Joe Dirt's No-Till Soil Adventure

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Joe_Dirt23, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Thanks. It's a learning curve. My first presses were really dark but really it's all comes down to material pressed. This time I used larf from the last round I had jarred and sitting at 60% humidity. I find pre pressing just enough to hold it's shape and not fall apart is best. I was pre pressing with more pressure before but found it be less productive. I do not use a bag or filter, I'm cheap. I might have to toothpick a speck or 2 out after. I'm not selling it so good enough for me. I have found 10g's for my 4x4 plates to be working the best so far. With the nug at 60% humidity I set the temp high at 220°f for the plates. I just kiss the pre pressed puck for 30 secs to warm it up. You can really hear it hiss (I will post another video so you can hear when I get some wifi today). Then I ramp up the pressure to 10 tons for 2.5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Here's the snap, crackle, pop I'm talking about. Bubbleman is the one who showed me this technique in one of his videos.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lv420 from Green Beaver Genetics
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Nice and frosty!! Should be great for future pressing! What’s the smell like?

Freedom in Sustainable Gardening
    Freedom in Sustainable Gardening

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi Prepper420! I was thought this strain looked really frosty as well. Lv420 by Green Beaver Genetics is Chem 91 X DJ Shorts BB (Dennis The Menace). Green Beaver Genetics is a local breeder and is helping organize the Unity Cup starting June 21st.
    I'm getting a real fruity, sweet smell of it. This is definitely my #1 in my stable of strains. I'm currently have a 2 mother of lv420 and a Fruit Punch by Heavyweights I like quite a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Some shots of last press[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Daaaamn . Bet that’s delicious lol

• Like Like x 3
  8. Im smellin that thru the screen! Nicely done

• Like Like x 2
  9. Love your thread man very informative. Dank buds and good music haha. Hey i was just curious how your blumat system is working out for you? Ive also started growing organic, in 5 and 7 gallon pots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey Kray! Glad you are stopped to say a few words. I love the blumat system. My garden work load dropped drastically once I installed the blumats. I was filling my 35 gallon reservoir once a week about. Now with the high summer humidity and I have my dehumidifier going, which pulls about 5 gallons a day from the air and the reservoir goes down 5 gallons. So I just replenish with the dehumidifier water. One problem I ran into is getting the water high enough for a gravity feed system. I need to get my reservoir a little higher. The pressure drops as the water level drops. So this round I have kept it topped up but I will adjust my reservoir higher next round.

You will love orgainic, it truly does deliver a better quality product. You could grow better quantity with different methods but I believe this yields the best product.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sounds like it will make watering quite a bit easier then, just gotta get it dialed in. No nutes is gonna be convenient too. Do you think its easier to overwater growing organic? Seems like the soil stays wet longer also, or maybe im just a highass lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. I find it hard to over water. I have come back to my smart pots with a pool underneath them, I have them elevated, and need the blu mat dialed back a bit. The fabric pots really allow your soil to breath. As does a good aeration medium, I used lava rock. My worms also keep the soil moving and aerated. So for me over watering is not a problem. I would have to be drowning them for days on end. With living soil you want a constant moist or dampness like a damp sponge. Daily I feel the bottom of my pots. I want to feel moisture, not water. I dial the blu mats mats in accordingly by feeling the bottom of my pots daily till I get the moisture level I'm happy with.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Well nearing the end of the road on this grow my friends. Wrapping up week 9 of flower. I would maybe push it another week but I have the house to myself this weekend so I will use that opportunity to chop and not stink up the entire house with my family home.

I'm still working on mastering the cure process. I will just trim the large fan leaves off and attempt a 2 week hang dry before final trim and jarring. I plan on maintaining a rh of around 60% in the drying tent with a humidifier.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Right on. Did you make your own res or did you buy the one that blumat makes? And what all parts will i need besides what normally comes with their bundles?

15. I made my own from a heavy duty tote from canadian tire. My kit came with the res attachment. Each pot of mine has 1 maxi blu mat carrot and 2 drippers. I had to buy the drippers separate from the carrots. I used some old stake drippers to hang the blumat drippers off of. The soaker hose method might be best though.

16. Hey Joe , everything’s looking real good.

I wanted to ask you about your pressing technique.
    I noticed it’s bubbling a little as it’s pressing out which is usually because of a higher temp, is this your preference ? Did you try at lower heat and not like the results?

I know how pressing colder saves more flavor but less yields. Are you pressing hotter for increased yields? Interested in picking your brain a bit ...

17. Hey Nex420. I like to watch bubbleman on YouTube for his videos for squishing. 220f might a bit high. I going to drop it down to 210f, maybe 200f, next time and see what kind of results I get. My rosin from those presses tastes great and no burnt popcorn taste. I kept a bovada pack and humidty gauge in with my larf and maintained it at 62% rh. From what I have seen and read and from my 1st press, you want the humidity around 62%. The slightly wetter weed apparently allows a slightly warmer press. I did get my best presses at 62% but it was larf, as before I was using trim. It should always bubble out, but I guess just at different amounts depending on temp. I supposed mine was bubbleing a lot though so will lower the temp some more.

Also I feel there is so many variations in material being pressed that there is a wide set of guidelines. Like temp, pressure, amount of material being pressed is all depend on material being pressed, size of plates, etc. That's why there are set guidelines not set rules I think. Too many variables. Going for quantity or quality or both? So guidelines like temp between 180-220f are out there and it's up to us to learn the art of pressing rosin. I think you can only get good at it by doing it. Peace

18. Thanks for the info Joe, I very much appreciate it.

Have you tried pressing some freshly harvested material?

My buddy and I have tested a few runs and it’s come to the conclusion that the freshly harvested buds make a rosin that’s like nice and grey colored while older buds generally have that darker color rosin product.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have not tried fresh but I am chopping this weekend so I'll try some larf to see. Never thought of it till you mention it lol. Thanks, it will be a good experiment.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I did 10 presses of 10 g's the other week. Each new photo I have been posting is a different press after I have dabbed through the previous press, lol. So I'm starting a new batch tonight. It's more golden then the previous press but about on par with press number 1. [​IMG][​IMG]