Just because you feared it

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by hairblairbunch, Jan 12, 2017.

1. When was the last time you did something just because you feared it and what was it? Does anyone else think you can develop nerves of steel just by facing fears and getting to understand fear itself?

2. I moved to a city by myself. Was not familiar with the city and knew nobody. It was a little scary at first, but it ended up being just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. do you feel like you can handle fear itself better for it? ive done nothing in my life but its now starting to bother me. found fear to be the biggest limiting factor in my decision making

4. Like barebacking a hooker in Africa? I'm afraid of that but would never try it. Sometimes you fear things because you know the outcome.

I personally think the saying "Face your Fears" is used way too much. It's either a calculated risk or you have a phobia that isn't realistic in the first place.

Nope, don't have any fears because I am not afraid to die and the fear I do have is realistic and can't be fixed, the fear of being gone and not there for the people I love.

5. What is it that you fear?

6. I strongly agree with op about confronting your fears and thus conquering them, whether it sounds cliché or not it definitely works wonders. I try and do this whenever realistically possible

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. I mostly just "fear" spiders, heights, social settings, and plane rides. And I aint tryin to fuck with them intentionally if I can avoid it.

Ha.

8. I had a terrible stutter growing up. So every time I talk in front of a group of people (everyday) I'm challenging myself to speak and be heard, even if I stutter.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Travelling. I used to fear going into the "big world" etc and all that shit. As soon as i can i faced my fears, and went to various places, and still am!

Most of this is due to business trips and all, but still. Dont limit yourself to what you know.

10. a always fear being powerless and more so being seen as powerless by people i care about. not really sure how to confront that

11. Things I don't want to do but I make a decision to do it. Everything is in your head. Confidence is just a mind state that carries over into the physical aspect of what you do and how you do it.

Whether it be picking up/ talking to random girls, or getting your ass on stage to sing karaoke. In the end it makes you feel good and you realize that it "wasn't so bad" after all.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. You don't really feel much fear after the reaper tries an pays you a visit. only thing I fear is the death of others around me that I cannot prevent.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. the best way through that is to see yourself- literally step out and look back at yourself from outside yourself and see whats going on. we are so caught up in the experience we do not take the time to visually see. from the perspective you can decide if what you see is OK.. you will find power in doing once you decide... good luck and clear views my friend

edit- you are taking/being the view of another in a way and the power you give that viewpoint as per your fear of it can change if you are that other person looking back...

14. I've faced pretty much all the conventional fears at this point. I pick up spiders, have a pet snake, worked on roofs and ladders many stories high, gone in burning buildings, trained on tall rock faces and crawled through and worked in dark, tiny spaces for high angle and confined space/cave rescue, ridden roller coasters, flown, gotten many tattoos, injections and IVs, and have puked way too many times (some of them publicly) to have any fear of it. I couldn't stand my line of work with a fear of blood or germs. I don't believe in ghosts.

While I'd like to say I don't fear death, dying young is still an uneasy thought, especially in a painful manner and leaving behind kids and a wife. Severe disability is another fear, being unable to get around, communicate effectively, eat, wipe my ass, or basically do anything but lay in bed and watch television without even being able to change the fucking channel, being a drain on family, regarding time and money, but also emotionally, and them possibly subconsciously losing sight of who I used to be and starting to resent me. So regarding that, writing (and more recently, editing) my will. I suggest all of you do the same, especially a living will. Make your wishes known while you can.

I do think facing your fears is important in overcoming them. Some degree of fear about certain things is instinctual, while other fears are pretty irrational, and everywhere in between. There is nothing wrong with having fear, but letting it negatively affect your life is. If you have a certain fear, evaluate it and consider whether it is a rational, helpful fear (such as of driving 140 mph on the interstate), or one that could or is hurting you. If it's the latter, try to find a way of facing it, and commit to it. Do it small steps if you must. But conquering fears is good for us in the long run IMO.

15. i fear january 20, trolololol

16. Don't have many but traveling alone, I'm going to travel by myself this year and just do it for a out of my comfort zone experience

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. get in the love bubble - surround yourself consciously with a love bubble whenever you travel. literally visualize it to make it so

• Like Like x 1
  18. i used to be very anti-social growing up. I was never good at making talk and meeting people or doing things in groups of people. A few years back i was in depression and decided to make new friends which ment talking to new people and facing my anxiety and fear of rejection to make new friends. It took about 2 years for me to come out of my anti-social box. Ill tell you what, in the beginning i was very awkward and weird about making small talk. But after practice and practice. I can make friends with a KKK member wearing a Mexican sombrero talkin about "That Mexican is alright" LOL!

• Like Like x 2
  19. I have an Uncle I really look up to because he can talk to and start a conversation with anybody! I've been an introvert personality and really connected with wonder and awe to his actions of free form communica @ anytime... now i am way more comfortable in my skin and can spark a conv with the most stick in the ass people and loosen that stick up some just from engaging...