Job Application Tips

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by wolftigerosebud, Dec 13, 2013.

1. I'm gonna be hitting every single guitar store in Portland tomorrow looking for a job. Any tips on appearance/demeanor/specific things to bring with me? I'm looking to make a good impression on any managers I might meet.

Besides, on Monday I'm gonna go branch out to other businesses, so if the guitar thing doesn't work I can still use the information.

Show me the way, oh gainfully-employed people.

2. I just recently got a job at a pizza restaurant in my town; When I did my application I tried to say I could work as much as my schedule would allow so they would feel like I was worth hiring. I live in a college town so it might be different for you, but when I went to my interview I wore a nice button up and Khaki pants. Nothing overly special and I was just polite and told them honestly what I was able to work. Just be polite and look clean cut an you'll get a job eventually. Good luck man.  :smoke:

3. Thanks dude.

It occurs to me that if anyone works at a music store it might be cool to get input from them, too.

4. I have no experience specifically for the music store. I would say you need to be confident and approachable. I am guessing you want to be selling music equipment, so maybe try and show your vast knowledge of their products. I think most important will be showing you are able to talk and socialize with customers. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Dress nice, comb your hair, and be yourself. It seems simple, but there's not much more you can do.

6. #6 nascarfan, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
    I'm an assistant manager in a small time fast food joint. I'm the one who usually sorts through the applications and what not (sometimes I do interviews; sometimes it was the GM....back when we had one anyway). Since hiring and training a new employee is a huge burden financially (remember small business; our payroll increases by 1/3 just to train, not to mention things that have to be thrown out for being prepped/made wrong and work that has to be redone). Here's what I always look for:

First of all the application is critical. And it's not all about the piece of paper either. It's about how your present yourself when asking for one. If I'm there you'd better believe I'm observing. If I'm not, my supervisors are. Dress well. Don't overdress. If it's a small shop, no need to wear a 3 piece suit. But ripped jeans and a band t-shirt doesn't cut it. If you can't dress like you want a job, I'm not hiring you. Conduct yourself in a professional manner. If you're rude to my employees, or rude about company policy (I've had people flip out over having to fill out the application there) your app is going straight into the garbage. Don't bring friends in with you, or god forbid your parents. And be prepared! I'm far more impressed with someone who walks in with their info ready to write down, and their own pen than I am with someone who says "Oh, I'll have to go get my info" and asks to borrow a pen. Oh, and don't even dare to come in looking for an application when it's busy. You'll be shown the door. In the restaurant business, that's noon, and after 4. Your best bet is to come in right as they're opening, or after lunch. I can't tell you when retail is busiest.

Now the application itself. Write neatly. I'll just throw it out if I can't read it. Neat writing gives a good impression too. Avoid spelling and grammar mistakes as much as possible; I'm no nazi, but if it's obvious enough to see on a first glance, that's a no go. Obviously write down all relevant experience, and if you have none, make sure you list a job history of some sort at least, even if it's just volunteer. Whatever you do, make sure you list references. Oh! And here's one most people don't realize. Write something down for everything. Even if it doesn't apply to you, fill in N/A. It'll give the application a more professional look, and that can give you a leg up.

If you do get called for an interview, rearrange whatever you have to to come in when asked. We generally don't reschedule for people who can't make it to the interview. Show up on time. Shake your interviewer's hand. Dress appropriately. Ask questions! Act like you actually have an interest in working there. That's something that goes over a lot of people's heads. If it comes down to two similar applications, I'm going to hire the person that acts more professional and interested in the business. And again, be prepared. You should always be prepared to be hired on the spot, even if you're just going in to fill out an application.

Good luck dude.