Jock Horror Vs Jack Herrer - 36x20x62 tent grow 1, crx sunny 1500w

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by JonInColorado, Jun 16, 2018.

1. You Bet :)

2. Transplanted Jack1 and Jock3 the other day, jack1 is growing a bit weird.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this'll help straighten her out
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lol.. sweet, pinch and bend. My clone is coming along slowly...its at 5 weeks and just starting to put out new growth.. I was stupid and picked a branch I had topped..lol 1531267845531947261374.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Update - Friday, 7/13/18 - oldest is 34 days old.

Started the mainlining today, cutting off everything above the 3rd node, and only leaving fan leaves below, on jock 3 and jack 1 anyway, jack 2 is still not big enough for transplant, it's gonna be stacking stuff on paint cans again, that's for sure, oh well, at least now that they're both chopped, jack1 and jock3 are the same height, jock 3 shot up almost twice as high since transplant. I'm starting to think these jack herrer genetics might not be so great... but hopefully I can get an ounce or 2 out of each, we'll see, plus they might grow better once the airflow is improved, Jock Horror seems to be one of those strains that grows great no matter what (unless it dies as a sprout, lol).

[​IMG]

Jack Herrer 1
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 3
    [​IMG]

Cheers! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Update - Friday, 7/27/18 - oldest is 48 days old.

Hi Everyone!
    Sorry I had to skip last week, it's been crazy busy with work and life, but much has happened. Firstly, I discovered that I derp'd my timer and never actually switched it from outlet on to timer on, so for the first 36 days, they were on 24/7 light :eek: So yeah, needless to say I have since corrected that problem, which is likely why they were growing so slow. They've been doing better since, I've done the last part of cutting with Jack 1 and Jock 3 (i'm never growing similar-named strains together again) So they're basically starting their 8 main colas. Jack 2 is still pretty far behind, I'm not even training out her first 2 tops yet, but I think she's gonna start catching up here soon. This most recent watering, I watered with bat guano and top-dressed earthworm castings (roots organic brand, for anyone interested), slowly filled the entirety of all 3 pots, getting 'em all good and saturated, now I'm gonna let 'em dry out and tell me when to water them, and I think I'm gonna do bat guano every watering, and add sea bird guano in flower for the phosphorous. I'm thinking every other week for top-dressing earthworm castings should be sufficient(?). I'm trying this method because my father in law used to grow weed in the 70s and he swears by bat guano alone, but I'm growing in way better soil than the miracle grow he was using, gonna be strict and stick to just this, I was gonna add neem and alfalfa to the top-dress but I think I'm gonna hold off and use just this for now, It's still a crazy-simple method of growing, and even water-only in this soil can produce some great weed, so I'm excited to see what this method can do, and terrified that they'll all herm on me because I stressed the bejeebus out of them with nonstop light for over a month.

this was last week
    [​IMG]

after first topping of jock 2
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    pre topping
    [​IMG]
    post topping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is them this morning
    [​IMG]

I thought about not even mainlining jack2 and just training her, but went ahead with it anyway, hopefully not a mistake, she is way far behind...
    Happy Weekend Everyone ! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey Jon, looking pretty good especially with them working through the new soil!

I'm definitely not an organic terrorist, but from what I understand, guanos and alfalfa are very hot in the sense that they contain a large amount of organic matter that will break down quickly, raising your soil temperature and providing too rich of amendments too quickly for your plants. I wouldn't think that you need to add anything other than EWC or compost on a weekly basis. Many people only re-amend via topdressing around the switch to flowering and in-between cycles in the same soil, if they're re-using their soil.

I came from organic bottles and switched to organic amendments about 15 months ago, and I've over fertilized with organic amendments by trying to use them like bottles are used, fertilizing every week. My recommendation would be to keep it to EWC and then top dress with more stuff around the 12-12 switch. If you want to do more in the meantime, create a mulch layer with chopped up aloe or comfrey leaves, rice hulls and ground malted barley powder mixed into compost or EWC, or water with aloe, compost teas, Korean Natural Farming stuff, things like that. Think of it as more feeding the soil, the microbial life in the soil, and your worms. The plant will control how much of what type of nutrients it needs, if you create the right environment.

I wouldn't stress about the 24/7 light -some growers veg 24/7 because they are under the impression that that can reduce veg time. I don't agree with them, but their plants are not harmed by the constant light, as far as I know.

Just my 2¢, for what they're worth!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tanks for all the info, baconman :D I definitely agree about feeding the soil rather than the plant, that concept completely resonates with me. I decided to try this old school method because I didn't really establish a clear experiment with this grow, I just kinda started it amidst a flurry of construction and harvesting, and it's been a not so great start, and I didn't want to waste a good experiment on a semi-disaster, so I opted for a wacky old-school guano grow, plus it'll make my father-in-law happy that I tried his method. On the next closet grow though, that is the plan, top-dress weekly with ewc until the switch, then try some other stuff with the ewc. And when I eventually try TLO growing, I'll need every amendment ever made, so the guano won't go to waste :p I will heed your warning and keep an eye on the girls and back down or back off the guano if need be. Also I got no worms, just los, not no-till, someday though, I definitely wanna do no-till, I also wanna try endlessly re-vegging a single plant in the same no-till bed.

I have like a million experiments I wanna try with growing, some of the wackier ones I'll do on grows that don't start out with a clearly defined set of parameters like this one. I was entirely strict about my last grow, which was water only in ITG's original soil, kept it pure and I'm glad I did, and my next grow in the closet will be as strict about top-dressing only (I'm saving the teas for later, when I grow little forests of bag seed plants). I'll eventually try everything, but I'll probably come up with a favorite method and do it most of the time, but I doubt I'll ever stop experimenting with all things organic, and I'll probably do it cyclically, come back to old experiments after a year or 2 and try again, I figure the more things I try, the more variety of things I'll encounter and the more I'll learn. OK, hit the new bong too early again, rant done :love-m3j:

Oh, right, girls look great this morning.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. I really look forward to reading about all of your experiments!

9. Ok so I'm probably just stoned but what is ewc?

10. Earth worm castings
    But this is a little misleading as most people actually use red wiggler worms.
    Vermicompost is a better name, but who wants to type that out each time, so ewc it is!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. #31 JonInColorado, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Update - Friday, 8/10/18 - oldest is 62 days old.

So it's been a while. I was at a music festival last weekend and been working since I got back, so much has happened. The girls are bigger, I tinkered with the idea of not even mainlining jack 2 and just training her normally due to her shortness, but ended up doing it anyway, which may be alright, but by the time she reaches up to a tomato cage, I fear jock 3 will be enormous, in fact today I'm starting to think I may have completely outgrown this little tent and might need to flower them out in the closet. I will keep the CRX Sunny with them though, for those interested in what that light can do. I am going to try to train down the 2 taller plants and keep them from becoming monstrously tall and hope little jack 2 can catch up and get off the bricks.

[​IMG]

Jack Herrer 1
    She grows steady, keeps up with jock3, more or less, has some funky leaves from earlier on, new growth looks good though.
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    Finished with her training on Monday, now she's really trying to catch up.
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 3
    She's growing a bit lopsided, 2 of her tops are like 4" taller than the rest, gonna try to train those down.
    [​IMG]

So I've been doing a small watering with plain RO water, then a big watering to runoff with bat guano water onto earthworm castings gently mixed into the topsoil, they seem pretty happy with it, I'll add sea bird guano (which is 0-11-0 for you NPK fans out there) to the water along with the bat guano when I flip to 12/12, which may have to happen in the closet here very soon. The reason I can't flower in the tent is that right now I have the third flap off and the vent open to the room the tent is in so that the sides don't suck in, but that vent is right next to the door to the larger room in which the tent is, which has an enormous gap at the bottom, and light leaks in all the way around the door as well... all of this I will fix at some point, but for right now the grow spaces have to be light tight enough on their own, so that's why the move to the closet needs to happen now, because if I flip in the tent and close up that flap, there won't be any room in the tent for the plants to grow, so the plants'll go into the closet today, and I'll dismantle everything, figure out how to make the duct fan work, set it all back up, take some measurements and try to determine whether I can (realistically) finish out the grow in the tent at all, or if they need to stay in the closet (which honestly I'd be fine with, then the tent can be a veg tent for this, and the next grow, and I can do a full grow in the tent some time later) but if I can make it all work in the tent, I absolutely will.

Happy Weekend Everyone! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Update - Friday, 8/17/18 - oldest is 69 days old.

Soooooo I didn't do any of what I said last week, instead I just re-oriented the plants and fans, tied down all the tops of both Jack1 and Jock3 so they basically have to start over growing from the height of the tomato cages, now jack2 is catching up, and then flipped the lights to 12/12, just closed the vent to keep light out, and whatever happens happens, I'll have some pruning to do here soon once they really stretch, watered with bat guano and seabird guano water yesterday, also been giving guano water to an unidentified houseplant that seems to love it too. I'll make this post less wordy and just skip to the pictures.

[​IMG]

Jack Herrer 1
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    Down to just 1 layer of bricks, I'm hoping to get to none if possible.
    [​IMG]

Jock horror 3
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Update - Friday, 8/31/18 - 20 Days in flower, 83 days total.

Hey everyone, missed another update, sorry, so busy, this grow has been on auto pilot since flip. I water with bat guano and seabird guano at full strength onto top-dressed earthworm castings every water (about once a week right now, becoming more frequent). A week or 2 ago I trained down jack1 and jock3 to let jack2 catch up, I left them tied down and took off all chutes before the upward-ascending 8 tops, so I don't have any crappy lower buds this time, I did stick to the plan, however, and leave ALL fan leaves in place, except mummies that fall off on their own, which they've all been doing quite regularly. They do seem happy despite the less-than-ideal environment and the tent caving in on them, jock3 is about 2" taller than the other 2, but they're within 21" from the light at their tops, so I just keep jock3 at 18" and all is well.

[​IMG]

Jack Herrer 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 3
    I'm fundamentally opposed to "tall" oriented pictures, as they work directly against the way the human eye works, however, it's hard to get a picture with her in focus if the plant to her right is in the way, as the camera will focus on it instead, and I was too lazy to take the other plant out.. Some day I will get good shots of all 3 girls, probably in the closet with the white walls...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the future of me growing might be slightly in jeopardy, I figured since I have solar (5-year-old solar city (now tesla) system designed for our power needs when I was living alone, now married), that I'd be ok in the summer, turns out no, my monthly tesla bill is $55 (excel is usually like $7 in summer, but since growing, it's more like $100-$200 per month to excel for a little led grow light and a duct fan... how the hell do you guys do it? without solar this would be like $500 a month!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hi! I been gone awhile. I'm glad to see the girls are doing so well! I'm getting set up to start a no-till set up in January. I'm going to start a journal for it. I hope you'll check in on it.:) By the way, the bud is cured now! It turned much smoother for smoking. A real earthy taste but not heavy. Great CBD content with a lot of creative and critical thought. I think i harvested a week late. It might've had a bit more kick. I wish I knew what it was!. The clone i took from the best one is at 8 weeks now..but I had it under a 18w cfl bulb with window light, so it was still small. I trained it into 8 branches and manifolded them. Let them go 1 week and just topped them today. Gonna try and see if I can scrogg it to fill my 2x4 to see what the 2 vipar450 can do. I'll post a pic in a few weeks on my page.

15. Oh. And my girlfriend pays the electric! And she doesn't even use the stuff.

16. Man, power must be much less expensive for me! My utilities bill comes out to about $30-$40/month in the summer, while running grow stuff and a few a/c units. Drops pretty substantially in the winter, obviously, but gas kicks up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. #37 JonInColorado, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Update - Friday, 9/7/18 - 27 Days in flower, 90 days total.

Hey everyone, another week down, a month or so and I'll have a harvest (or a sad story to tell). I'm not sure if I mentioned this last post, but I'm top-dressing ewc and watering with guano every time I water now, as far as I can tell, they love it, also doesn't seem like they're growing any taller, so it looks like they won't outgrow the tent. watering is about every 4 days now, and I wouldn't be surprised if that gets up to every 3 days soon. I'm just mixing up a gallon jug of RO water with 2 Tbsp of bat guano and 2 Tbsp of seabird guano, mixed up the day before a watering, left to steep, agitated occasionally. I cover the top of my soil with a thin layer of ewc (enough to cover the soil below from sight, then I mix it into the top 1/2 inch of soil with my fingertips, then water with a watering can that I clean and disinfect (along with the gallon jug (and my hands)) A gallon seems to be about perfect for 3 plants in 2-gallon pots (at this stage), there's enough runoff to where I have to drain (and clean) the saucers every time I water.

[​IMG]

Jack Herrer 1
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 3
    [​IMG]

So we've figured that the A/C is more the problem than grow lights, so I will start growing in the spring, and stop after September/October, and I can only grow if we don't use A/C, God I hope we remain cavemen forever and keep giving each other large amounts of imaginary shiny objects that take forever to "earn" for things that could've been free for everyone 100 years ago (electrical power), I'm gonna go bang rocks together and thank one of a handfull of clearly psychotic deities for rain.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Figured out that Firefox is why I couldn't post pictures (probably because of my million open tabs), so i posted the pictures in chrome for the time being until I can fix firefox. Anywho, I took some full-body shots and canopy shots when watering the other day, they didn't turn out completely terrible, so here ya go. I'll still do an update tomorrow with poofball closeups.

Jack Herrer 1
    Her colas are very short, so hopefully they get fat and dense like little footballs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 3
    Despite the training down of branches, she's still a full 7" taller than the other 2, in my last grow, one of the jock horror plants was also about 7" taller than all the other plants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See you all tomorrow :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Update - Friday, 9/21/18 - 41 Days in flower, 104 days total.

It's actually Saturday, I have last weeks and this week's pictures, I'll just post it all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jack Herrer 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]