Judge my living potting soil mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Prankster, Jan 2, 2023.

1. #1 Prankster, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    I'm interested in an organic method of growing weed with just watering. I have done some research for the supersoil method but you get mostly the same info about subcools recipe without extra info like the actual nutrient levels. And it uses way to much bloody meals. Don't like that. And im a littlebit skeptical about using the supersoil in the bottom third of the pot since in nature most plants get fed from above, the topsoil.

Then there is the method of a living soil. I don't know how this applies to pots because the nutrients has to come from somewhere. In nature this is supplied by travelling organismes from somewhere else. This is not the case for a pot which is a world on its own. But most nutrients are slow releasing and with the help of the right biology it could be possible to grow a plant without feeding it.

So the mix is quite basic but untested so far. Its always a quest to get all the ingredients together.

40% v/v Spagnum peat
    22% v/v Pumice
    11% v/v Steamed rice hulls
    11% v/v Compost
    11% v/v Wormcastings
    5% v/v charged biochar
    13,95 gram/kilogram of above mix. Nutrient + mineral mix
    1 gram/liter mix. Wollastonite

13,95 grams nutrient + mineral mix consist of

0,858 gram Gypsum
    6,23 gram Kelp meal
    6,27 gram Neemseed meal
    0,102 gram Shrimp meal
    0,045 gram Crab meal
    0,045 gram Fishmeal
    0,4 gram potash

So 13.95 grams of nutrient+mineral mix contains about 450 mg nitrogen : 80 mg of phosphorus : 450 mg of potassium.

The biochar is charged by mixing it with normal flower, rock dust and then soaking it in compost tea.

The complete mix is wetted to about 10% by weight.

Before use, this soil is brought to field capacity with added micro-organisms from advanced nutrients voodoo juice, piranha and tarantula in a diluted molasses or malt solution.

A Saponin wetting agent is used for extra wetting of the soil by the water/sugar solution.

Since this is a living soil, how does it react to repotting?
    Do i have to dilute the soil with coco up until late veg or early flower? Since its pretty heavy in nutrients.
    Do you think I still have to feed and is it sufficient to topdress with wormcasting for feeding?
    Can i use advanced nutrient products to get the biology or should i add a compost starter? Which is different since it breaks down waste instead of living in symbiosis with the plant. Which does not exist yet.
    Do I have to ripen or cook the mix for a couple of weeks or months after the addition of

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. After the addition of the micro biology.

PS: Editting your text is nearly impossible on this website. What the hell!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Organics Lounge
    The lounge is very active and covers most of this.

Organic feeding is more a 3 way handoff then anything.
    [​IMG]

If I remember correctly the plant extrudes a question and a microbe answers it by fetching the needed material. (I was really stoned when this part was on) :)

[​IMG]
    Just having a blend of Proper ingredients does not make a living soil.
    Rescue Rangers: How Bacteria Can Support Plants
    Aimed at the younger set it still outlines the basic path your nutrients take from the raw form to something the plant can use.

I don't remember what Blade (member) recommended taking an intact 2x2x6 inch deep plug from your yard and inserting one in each 15 gallon or bigger pot to inoculate your Mix to jumpstart things with an existing colony of the full range of ground life. I did it on both my big SIP pots as I recall since they had no ground soil contact and I planned on running them for years on the same soil with minimal interference.
    Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners
    It really hasn't changed much in the years.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Works great on Computer. :)

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  5. Welcome to GC. It looks like a decent medium. You could have just used the basic no-till recipe Coots posted here on GC. I'll post a few helpful links below. The soil recipe is in the first page of the No-till Gardening revisited thread.

Growing Organic Marijuana

No-Till Gardening: Revisited

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you are looking to get the microbiology kickstarted, you can take a sock full of rice and burry it next to a healthy tree. The native microbes to your area will go to eat the rice starches. Then dig it back up and mix with your soil or use to make compost tea or labs. I used some bio live in my mix this year. Liking it so far.

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 TimJ, Jan 7, 2023
    If you have a good finished compost and good quality worm castings you shouldn't need to add any other microbes in a bottle or IMO. But, if your interested in more information about collecting IMO as mjmama25 suggested. The following link is a great one to read over. I've done the whole KNF route and good organic medium grows excellent plants with much less effort.

https://www.cgnfindia.com/imos.html

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I just found out about a. Nice mineral that would supppply appropiate amounts of silicium and calcium. I'm gonna further amend this mixture. With Wollastonite (or CaSiO3) at a rate of 1 gram / liter mix.

9. Crab, shrimp and gypsum and quite likely your water source are providing Ca. Rice hulls have Silica.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yeah probably. But I have just a small amount of crab and shrimp meal. Its there to balance the npk for the mix. My tap water contains 40 ppm of calcium. And the rice hulls are there to replace perlite and not as a Si source.

Just to be on the safe side. Or do you think i'm gonna overdose my plants?

11. I can’t really comment on your overall mix or amounts of specific amendments used. If you converted it into tablespoons per gallon it would help. Here’s a link that you may like since it sounds like you have a water report.
    https://extension.psu.edu/interpreting-irrigation-water-tests

• Like Like x 1
  12. There has been ongoing discussion on wollastonite for the past 10 years here on GC. Use the search feature and you'll find plenty of threads talking about it.

What's your growing medium pH? Do you need extra calcium? The crab meal alone will offset the low pH of your peat moss if that's what you used for your growing medium.

The rice hulls slowly break down in our soil adding silica at a rate that is sufficient for our plants needs.

• Like Like x 2
  13. #13 Prankster, Jan 7, 2023
    Yeah soil pH. Don't know yet. But water I correct it to 6,3 for veg and 6,6 for flower. Maybe I should go a little lower if my soil is a little alkaline.

I also should be carefull with the Ca concentration since it impedes P and Mg. But a lot of Ca is always recommended. It should be present in about the same proportion as nitrogen or potassium.

isn't it beneficial to have lots of available Si in the veg phase. So that it can help build strong stems and roots? So that a slightly faster releaser of Si would be more useful?

I should send a sample too a lab to test :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fish bone meal or bone meal are a great source of Ca. I run real low ppm carbonate water, and I throw tons of Ca in many forms at my plants.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  15. Do you deplete the plants of nutrients before harvest in this method? How is this done?

16. Plain water the last few weeks and senescence usually occurs.
    8DF66E45-C302-454C-A4C2-0129B8FA76E0.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. I only use plain water the whole grow. I depend on top dressing more between grows to make up for what is consumed. Im sure the amounts ebb and flow throughout cycles.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1