Just a suggestion....getting started, work it out first

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hatchit_13, Jun 22, 2009.

1. #1 hatchit_13, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
    Just thought I'd make a post about getting started and thinking it out before you plant. This is just some self learned crap that maybe could help someone else out.

Think clearly about your cab grow and how you are going to light, vent, cool and access your grow.

If you use CFL, will you have enough lights, fixtures and outlets to supply enough light to your grow, top, bottom and sides? Will it be more efficient to use HPS/MH instead? If you have more than a few plants it may be wiser to use HID instead of CFL. If you do choose to use HPS/MH make sure you have a way to adequetaly cool your cab. Temps can easily exceed 120 degrees farenheit within an hour. This is where a cool tube can be indispensble in aiding your temperature control. I've seen a cab that while temps were under control using close to 10 CFL's they skyrocketed out of control rapidly using HID. The cab was vented but not cooled and just couldn't dissipate the added heat fast enough. Do you want them big-ass thick buds then maybe start with the HID's and work out your problems BEFORE you plant. While CFL's (in my limited opinion) veg beautifully they just don't flower like HPS.

Odor control and cab ventilation can be another issue that may sneak up on you. Things may seem to be going swimmingly and then one day there it is, that incredible smell. Could be the maturity or maybe the heat, but how are you going to control it? Is your cab set-up to vent heat and odor? There are many retail solutions and diy carbon filters/scrubbers but are you prepared for it? Make sure you have this issue worked out as well before you seed. If you are using HID without a cool tube will you be able to keep it cool and vented? They are 2 separate things. A fan probably isn't going to be adequate and if you use a blower can you now keep your cab vented properly with the added positive air flow. That's why a cool tube can be essential. It cools your light/cab without the added air pressure which in turn still allows your cab to have neagtive air pressure and vent through your carbon filters properly. Is the air in the surrounding area adequately cooled to allow you to in turn use that cooler air to cool your light?

OK so now your cab is lit, vented and cooled properly, your grow is going well. Maybe you have decided to SCROG. Do you have a way to access all your plants easily? How are you going to water, trim and fertilize your plants? Can you acces your grow from more than one side or does your cab limit your ability to do this? Can you water your plants and control any runoff without removing your plants from the cab? Will you be able to flush nutes at the end of the grow or not?

While these are only some of the issues that may confront you and your grow, I just thought I'd toss it out there so maybe you know what you are in for and the amount of planning that should go into something like this. Do not take any of this too lightly as you may be disappointed/overwhelmed quickly without the added consideration of these and other issues that may arise during your grow. While this is by far not meant to be a grow guide, it is in fact some very important issues that should be addressed and solved before you actually put plants in place IMHO. Hope this helps someone in their planning of their first cab or small room grow. :smoking: