIS THING IS HUGE!!! It's much, much bigger than I thought it would be, and as you can see in the pictures, much further along than my 15 day old seedlings.

I also noticed that this clone already has (what I believe to be) pistils forming at the nodes. Does this mean it's already starting to flower? I'm not 100% sure of the plants prior treatment, so I don't know what kind of light cycle it was on, or what kind of soil it's in. All I was told was that it was "sterilized". Can I safely transplant it into FFOF?

Also, I only have one tent, and I think the person I obtained the clone from intended for me to clone it also, and use it as a mother. I suppose that's not a bad idea...but again, I only have one tent. :( I also don't know how to clone (yet).

Please take a look at my pictures, and tell me what I can do. If I absolutely have to, I'll go out and buy another tent/light setup, but my budget really isn't excited about that option. Can I possibly top this clone & get it more in line with the age of the other plants? I was planning on starting 12/12 when my other plants were (around) the height that the clone is now...my tent isn't suitable for much bigger than that.

What are my options? Is my clone already beginning to flower, or are those not pistils?

Rep & many thanks to anyone that can help!!! :hello:

Attached Files:

2. build a rumple cloner... the thread says how to clone... it only uses water

if your planning on keeping the new clone as a mother it needs veg light, not flower light

so find some place to stick your new clone with its own light...

3. Guess I'll search for that. Not sure what thread you're referring to?

What do you mean, veg light? It's under a 250W MH lamp & 4x 100W CFLs. Did you think I had the rest of those plants under flowering light? I'm confused by this statement, maybe you can elaborate.

Anyways, I'm thinking my options are this:

1) Get another small tent, something like the DR40 (1'4" x 1'4" x 3'11") & a small 150W light fixture. Problem is, I can only find them with HPS setups. This (in my opinion) would be a perfect home if I decided to keep this clone as a mother, and hopefully I can get a clipping off her for this initial grow right around the time my seedlings have caught up.

2) Grow this one out with the rest of the plants, but LST what I can to keep the cannopy even. Hopefully my seedlings will catch up in the height dept, and I'll have 4 unknown & 1 large female when I go into 12/12. Maybe I can also grab a clone off the current clone before I send her into flower for the next grow. :confused_2:

3) Insert better advice here

BUMP FOR MORE HELP!

4. http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/444974-lets-build-clone-machine-*step-step*.html

when you say your using 100 watt cfl's is that replacement value or actual wattage... my guess is replacement... and what Kelvin are the cfl's? different spectrums of cfl's are like using MH/HPS... you have to use specific kelvin ratings to induce flowering and veg a plant

great idea getting a smaller tent to put your mother plant in... but i wouldn't get the dr40.. you are suppose to use the flaps for intake air and theirs only the one five inch opening for extraction of air and heat... not really a good way to provide a light tight enviroment without alot of work, this one is much better... its a little more but a very solid purchase
    Secret Jardin DR60 Grow Tent - Greners.com

5. Well, before I read your post, I went ahead and picked up the DR40 & 150W SunSystem HPS light from my local store.

I honestly couldn't feel dumber than I do right now. The tent seems way too small, even for one plant. And yes, the light would fit perfectly, but it's an HPS/Ballast setup, and would definitely need some extraction fan, which is going to run me another $200. I really don't have an extra $200 right now. Fuck my life.

I'm going to try to return the light/tent tomorrow, since it's really not what I need, but now I'm stuck with a DR60 that won't hold 5 plants when they're ready for 12/12. They barely fit in there now with the 1 clone & 4 seedlings.

I've got 4 unknowns that would have fit perfectly in there by themselves, but now with the clone, I'm completely lost on what to do. :(:(:(

Oh, and I also transplanted the clone into a better home. The soil held together decently, and then all fell apart when I went to transplant it - the roots were clearly exposed, and I almost panicked, and quickly filled the surrounding area with dirt while I held the plant upright. She's standing up now, but I have no idea how badly I botched the transplant. Sigh.

Attached Files:

6. Bump for the night shift!

Still wondering what to do with this clone. It's (obviously) much bigger than my other 4 plants, which I have no idea what sex they'll be, but at least I know the clone is female.

I was hoping the clone would be much smaller when I got it, and more in line with my other 4 so they could all grow together. Now I've got an overcrowded tent :mad:

Can I trim the clone down a bit so the canopy is a bit lower, giving the others time to catch up, or is that a terrible idea? The clone looks much more stressed than my other plants, but reasonably so. I'm hoping she bounces back.

Also, do you think I've got enough room in that tent to at least sex all 4 of my seedlings, along with my clone, if I decide to go 12/12 at the earliest possible time? I'm only expecting to flower 3 plants in that tent, so if I end up with more females, they're either turning into a new mother, or getting chopped. I just want to get to that point first.

7. throw out one of your unknown for a female... seems to make the most sense

8. I'm plagued by the idea that the one I throw out, might be the only female in the bunch. I'd rather figure out a way to at least sex them with the space I have, and then make the decision on which ones get the chop.

9. Hey man,

Too many plants is a problem many people strive for, don't loose sight of that. Keep in mind you don't want to throw all the plants into flowering until the sex is determined (you'll be in seed city) instead of topping the clone can yo0u raise the seedlings to make them as tall or taller then the clone?

I would take clones of the clone (look up air layering as a method I had incredible success with it) this would take mass from your clone and redistribute it, I'd scrap the seedlings unless they are special order. Bag seeds can get difficult to deal with quickly.

Hope this helps

10. Hey man, thanks for the words of wisdom :D

Since I last posted, I moved the clone out of the tent with the other 4 unknowns. I put the clone under her own 125W CFL (actual wattage, not equivalent). Also gave her a few 25W CFLs on the side to supplement.

I'm not going to ditch the bagseed, as I've been told it's quite good, and the plants look fantastic so far (see my signature for my updated journal).

I do intend to turn this clone into a mother, so hopefully this 125W CFL can keep her alive & maybe even grow her out a bit further while I determine the sex of my other 4.

I'm hoping to always have a veg setup & a flowering setup at any given time, so we'll see how this plays out on the time scale.

11. Curious about where you got the price of $200 for a fan for that little grow tent? For less then that on Ebay you can get a 4" fan, filter and ducting that will do that tent or one a little bigger no problem. If your not worried about smell you can skip the filter and save some more money. Craigslist.org is a great place to look for used equipment the only thing I wouldnt get used on that site is grow bulbs.