Jogging/Running

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by KushLover1234, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I always see oldies jogging down by the river, they can go non-stop! Every few months I try to go jog every day, it works for about a week but I run for about a minute or two and then get tired, so I stop running and then quit completely. =/ Is there some secret to it or any way to help keep going?

2. Join the gym and use a treadmill. You can enter a speed that you feel comfortable running/jogging at and if it gets too hard you can crank it down. Like anything else your body will adapt and gradually be better at it.

A 1 or 2 minute run sounds weak though. :p

3. slow your pace also, the more you run the better your endurance.... and don't run everyday as a beginer every other is fine at first untill you build you stamina

4. running starts with good posture.. keep your back straight and your midsection tilted slightly forward.. DO NOT look at the ground.. keep your eyes steadily focused about 1000 feet ahead in the distance. It's important you establish a good rythm of your feet.. you can cheat and get a good rythym happening by clapping your hands when your left foot strikes the ground until you have a steady rythym to your motion

The proper footwear is also extremely important in running.

Stretch out all muscles, ensuring you're holding the stretch for at least 10 seconds each time, doing this both before the run and afterwards to decrease lactic acid buildup

If you're having a hard time motivating yourself.. go to where some younger people are running and pace yourself so you can stare at the hot chicks ass thats covered in spandex in front of you

5. Thanks a lot guys)

That one^ will do it I think, I know the perfect place. :D But yeah I'll try some of that stuff! Good fall weather coming up soon too, woo.

6. Another thing beside the posture idea iPack mentioned you need to have good shoes.

Trail Runners:
    Nike Kutu Dual-D RX
    New Balance 810

Running:
    Asics Gel Kayano
    Asics Gel Nimbus
    Saucony Grid Storm

Those are some shoes I recommend through personal experience but what works for me may not be right for your foot type.

Mostly running is mental strength. This is like any other exercise, to do it first you must believe in yourself. You might be tired after the first couple minutes but if you push through that mental barrier you'll be able to run harder after that point. Don't give up Just do it. :)

7. so true.. if you do any kind of distance running (which i highly reccomend), there comes a point where the endorphins kick in because the body realizes "oh shit, this guy's not gonna stop running, i need to produce something to keep him in gear"

It's such a rush when that point comes, I've turned a planned 3 mile run into 6 just because it felt so good.

I think it's possible to overthink running, speaking of the mental aspect. It's easy to focus on a negative aspect or several (the hurt in my quads, the impact of my feet on the ground). This more so than anything will sap the desire to complete the run.

8. running is very abrasive on your knees. i would much rather ride a bike 20 miles than run a mile.

9. When bikes work out your muscles like running does then I'll change. With todays technology in synthetics there is no reason not to run. Shoes are custom designed to the runner and have more than ample support to absorb the shock. Buy a good pair of running shoes then come talk. When I run its like I'm floating.

10. Well, being low on money at the moment I cannot afford any new shoes :eek: but in the mean time I've started biking more and more! I know it doesn't really help that much with running but hey it's a start I guess. Once I get some new shoes I'll try running again, but thanks again for the help. :D

11. Start off by walking miles until your sweating and tired. Try that for awhile until you've built your cardiovascular system up then slowly work your way up with jogging then start running. Yes maintaining a posture is a main key with walking-running and keeping the same pace. Treadmills will help a lot as well if you have access to one! YOU CAN DO IT! :hello::wave::D

12. 2 minutes? Secret? Just suck it up and press on, it's not supposed to tickle.

13. smoke a little weed first, then when you're running focus on your rhythm and balance
    ..make it fluid and smooth.

only run every second day, on the days inbetween do some weight training

Consistency is key. Slow down, do less miles, whatever is required to keep you going out there every second day.
    In three months you can start to increase your pace and distance.

As far as running being hard on knees etc, a study just came out showing wear and tear are not damaging to our joints, only tear is.
    Here it is: http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20080812/ts_usnews/3mythsand1truthaboutrunningandyourhealth

14. Well, my shoe situation took a dive in the other direction. A friend and I got really baked and ended up buying shoes, I got some that were too narrow and small (they felt fine when I was baked, haha) but yeah, they're not even good for walking. :eek:

Anyways, I found out all I ever needed was motivation to run! A buddy of mine was selling me some green but he had to go up Northside in a few minutes; problem is I was on foot and he was a few miles away. I ended up running about 2 miles in (what seemed like) a short time.

I felt like shit but when I got there I had a few joints and walked away with a fat sack so it ended up okay. :D

Once I get my shit on straight and some actual decent shoes I'll try some of these things out.

Happy tokin') :smoking:

15. this is how i feel about it. long distance jogging has its benefits, but there are a lot better ways to get cardio exercise. biking, as mentioned above, and intense, short term exercises are more practical

16. my thoughts exactly