Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Joint Theory

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by XAM2, Jun 10, 2009.

1. What makes joints burn quickly or burn slowly? Here are two factors:

1. How tightly the joint is rolled. If it rolled tightly, there is little air between the herb and the paper, so it burns slowly (and vice versa).

2. Similarly, is the weed is ground very fine, will it burn slowly? Because there is little space between the paper and the weed, or, will it burn quickly because the weed has more surface area?

Discuss.

2. the finer the grind, the slower the burn, since it is comapcted more. also it goes the tighter the joint the slower the burn, also the dryness of the weed comes into play as well, the wetter the less speed of burn.

3. Nah man. If you want to see a perfect joint, look at a cigarette. Perfect cherry, tons of drags, etc

The first statement is correct but if you have to bust a lung on joint thats too tight then you end up not getting good hits.

As for the second, I think its partially true but you want it finer because it will be easier to roll and a more even burn. Think about it, if you put a nug in a jay it probably will start running.

If it pulls well and is pretty tight, I consider it a great joint. :smoking:

4. I would go with a fine grind will give you a more even burn. Your number 1 sounds right. :)

5. I dont like the fine grind, all too often I have to "bust a lung" to get a hit, and the whole joint becomes a filter and I dont get high till the end. I find that once the calaxes are off the stem that is just right. I find grinders really ripp off the trichomes and make the weed too fine. Breaking by hand rolls the best joints with a loss of potency to ur fingers, depending on how carefull you were. Siccors are the best way to break the bud down, I like to just snip at the calax right at its base, near the stem and let it drop to the table or magazine. I do that from the bottom of the stem and work my way up till I just have a stem in my hand. Then I do the same till no more stems or leave, just the bud. When the buds (calaxes) are whole they roll the best joint and if ur carefull enough you can leave a majority of the trichomes on each one.

Its all in how you break down the weed. Look at a cigarett, the tobacco is in long strips and it kinda weaves together as its rolled to form one piece of burning material.

Also if you have to pack in the ends, do so gentally. You want your joint to have air flow and yet be solid.

If your learning, I suggest rolling joints in several differant fashions so you a good taste of which yuou prefere. If some one is REALLY picky on how its rolled let them roll it, unless there the type that what ever joint you roll is never tight enough and burns too fast blah blah blah, but when they roll a joint you cant even get a hit, except when you breath in whats coming off the cherry. then you should roll the joint. The point, is to get high, not be the BEST joint roller, that some ego bullshit that will make people think your an ass, or be envious and want ur shit. then they break in and steal ur bongs, ur xbox ur tv, not because they need the money, but because they are jealus that ur so cool. So becareful what you say, becarefull what you buy, people never care, if your just a normal guy.

6. Not sure about this, or who's right.

The surface area of an object affects the rate of a reaction. More surface area = more successfull particle collisions = faster reaction.

7. yes, but tightly packed finely ground bud, actually has less airspaces to facilitate the burn, and since it comapcts much more than loosly ground, it actually has less surface area to work with.

8. i would have thought that the finer the weed the quicker it would burn just in comparison to blackpowder, the finer the grain the quicker it burns ?

9. tighter burns slower but you get weaker hits. The trick is not too loose but not too tight. The finer the grind the faster it burns. You don't want it to be too fine but also you don't want nugs in it. I know I basically just contradicted myself in all of my answers but it is all about finding a balance, it takes practice.

10. Exactly sgt, roll a few in diff ways and see which one hits the best. I dont like to be out and about with a really slow burning joint anyway, I wana get high, then its about evedence, if I have half a joint of some homegrown, that aint goin out the window ya know, and I might forget about it if I get pulled over, so generally I like to roll shorter joints for the road, sorry think im rambling. Peace out.

11. Try putting honey/syrup all around the joint to make it burn really slow.

When it's lit get some saliva on your fingers and just put a ring around the joint, on the paper under the cherry but watch out, dont get burnt.