Joint size?!?!

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Kronik352, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Hey all,

Currently have this on the way to the house - H083 Double Bubbler w/ Removable 6-Arm Diffuser – Hoss Glass

I have been looking at/into accessories for bongs such as carbon filters/ashcathers/etc....so I went to the specs of the bong to see what size joint attachment I would need if I ever purchased anything for it in the future but it says its a 19mm joint? It seems to me that the most common joint sizes are 14.5 or 18.8, is that correct?

DOES THIS MEAN IT WILL BE HARD FOR ME TO FIND ATTACHMENTS FOR THIS PIECE??

Thanks everyone in advance....im used to smoking MJ rolled in paper, off a can, out of an apple, etc and if I went REALLY high tech I/we would use a steamroller or very basic lil pipe so Bongs/Vapes etc are on the upper echelon of my sophistication with smoking devices....I REALLY don't understand the accessories that go with them!! lol

2. In terms of ground glass joints, 18.8mm = 18mm = 19mm. It's actually 18.8mm, but the three terms are typically used interchangeably.

Congrats on a nice looking piece, btw! :bongin:

3. OHH Ok, awesome!!! So then I SHOULD be able to buy anything rated as 18mm and it'll work? I mean it seems pretty obvious as to the answer of that question, but I am just double checking. Thanks again and heres to ya:passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
  4. That's always been the case in my experience. The way ground glass is sloped, it allows for small variances between pieces' exact size. Ground glass joints (specifically, a tapered joint) is very common in science labs (hence why it's sometimes called scientific glass), so that info applies here too.

The Glassware Gallery mentions 14/20, 19/22, and 24/40 joints (first number = diameter at largest point, second number = length; both in mm). A lab glass company (PDF datasheet) says their 19/38 (longer than a "standard" 18.8 joint, but would still fit interchangeably) measures 18.8mm at the top of the ground zone (aka the frosted part).

So tl;dr -- yes, you can get 18/18.8mm accessories for your new pipe:smoke:

(Oh...you gotta let me know how that bowl is when you get it. I dig its handle & generally like cone shaped bowls, assuming they're not too giant. :bongin:)

5. Thanks a ton my man, I really appreciate it!

Most definitely will!! Should be here in the next 2 days or so....ill get back with ya and let ya know.

I agree, i thought/figured for alot of people that the handle would be a minute detail that wouldn't concern them either way but I LOVED the idea...hope its as good as it looks. I too seem to like to cone better than the bigger "Bulb" or "Ball" looking one as it seems to smoke/burn better to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. No worries, man! Glad I could help ya out...and btw, welcome to Grasscity :wave: :gc_rocks:

Looking forward to it, thx! :bongin:

7. Just wanted to post some info to back up what my man PCjabber said in case anyone else had the same question and for future searchers of the forums like myself.

"Another question you may have; what is the difference between 14.5 mm and 14 mm or 18.8mm and 18mm and 19mm?

The answer is: nothing.

14.5mm is the technical term, as that is the actual measurement of the joint size. However, many people simply call the joint size 14mm for convenience.

18.8mm is the technical term, as that is the actual measurement of the joint size. However, many people will either round up, or round down, and call the joint size either 18mm, or 19mm, depending on what part of the world you are from!"

• Like Like x 1