JUDGE ME (and my setup).. lookin for advice on my first real grow..

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by SlightlyStonedSD, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hello GC! I'm preparing my first legit grow which I plan on scrogging in soil. If anyone has a minute to donate some knowledge I promise it wont be in vain!

Planning on starting with Bubba Kush.

I currently have most of my supplies being shipped to a friends house as we speak (type)

The List:
    • 4'x2'x5' Grow Tent
    • 600W dimmable cool tube HID (MH&HPS)
    • exhaust fan, ducting, etc..
    I already have:
    • Fox Farm Trio (Grow big, Big bloom, Tiger bloom)
    • Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil + Perlite
    • Thermometer
    • pH meter
    • clip on fans for inside the tent
    Questions:
    • What other supplements are worth buying ahead of time?
    • What else would be worth adding to my soil mix (A little coco perhaps?)
    • What size pot should I transplant up to? 3Gal? 5Gal? Bigger? Smart pots?
    • Anything else you guys think would be helpful? (What to germinate in?)

On another note.. to avoid constantly buying seeds I would like to have a mother plant to take clones from, Space is limited for me and I only have one tent... BUT, I have a shitload of CFLs and lamps from my first attempted grow, would it be possible to keep my mother going in a little 3 foot tall storage bin with CFLs? how could I control her size? training?

If you actually read this far I THANK YOU. Even if you don't reply.  :smoke:  :smoking:

ALL RESPONSES WELCOME  :yay:

2. I would forget the tent, what is it with needing to grow in some closed area? Plants like to breath, mimic the outdoors a little.
    8 SQ FT is mighty small.

Pot size depends on how big you want plants and how many. I do a sea of green and do fine with 2 gallon pots.

you mention Scogging, I do it with no screen so its LST. a screen is just more junk in the way as you add or harvest in your set up. I just use wire and weights to bend the plants over and let the side branches go wild.(works outdoors kick ass too)

you have a big ol shopping list of brand named stuff but all you need is, seeds or starts ,good soil mixture, lots of light, air and water.

I germinate in cardboard egg cartons wrapped in plastic and placed in a warm spot. Seed starting mix soil is a good idea, its light and fluffy but hold a good amount of water. then I go to 16OZ solo cups to sex, then to 2 gallon.

Other soil amendments? Magnesium by way of horticultural epson salts with trace minerals. blood meal and bone meal are nice to add to soils. well composted chicken shit is good.

I dont know about your skill level but many noobs want to top,prune,over feed , flush and generally fuck with the plants constantly then be calling growers and posting about thier fucked up plants.

My advice is to not fuck with the plants every minute and they will burst on you and you will end up with huge ass smelly trees inside your house.

A mother plant can be kept small by taking clones regularly but if you want to grow you need to find more space.

I wish you the best of luck and be safe.

Whats up Snoop? you seem the old school type and I respect that..

I got the tent to better control climate and odor, and you're right, it's a small area but I don't have a lot of area to work with... living in SoCal I pay more per Sq. Ft then I would ever want to haha..  Ideally I would like a big backyard with a greenhouse or a spare bedroom or 2 but we work with what we got right?

I agree with the brand name thing.  I prefer to spend less money whenever possible and I try not to buy just because something has a pretty label.  I still consider myself a noob but through tons of research I have engrained in myself that less is more and I dont fuck with my plants or keep watering and feeding for no reason... mother nature doesn't have fox farm nutrients so I will use them minimally.

I really appreciate you stoppin by and responding.  Most people preach spending more and more money and its reassuring when you hear something different.

If you get a chance could you eleborate on how to sex the plant early?  I'm under the impression I will cut off a clone as soon as I can and force flower that clone to show sex? is this close or am I way off and there's another way? 

much appreciated

4. #4 snoopdog6502, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013

I am way old school and have grown for over 30 years,

you plan is tried and true, it eats up time and space in a smaller area as you plan to use.
    Im growing an autoflowering strain I bred the seed myself that shows sex in 6 to 8 weeks under 24 hours of light. its tricky to clone.
    So i grow from seed and pollinate the first male and first female of a crop of seedlings in hopes of getting a super early flowing breed.  I nailed it good this spring and harvested seed in late july. the resulting seedlings have been showing sex by 4-6 inches tall.

Im in Washington state and have a medical legal grow, I dont smoke weed anymore just grow it for medicine. In the mean time im working on genetics and hydro methods to boost quality and yields. My gardens are more of a science lab to me.