Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

just bought a 5 piece grinder???

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mtbandmetal, May 20, 2009.

1. yeah i just bought a five piece grinder. Uh, what's the point? It has 2 screen. i attached a pic. I think i'm just going to take one of the screens out unless someone gives me a reason to use it.

Attached Files:

2. i thought keif was keif. does it matter if it's finer or not?

3. Personal choice, why buy a 5 piece grinder if its only going to be used as a 4 piece?

4. Finer screens make for purer kief. Kief is not kief. Most grinders let too much green matter through with the kief so it's not really as pure as some like.

5. it was $15 and they said it was their best one.

6. Not all 'kief' or 'blonde hash' or 'dry-sieve hash' is made equal.

Its all about micron size.

"Flat Screens
    Flat screens are just that: a flat piece of screen stretched taut and fastened to a frame. This is a really basic way of making hash, but that doesn’t mean the quality has to suffer. At your local art store ask for nylon silkscreen and what micron they have available. A 110-micron screen is optimum, but anything in the 60–140 micron range works fine. Small prefabricated screens and frames are usually available at art supply stores for screen-printing, although most places keep 110-120 off the order sheet. If you want to keep your mission stealth, ask for the proper mesh size instead of microns, as that’s the method of calculating size art stores tend to use. Mesh size counts opposite to that of microns, so the larger the number the tighter the screen with mesh. About 120 is the crossover point where they are both about the same (and for dry sieve the best size to go with), but 80-140 threads per square inch (100-175 micron) is useable. A 325-threads-per-square-inch (tpsi) mesh size is equivalent to the 45-micron lower bag that catches the small gland heads. The main 70-micron catch bag in most sets is about 200 tpsi in mesh size, and the top strainer bags of 185 and 220 microns is 80 and 70 tpsi respectively. Given the option, take monofilament over the multifilament mesh. If no proper screen is available for this method, or that of the tumbler (below), a pair of pantyhose is a fine alternative. Not the best by any means but it will work. Stretch the panty hose to get larger holes, yielding more, but lower grade. I’ve seen people use sheets, t-shirts, coffee filters, and all sorts of other material, but the qualities were never that great. Take your screen material, stretch it over a container (bowl, plate, plastic food container), and keep it in place with elastic bands, tape, or clips. Place shake on top of the taut nylon mesh and drag the shake over the screen with a credit card, pressing it against the material so the resin heads come off. A glass table or mirror underneath makes the collection process much easier. Simply scrape up whatever you collect, and you’ve got flat screen hash."
    How To Make Hash | Cannabis Culture Magazine

Great article about hash and kief by the way.