just got a bird

Discussion in 'Pets' started by JetzFlyHigh, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Hey guys, i've always been a pet lover. i've had a lot of parrots, chickens, about 5 dogs, hamsters, gerbils, fish tanks, couple cats during the past 10 years.

right now i only have a fish tank and wanna get a dog soon. so last night, me and a friend smoked and went to petsmart. we saw zebra finches and i bought one on the spot because i was high lol. i didn't think about it. now i have a little finch in a cage.
    i love the bird but i stopped keeping birds because i hate keeping birds indoors. i just feel like they should be out in the trees. so right now, i am really tempted to free this bird.
    should i just free him and return the cage or try to sell him and the cage and food on craigslist?
    i would totally build a decent size aviary in the backyard but i really won't have time for it and its not safe with a dog. i'd rather just have a big fish tank and a dog.

what should i do? it was an instinct buy.

2. This is ridiculous and freeing the bird would be absurdly irresponsible lol. Try bringing the bird back to the store

3. Lmfao try baking it into a pie?

4. Just return it and the cage to petsmart. The pets there have a 14 day return policy. That would be much better than releasing it. Releasing a bird that has been raised in captivity would be the equivalent of sentencing it to death. good luck!

5. it's a finch man, those birds are so common, at least here anyway. Tie its wings, load it into a skeet launcher... PULL!

6. The bird is the word

Omega369 :wave:

7. I'll take it

8. I work at petsmart, you can take it back for a refund.

9. Just eat it, protein and whatnot

10. Um, it wasn't an "instinct" buy it was an "impulse" buy. If your instincts were working you wouldn't have bought it.

11. Freeing this bird would be a total dick-move..

Purchasing or attempting to keep any animal in captivity without doing your research first is very irresponsible.

Zebra finches are native to Australia, and even releasing one in it's native range is bad, because it lacks the survival skills to forage and doesn't know what animals are killers or not. Just return it, and prepare for a pet beforehand..

12. Train it to be your messenger bird

13. I'll still take it.

14. no don't give it back to petsmart, pet stores are fucked up places. put an ad for the little guy on kijiji or craigslist and give him to someone who will love him.

15. What are you talking about? I can't speak for all but PetSmart is a great company that does great things for animals. I handle all the animals daily and guess what, they are not aggressive or afraid. We get animals that are always in good health, and if they are not will be taken to the vet repeatedly until it is treated. There is a TON of expense that goes into the health of the animals, we do not simply just put animals in the back and let them die. Selling animals on craigslist is ridiculous as you do not know where the bird is going, at least with us all sales are documented with their name, number, and address.

16. Petsmart had a nasty habit of selling wild caught animals back in the day..

They have made an impressive rebound in recent times, and I applaud them for doing the right thing..

Petco needs to follow their example.

17. While I cannot say PetSmart was not in the wrong, it was the suppliers and breeders who did this. But PetSmart does make the conscious decision on who their animals come from, luckily lately they have been really amping up their standards. It is a unique buisness