Just gave my Agromax a test run last night

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Johhnyblaze44, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Whats up GC, first time grower. I just got my whole setup finally finished. I have a

4x4x6.5 Agromax grow tent
    600 Watt Dimable Ballast
    6 inch air cooled hood
    hps/mh bulbs
    Phresh 6x16 carbon filter 400cfm
    6 inch hydrofarm inline fan 400cfm

I spent alot of time reading/research on this forum and i learned alot in the last couple months :gc_rocks: So i finally decided to run my tent with everything setup. I have the carbon filter and inline fan on the floor for now. Im not sure what i can use to hold the fan up. I bought some bungee cords and it worked for my carbon filter but not the fan. Would i be able to leave the filter/fan on the ground? I have it set up so air goes up though the ---->Carbon Filter--->Inlinefan--->air cooled hood--->outside the tent. (see pics below) I ran the tent for 16 hours as a test and temps were low 80s with the lights on and the lowest temp with the lights off is 70. I didnt run the 6 inch fan i have on the ground. Its a little airking fan i found online for 20 bucks and it doesnt work or osculate so i have to return in tomorrow before work. Does anyone know of any good fans i can buy online?

Heres the setup. Should i keep the filter/fan on the ground or mount it up above the hood??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Im also using soil with 5 gallon smart pots

2. *update i left for a few hours and when i get back temps were up to 91. I dont have any osculating fans in the tent yet tho. How much would temps drop with a fan or 2 in there and how big of fans should i get. Im going to return that 6 inch airking junk tomorrow

3. You setup is similar to mine except for the tent size... Here is a way to mount everything to the top of the tent. I would put that fan/filter to the top so this way you'll be able to grow one more plant or 2 depending on your growing method. Ballast with hd zip ties... Drilled holes in the frame to screw the fan bracket to the top and the other side's bracket serves as a hook. for the filter you can see that I've been using straps that came with my tent but you can get those at pretty much any harware store. I am running a 600W air cooled reflector tube with a 6" fan and carbon filter in this little 1.7' x 3' x 5' grow tent. and my temps never go more than 85F. You don't want to have tooo much wind on the plants and 1 or 2 small oscillating fan is enough. Those little fans won't really make your grow room cooler, it's just gonna discipate the heat from your HPS everywhere in the grow tent and this way you won't have a big hot spot under the hood. Maybe you should find a way to get cooler air entering the tent or hot air exiting outside (AC or outside air intake or exhaust).. Good luck!

Attached Files:

4. Thanks bro, im going to try and run to the hardware store and get that inline fan/filter hooked up. About how much feet of ducting should i need. I didnt measure at all when i i first hooked all this up since i knew it was pretty much a "rough draft" i did notice that when i left the door of the room my tent was in open my temps were steady at 80-81 degrees when the lights were on. When i went to some errands last night and locked the door and everything
    thats when the temps were up to 90-91. I know its a learn as u go process so im sure it will just take a couple tweaks to get everything right :D:smoking:

5. So i found out the problem, my ducting popped a little bit off the inline fan. I tapped it back on better and ran it for about 4 hours and temps are around 84. Is that too hot for seedlings/vegging or will i have to have it cooler? I still have to through an oculating fan in there, any ideas of what size would be best for my 4x4x7 tent?

6. i ran mine similar, but the only way i could get good temps without a/c is i had to buy an extra fan just for the hood. had to vent it like this room>fan>tent>outside and also carbon filter>room>fan(outside of the tent). not sure how much heat the fans put out being inside the tent but since i switched it this way, it works much better. anything around 85F is bad imo..the surface temp of the plants with the light on them gets much warmer than the air temp lower in the tent. at 80F i start to get a little worried and run a/c in the summer but i usually aim for low to mid 70s to be perfect.

7. I knew I should of got a cooltube. I thought my problem was going to be my temps to cold but its the opposite : /

8. well if the hood is sealed it should be the same thing as a cool tube. i just found that the lights didnt create such a giant heat increase if i pulled cool air in through the hood and directly outside of the room. how its set up now, you are pulling 85F air over the bulb to try and cool it down which doesnt work very well imo.

9. Do you have any pics of your setup? I'm having trouble figuring out how to mount my inline fan. I have some bungee cords for my carbon filter but I can get my fan mounted

10. you want everything that generates heat outside of the tent for sure. i mounted my fans on the wall as close as possible to the tent then ran a few feet of ducting from the filter to the 1st fan then left the output side open to blow into the room. Then your room/tent is smell free and also creates negative pressure in the tent for a passive intake and can bring in fresh, cool air to help cool it even more. To remove most of the heat from the light i ran ducting from the coolest area possible(outside of the room) into the tent and connected to my hood. Then from the other side of the hood i have ducting going out of the tent and hooked up to my 2nd fan, then push the hot air back outside of the room. this way the air that is keeping the light cool doesn't need to be scrubbed at all (if you don't have leaks in your ducting) and can be put on a fan controller to kick on higher if the temps increase to a certain point and can shut it off when the lights are off. The reason i did it this way was to be able to push how ever much air i want through the hood and since it doesn't need to be scrubbed you don't need to follow the cfm rating on a carbon filter. If you can successfully remove just about all of the heat generated by the light it will cost much less than running a/c to compensate for the dramatic temp changes and also reduces the risk of powdery mildew.

The way i had it before i had to keep the room right around 60F with the lights on to make sure it never went higher than 85F in the tent. there was on average a 15F-20F temp change between lights on and lights off. now i have it to about a 5F change or less depending on how cool the air is coming in. the temp in my room can be about 75-80 now before needing a/c for that room, which is a big change in the power bill.

heres a little diagram to better clearify :p
    [​IMG]

11. Thanks man. The picture really helped :) what size fans do you have with your setup?