Joe Dirt's No-Till Soil Adventure

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Joe_Dirt23, Sep 21, 2017.

1. I have been reading a lot the last few months the no till revisited thread and I'm all in, I'm going no till growing. I chose this method because of the ease of maintenance and lower overall cost of supplies. Initial startup cost is a bit but once up and running, amendments are much cheaper. Clearly some more experienced growers have figured out a better way of growing and I am going to follow their lead.

I am only 1 day into transplant but all is well so far. This round consists of 2 Acapulco Gold and 2 Strawberry Cake. I have thought about 2 plants per a pot but have decided to not over crowd the pots. So far all I have done is watered with straight water to moisten the soil through the whole pot. I also have been foliar spraying a mix of kelp, silica and fulvic. I spray every time I go into the room.

My soil is made of approximately 10G of peat, 10G of local chicken compost and 7G lava rock. I went a little lighter on the lava rock because I am cheap. I filled 30G smart pots with about 27G of soil. For each pot I individually laid the soil out on a tarp and used a rake to mix it all together. For each pot I added 3 cups each of neem cake, crab meal and kelp meal. 5 cups of granite dust. 1 cup of Malted Barley Powder. An ice cream pail (4 litres) of charged bio char. Lastly, about 30 red wigglers worms.

I tried planting a cover crop and companion plants a couple weeks earlier than my transplants. I planted red clover, lemon basil, chammaille and Dragon Tongue Beans. The red clover, and I have to assume some of the basil is in there, sprouted quite easily. However I decimated the cover crop transplanting the girls. Also the beans are showing signs of life, sprouting and showing their first leaves. I chose the beans because they are nitrogen fixing plants. The lemon basil as a pest deterant. The chammaille because when it dies and mulches it leaves potassium and I think phosphorus too. The red clover as a cover crop.

Photos from yesterday [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Photos from today. The bean plants are exploding.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  3. ahh the birth of a new notill :D
    looking good man! just keep an eye on those beans they can get big, fast, and if not watched can strangle your weed.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Thanks Scoob! I will keep a close eye on the beans. I was worried one bean seed per a pot might not sprout so I put 4 in each. Well every pot has one that sprouted, 2 pots have 2 sprouted and one has 4 sprouted. I plan on training them up a stake with a piece of chicken wire. The package the beans came in said they only grow to 2' but I am expecting much more. As soon as they become a nuisance they will be cut out. Hopefully I can harvest some beans though. That would be a nice bonus.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Very nice Joe. We were talking on another thread about when to use living mulch and cover crops and this scenario is exactly what I mentioned (starting a new soil mix). Keep on your toes with the beans, the grow quick.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  6. Update time. I added a top layer of home made earth worm casings from my worm bin. I also added some malt barley powder (MBP) and I watered with molasses. As well I top dressed a little coconut flour. My neem oil arrive yesterday, so I began the integrated pest management (IPM) spraying. All and all just another day in the garden.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. id get rid of those beans, or at least make sure the leaves are not invading into the space of your cannabis as plants can sense if other plants are invading their space, which can cause them to start fighting for light (by trying to grow taller faster)

watch this (look at how to two sprouts on the left are fighting for space)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Lol. Those beans in the video right from the beginning were blocking those sunflowers. Those flowers were moving everywhere trying to get the light. I am watching my beans. As soon as they encroach on the girls they will be removed. However as of now they are not hindering the girls, so no need to jump the gun. If anything, by this theory of competition for light; it is only encouraging the girls to grow faster to get the most light. I have also since put bamboo stakes next to them and I am training the beans with pipe cleaners to the bamboo stakes.

9. A quick update. I took this video a couple days ago. I'm also trying to nip in the but this fungus gnat problem. I got some nematodes and sticky tabs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sprinkle a good coating of food grade DE on the top of your soil and don't water for a few days problem solved!

• Like Like x 2
  11. NTA 4

• Like Like x 2
  12. i bet you open that tent 100 times a day to look at the girls, i know i would!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lol. I don't know what it is. I could watch them all day. I tend to my garden till there is nothing else I can do, then I just stand at the door of my tent vaping, staring at the plants and watching YouTube for hours.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I wanna see how this goes. Cause dayum

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hey TiPWiLL! Thanks for checking it out. I really enjoy the company so as to not be speaking to just myself. This is my first go at No Till. Everything I have learnt has been on this forum, there is lot's of knowledge on here. Just uploading a new video, so will post it as soon as it's done.
    Cheers Moemedical! Come check it out. I took what info I could from the no till revisited thread and ran with it lol! So far so good. This is the healthiest my plants have ever looked. Before I would get some sort of deficiency. Dis-coloring, mis-shaping. I did not have one problem free grow, untill now (knock on wood). All the messing around was down in the making of the soil. I just add water and a couple top dressings. I call this Ronco growing, "Just set it and FORGET IT!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Grab something to smoke, we going on a adventure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. what brand vaporizer is that?

18. It's the Arizer Extreme Q with the DDave mod. I got the diffusion bong off Dhgate. I really enjoy this setup. It is not as speedy as smoking but the taste is great.

• Like Like x 2
  19. looks like a cool unit but doesnt the weed fall if the bowl is upside down like that? how would you compare it to the SSV?