John Mayer, one of the best guitarists alive

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Peaceful Rocker, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Have you guys listened to John Mayers new shit, not the gay ass pop songs he used to do but he has a band called "John Mayer Trio", that is just amazing. They remind me of Hendrix so much, and he is an amazing guitarist. THey're bluesy, but amazing, seriously listen to them if you like Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughn

2. not a fan of him but he does play a pretty damn good guitar....

3. good guitarist but one of the best players alive is a bit of a stretch :rolleyes:

4. i agree

5. Actually his new blues/jazz stuff is amazing, I don't agree with the best players alive either, but he's pretty damn good in the trio.

6. ill have to check that out

7. he is a good player, but no way he is one of the best alive

8. Well I didn't really like his old songs... but this isn't the first time I've heard praise for his new band. I'll check him out!

9. not a fan of his work, but he is a very good guitar player, he was suposed to be making a band with him, ?est love, and someother guy, i heard one song they did and it sounded real good

10. Agreed

11. if you meant my post lol hell all of you... go download 'listen' and smoke up to it blasting :D

12. "Kath died in 1978 at the age of 31 in an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound."
    Not the brightest XD

13. I've seen him jam out and it was ALRIGHT. Any idiot could play the blues and make it sound tasty... doesnt make you the "best guitarist alive" and i don't listen to him because he's got that "sensitive type" persona going on. i just want to kick his teeth in. but hey thats me

14. I doubt it was on accident as any gun hobbiest would know that simple fact lol I think he did it because he wanted to go out acting like a smartass

point bein' go grab the first 3 albums smoke up and enjoy :D

15. Any idiot can use the basic blues scale and make blues sound good, they can't do what he is doing. When I say one of the, I don't mean THE best guitarist alive..but i'd put him in the top 25. Some of these blues songs he is writting are seriously amazing :/ And I think he's kind of picking up where Stevie left us off

16. listen to what he is playing. every single jam is the same blues licks (which have been done by pretty much every blues guitarist ever) over and over. he isnt doing anything new or special. people have been doing what he tries to do for 70 years.

btw, you might be the only person that has ever compared mayer to SRV.

i will say that this blues stuff hes doing now is fun to listen to, but its nothing very innovative.

17. You compared him to hendrix...thats seriously worth a punch in my circle... lol

woot 2600th post.. atari rules!

18. I think the trio is lame. It reminds me of when Bill Clinton played saxophone on the Arsenio Hall Show, he plays every note just as its written but there's nothing beyond that. It sounds like something you'd hear in a commercial or at Disney World. It's dumbed down blues for the masses that lacks the same amazing edge that real blues have.

19. hes not one of the best because...jimmy paige is still alive!