Jun 11 - Marijuana legalization on 2010 ballot

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by whitewarrior, Jun 11, 2009.

1. IT'S ALL IN TiME !!!

(06-10) 20:40 PDT -- With polls showing the legalization of marijuana gaining public support, and a state budget crisis fueling an ever-more-desperate search for revenue, backers of the first major statewide initiative to legalize marijuana for personal use - and allow counties to tax and regulate the drug - say they're preparing to get the matter on the November 2010 ballot.

"We think the tides have turned," said Richard Lee, the executive director of Oaksterdam University, a major medical marijuana dispensary and advocacy group in Oakland, and a founder of TaxCannabis2010.org, sponsor of the initiative.

He said polls showing voters' support for legalization and taxation of the drug, combined with the financial strains of a recession, mean that "this will be a landmark opportunity that will generate interest and funds nationwide." If successful, Lee said, the initiative will be viewed as a watershed - "a first step in changing federal law."

The initiative that Lee's group is preparing to circulate calls for legalization of small amounts of marijuana for personal possession by adults 21 and older, and allows cities and counties the option of regulating sales and cultivation. The legal amount would be 1 ounce for personal possession, with cultivation allowed in a space no larger than 5 feet by 5 feet.

The move comes as other legislative efforts to legalize marijuana are beginning to gain traction, including a special July election in Oakland to create a category for cannabis taxes, and hearings this fall on a bill by state Assemblyman Tom Ammiano to decriminalize the substance.

With California counties and cities facing huge cuts in critical programs because of the state's $24.3 billion budget deficit - supporters of efforts to legalize and tax marijuana have seized on a new and potentially potent financial argument to take a new look at the issue.

illions for california

Lee's group argues that legalization could generate billions of dollars in annual sales tax revenues for California, "so we can finally start funding what matters most: jobs, health care, education," while putting dwindling law enforcement dollars to work on high-priority violent crime and anti-gang offensives.

TaxCannabis2010.org, which also will have a political action committee arm to raise money, plans to submit the initiative to Attorney General Jerry Brown next month for the summary and title oversight required by law. Lee said the group plans to begin gathering signatures in August and fully expects to get the required 650,000 signatures by January to qualify for the November 2010 ballot.

Already, he said, the group has ambitious plans to hire paid signature gatherers, and to use Internet organizing and fundraising - lessons he said learned from the Obama presidential campaign - as well as its PAC to seize on what appears to be a recent shift in public opinion on legalization.

Even if the initiative is successful in California, marijuana would still be illegal under federal law, although backers hope a change here would lead to a change in federal law.

The move to go before voters underscores how the state's budget crisis could help drive what political observers say is an increasingly sophisticated, Internet-savvy and business-oriented approach to the effort to legalize pot.

"It's not the complete answer to the state budget crisis - but it's a piece of the puzzle that could be put into place relatively easily," said Bruce Mirken of the Marijuana Policy Project, which studies legalization issues. "That said, there's an ongoing discussion about how to get that done as quickly as possible - and whether a ballot initiative is the way to go."

akland ballot measure

Other marijuana-related legislation is making its way before state voters. Oakland voters will in weeks begin voting on a July special election mail-in ballot that includes Measure F, which would make their city the first in the nation to establish a new tax rate for "cannabis businesses." If the measure is approved, Oakland medical marijuana businesses, which generate an estimated $20 million annually in sales - and are now charged at the general tax rate of $1.20 per $1,000 gross receipts - would see that rate raised to $18 per $1,000, a 15-fold increase.

The measure was supported enthusiastically by Lee and overseers of other city medical marijuana dispensaries as one that could contribute more than $400,000 a year to city coffers while also giving the medical marijuana businesses an increasingly mainstream profile in a major city.

Their efforts have won the support of Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan, who sponsored Oakland's Measure D, which mandates that arrests for personal possession of marijuana be given the lowest priority in law enforcement matters.

While an increasing number of public officials, including Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, have urged study of legalization, there remains deep opposition among groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving, which argues it would multiply problems related to substance use and come with heavy health concerns.

pposition and progress

Even proponents of decriminalization warn that taking an initiative before state voters probably will face huge and expensive opposition.

Quintin Mecke, communications director for state Sen. Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, said the legislator's bill, AB390, calling for decriminalization of marijuana and taxation and regulation of the drug, is expected to be up for hearings later this year. "The general consensus is that we're making a lot of progress," he said.

But a ballot initiative has the potential to be more polarizing, because it will "limit the ability to craft (a measure) through legislative process" and doesn't allow for as much flexibility, he said.

E-mail Carla Marinucci at cmarinucci@sfchronicle.com

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...MNER184D84.DTL
    *I really hope this passes...

2. start donating people. this ballot will change everything because if this doesn't happen now, we will be set back for quite a few years. Yes we CANnabis!

3. #3 Squim, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
    yessss finally this better go through or ima hurt someone

That's bullshit, there's no limit to how much beer or cigarettes I can buy, why should I only be able to have an ounce of herb?

4. 1 ounce?

I would just buy an oz from one dispensary and then move onto another one and buy another oz there.

5. dude, baby steps. an ounce is plenty for personal use. how many 18 packs do you buy at a time?

6. He's right. I mean if you go buy a carton of cigarettes then you really have no need to buy anymore. A carton is plenty. Just as an oz is plenty. You can always go get more. The only reason someone would need to buy more than an oz is pretty much if they were planning on selling it. By allowing citizens to purchase no more than an oz for personal use they can make sure that someone doesn't buy 2 lbs and take it elsewhere (another state for ex.).

7. all I can say is... OMG

my friend sent me this on FB

Summer just got x2 better!

next one will be even better :D:D:aewsgxgjkovhgjsdufihkdsfjoeiog

:hello::hello::hello::smoking::hello::hello::hello:

8. this will be great. that and I turn 21 in dec. 2010, haha just in time!

heck, im even happy about oakland's Measure F, since i go to school near their. :] 650,000 signatures in 4 months? no problemo.

I also like the fact that people are actually calling it cannabis on the documents and not marijuana (which has a stigma).
    *bookmarks taxcannabis2010*

9. better than going to jail for that ounce. we gotta take this 1 step at a time, for any type of progress, is indeed, progress.

10. You get fined in Amsterdam for having over 5 grams.

11. get ready for the surge of anti marijuna ad's on tv during voting time. we need donations for norml to sponsor some pro pot ads.

12. this is great news.

13. I pray that this passes. Too much flak taken for this already.

14. mmmm i don't know what to think. i'm going to get some sleep, i'll research it when i get up

15. I don't know where you have heard that but its obviously not true.
    Maybe you meant 5 oz's. Ive been caught by police smoking a joint in nondesignated areas, they just made me put it out and leave(as it was late) not even wanting to know or search how much weed i had.

As for the ballot, well fuckin awesome. lets hope!

16. If it goes on the ballot, there's no way it won't pass. Then, other states will follow suit after they see the benefits. This is truly exciting!

17. No, you can only buy 5 grams in one sitting.

18. This is to remove the federal ban on marijuana? or just for Cali??:confused:

19. and then you can walk down the street to the next coffee shop and buy another 5 grams.

20. Just for Cali