Judgment

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Toad99, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you were easily able to detach yourself from other people's judgement and feel content with what you feel about your own self?

Just some thoughts,
    Peace

Sent from my TA-1025 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. it really is a day to day thing for me, depending on how well my prescription meds are working, and my combined just mental health that day. Some days I'm a bad bitch and nothing bothers me. Other days I wanna avoid everyone cause I'm too emotional to deal.

But I believe in owning your shit so here we are.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Think about the old days when you were in class thinking about what clothes you were wearing and what you thought others would think.
    What did you think about them?
    Fact is nobody gives a shit about you just like you dont care about them.

Of course some genuinely do want the best for lifekind, and have little judgeness and a sense of free mind. Gratzi to those whom do!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. what do you think of yourself? not, what do other people think of me? if you would like to improve something about yourself, get on it, life is short. Be a better handball player(do they still play handball?), drop a few pounds, get a better job, see your loved ones more often, whatever it is, do it today.

wondering what someone else thinks of you is normal, but don't obsess, be excellent to each other, and the rest will follow. be a schmuck, and karma's coming fur ur ass, ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Yes! The more you think about changing, the less you do! You want to become healthier? Eat right, want to be better at basketball, go play!

Some things even when you dont feel like doing, you do! It gets easier each week!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thanks all for your reply. Actually I think I did not express myself well enough in the question. It was more of "are you able to judge your own self without other people's eyes"

• Like Like x 1
  7. I judge myself every day.

8. Do you think you are able to make an appropriate judgement of your own self, without having the interference of others? Can you not judge yourself to harshly, but not too good? Having a certain balance and a certainty of who you are? That's probably the question in more details

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. #9 GorillaGherkin, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    I took a long hard look at myself 2 years ago. I’ve lived a destructive life drugs n alcohol abuse for 15 years, 12 years in a cell, multiple divorces.
    It’s hard to look yourself in the eyes and see the things you’ve done wrong and how they’ve not only effected you but others. Change isn’t easy especially if ur older but, it is possible. I try everyday to change my way of thinking and responding to others without causing harm or hurt feelings.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yes, not in a balanced way though. There's a reason the saying goes "every one is their own worst critic".

Harsh judgement on yourself doesn't have to be a bad thing. I'd rather be judging myself harshly than patting myself on the back over nothing daily.

Thankfully I don't suffer from any mental health issues so this helps. If I lived in a world of anxiety/depression I don't think I'd be singing the same tune.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I have a horribly low self-esteem, I speak about it from time to time.

I've learned my "problems" aren't special really. I just think they are to me. And that's who they really matter to only. No one else! You and I are just specs on a ball of dust.

All judgments are is fun to complian about but, at the end of the day you shouldn't care. In the same way I don't care about you. You don't care about me.

I don't want others to care about me really unless they choose to. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. I judge myself constantly, I am only human but I get irritated when I do something not well. I talk a lot and over share but if I care enough to say something people could at least take it into consideration, but people blow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. As I see it, the general answer to your question is no. I've found it near-impossible to be a judge on someone else, and rarely am I an accurate judge of myself. There are always some biases at play - the standard you judge by is itself a bias.

Some people don't seek judgment - of themselves, of others - and I've found those people to be enviably blissful, but also ignorant, and seldom accomplished. Seldom inspirational characters. Seldom someone to depend on.

I think it's healthiest to be a harsh judge of yourself, to understand the bias of the standard you judge yourself by, and to celebrate yourself when you live up to that standard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Thanks for all your replies. It is really really interesting to see the different answers from different people. I really like that piece of experience you guys shared.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. When you compare yourself against others, you're comparing your average with other peoples highlights. When you have a core set of values and live by them, you'll stop worrying about what other people think.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. It's not easy to have others decide who you are without it affecting you. It's easier to ignore those we don't know, but the closer you are to someone the more their opinion gets in.

It is possible not to be affected by the opinions of others, but at what cost? True detachment won't be affected, but then neither will you be. I know what that is like. It can feel very peaceful, but also very alone. While there is a difference between alone and lonely, we really do need meaningful human interaction.

To reach the place of balanced objectivity, one must be able to let go of forming opinions about others and to some extent the self. Not easy. To allow others to be who they are while being who you are is the result. The truer you are being the real and authentic self the easier that is. Again, not easy.

So, my advice is to practice not judging others or yourself. Notice when you do, and you will, so don't beat yourself up over it. Just practice not doing so. That doesn't mean condoning the acts of a perpetrator, only allowing them to be without deciding something about them. A noble journey indeed.