Just built a pretty legit grow box.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NuggaChron, Jan 4, 2012.

1. i built an okay grow box, definitly worthy of trying something out, i am just doing it for the fun of it.

i didnt have all the materials i needed at my house so i pulled out a strand of christmas lights and lined up the blue and red ones and made it into a lamp type grow light thing. i put a germinated seed in there today, ill let you guys know what happens,i saw people asking if this was possible in other furums.
    i know its retarded.

2. Well, if they're the LED kind, they may produce enough light for seedlings. May. I really don't know?? But go spend a few bucks and get some CFLs or at least a T5 light and fixture please haha. Or is this going to be some sort of experimental grow? Just don't expect too much...

3. Yeah, its mostly just experimental because i have seen the unanswered question on forums like i said haha. when it comes time im going to grow outdoorslike i usually do. this is just to see if itspossible. i didnt want to spend my paycheck, just win the science fair haha. jk.:D

4. It won't work. Not the correct color spectrum, and no where near enough power. You would have to throw something like 15-20 strands of lights in there to sustain any sort of healthy growth, and even then it would be minimal, and still not enough to flower. Those LED's probably put out about 50mW of power. You want AT LEAST 1w of power per bulb, but preferably 3w.

It's a cool idea, but if it worked then all of the LED growers would just buy strands of x-mas lights rather than dropping the hundreds of dollars on proper LED growing lights.

5. whats the cheapest light that would work for 2 plants

6. I want cheap then CFL's is the way to go.

7. Not neccesarily. For 2 plants you would need AT LEAST 150W of CFL's, The most commonly purchased CFL's are the 23W ones, so I will assume those are the ones you would be buying.

So you would need 7 CFL's, as well as all the equipment (y socket splitters, power cords, power strips, etc.) to install and hang them. You are probably looking at around $60 - $70. You can get a 150W HPS that will work perfect for 2 plants for about that same price. Then you are getting the benefits of HID lighting as well.

Just something to think about, CFL's are definately capable, but there are other options.

8. I built a 2x2x5' grow cabinet out of a Walmart DIY dresser and have 4- 26w CFLs and 1-90w UFO led from HTG with some good computer fans I spliced together as venting all from info on this site! Check out my setup(cheap plug) lol