Joining the military

Discussion in 'General' started by Rollin Cr00k3d, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I was in the Marines, been to Afghanistan and all that jazz. I was infantry. Now do I regret joining? No

Honestly I wouldnt be the same person if I hadnt joined. As much as I hated it, the military taught me responsibility (being in charge of a multi million dollar vehicle), respect, importance of education, and alot of other things that have made me a better person.

If you were to join today, I couldn not promise that they would allow you to join, let alone get the MOS (job) that you want. Military is downsizing, hard. especially the Marine corps. Not only that but the war in Afghanistan is almost over, we are already pulling units out.

Even if you were to experience war as infantry it is not awesome. honestly firefights are the most exciting experiences ive ever done. but its also the scariest most fucked up situations I have been in. 9/10 times its the insurgents ambushing you. Afghan nationalists arent that smart compared to modern standards. But they are capable of complex ambushes in kill zones with IEDs on top of that. so when you watch your friend blown up, you get blown up by a secondary trying to get to your friend while your platoon is under fire. Its fucked up man.

I made friends with this 5-6 year old afghan boy that I would see every time I went on a patrol. I named him mike. I taught him to fist pump and he kept all the shady ass afghan thief kids away from me and my patrol. well his dad drove him through our vcp one day and not 5 minutes later they hit an IED ment for us. we responded and all I found of mike was his head with his spine intact. war sucks.

Dont join the military so you can legally kill. I knew motha fuckas likes that. most fucked up individuals I have ever known.

2. I'm going to basic for the army smack dab in the middle of summer in Oklahoma, I'm just getting as much smoke in as I can before I have to quit.

3. military brainwashes ppl.. the weak ones at least

4. Ask yourself this.....are you willing to fight for a country so corrupt? Realize that fighting wars overseas is NOT fighting for the people. You fight for the government. Dont fuel the war machine man. be real and fuel love. Sounds soft but thats true shit. Dont spread wars throughout this world....Do you really think ur overall destiny is to join the military? If you honestly want to, go ahead....just know that the military doesnt fight for the people anymore like they think they do.

5. I told you you'd get a bunch of shit for posting this haha

6. My Best friend joined the and left for the Army the week after he graduated. He literally said to me that "I have all this pent up aggression and shooting people would be the perfect stress reliever" After basic training and AIT he was shipped off to Iraq. 4 months into his deployment he accidently shot a child. Now he suffers from PTSD and can't sleep for more then 4 hours at a time.

I personally was in the Navy for 3 years before letting myself be discharged. I would never recommend someone join the military. Ever. It turns normal people just looking for job security into fear mongering jackass's who thrive off of confrontation. During my time in the Navy and being on multiple bases across America, I never met a single soul who wasn't a total douchebag.

7. People that join the military so they can go blast hajis or whatever are, generally speaking, incompetent, big-talking shitbags that have played too much Call of Duty and don't understand (and, subsequently, can't cope with) the reality of what they're getting into.

8. It's pretty simple really, you're being shot at because you are invading their homes in the name of nationalism.

Yes, we are over there in "self defense" because the taliban supposedly played a part in 9/11, but when is enough enough? We've been over there killing people for over TEN YEARS! Alright, I think America is probably safe now... don't you think???????

According to the government the answer is no, we're not safe until EVERY SINGLE TERRORIST IS DEAD! We have to keep killing people and blowing people up UNTIL WE GET ALL THE TERRORISTS!

See how much sense that makes?

9. Read all of my posts in this thread.

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ41o0KasFk&feature=related]My Basic Training Experience! (FT. Jackson) - YouTube[/ame]

basic training advice with a cutie :)

11. Done, glad to see you had the mental strength to break out of the army mold, respect. I wasn't really directing most of that comment at you actually, just asking it to the general population, make people think a little bit.

I need to move to a third world country.... haha :smoking:

12. I'm thinking of joining too. Just doesn't seem like I can make it in civilian life, I need the discipline and guidance that it offers. But I don't think I can handle the america bs. I hate this country after all.

13. I've got some military knowledge that you need to ponder prior to enlisting:

Whatever they promise you, is a lie. Always.

If you enlist with someone you wont away together.

They will dick you around whenever possible.

Most family members and friends that I have in the military absolutely hate it, some love of them love it.

But don't sign a long contract, 3 years is what you should start out with, unless you go to a branch where the minimum is 4.

Either way, good luck, I hope y'all enlist and love it, because its a good way of life if that's your thing.

14. this is all good except for the first line. some things are guaranteed. air force promotes slower, army is only branch that guarantees a job, marines has hardest BCT, etc

and most of the people i know who are in the military love it. all depends on the job really

15. [quote name='"Spaced"']I've got some military knowledge that you need to ponder prior to enlisting:

Whatever they promise you, is a lie. Always.

If you enlist with someone you wont away together.

They will dick you around whenever possible.

Most family members and friends that I have in the military absolutely hate it, some love of them love it.

But don't sign a long contract, 3 years is what you should start out with, unless you go to a branch where the minimum is 4.

Either way, good luck, I hope y'all enlist and love it, because its a good way of life if that's your thing.[/quote]

It's not so much that recruiters lie, it's that they leave out vital information that will turn you away. The buddy system only guarantees you that you will go to boot camp together-and even then you will most likely be put into different squads. And how long your contract is is determined by what job you choose. Most cases you sign a 6 year contract, but the last 2 are inactive; which basically means you're not getting paid and have nothing to do with the Military, but will call you back if they need you. It basically replaces the draft

16. all military obligations are 8 years, but you can choose as low as I think 3 years active and as high as 6 years active, but your always in the reserves for a while before you get discharged.

17. #77 Swills, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
    Poppin mutha fuckers heads off? Do the USA a favor and do not join any branch of any military, even the Coast Guard.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never joined the USN back in 2001.

18. There are also 2 year tours, but you join as UN-designated, meaning you have no assign job/rate in the military, which also means you'll be that guy who is scrapping barnacles off the hull of ships right before you paint them.

19. [quote name='"H4Z3"']I'm thinking of joining too. Just doesn't seem like I can make it in civilian life, I need the discipline and guidance that it offers. But I don't think I can handle the america bs. I hate this country after all.[/quote]

I agree. Im thinking about joining too but i dont know if its completely what i wanna do. Have you taken the ASVAB?

20. [quote name='"Burrito Bandito"']

Done, glad to see you had the mental strength to break out of the army mold, respect. I wasn't really directing most of that comment at you actually, just asking it to the general population, make people think a little bit.

I need to move to a third world country.... haha :smoking:[/quote]

Come down and visit!! I promise you won't want to go back. :)