Jimi Hendrix vs Bob Marley

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by darksmoker, Nov 24, 2011.

1. What a dumb thread haha, they had vastly different types of music and influence. Just because theyre both black guitarists doesn't mean you can compare them.. To me it's like apples and oranges

2. [quote name='"Messiah Decoy"']Hendrix is a rarer talent musically.

Marley has a more powerful and enduring message. It's biblical.

It's like comparing Motzart to Moses. If genius with an instrument is your thing you pick Hendrix. If music that inspires millions of to stand up for the oppressed and impoverished then you go for Marley.

I pick Bob.[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better! Hendrix on the guitar is just an amazing thing to observe.. Imagine what kind of player he'd be if he was still alive :(

Bob on the other hand.. Not so much focus on the musical talent, more on political and social commentary in his music.

Marley influenced millions, not just musically but in many aspects. Hendrix on the other hand has inspired millions of people to say "wow I wanna play guitar, that dude is a beast". Apples to oranges

3. first things first..bob marley was not "black" he was jamacian but im fans of both..i personally believe jimi was the best guitarist of all time and i think bob marley is the best reggae singer of all time

with that said though its bob marley to me and its not even close...jimi's influence was strictly musical but bob marley's image is more then just music its a life style and a belief..he was a huge figure it promoting peace for everyone

social activist>musical influence every time

4. [quote name='"Nukes1337"']
    Hendrix stuff is really easy to play on the guitar. He is not really that great of a player.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv5wtdfq6v0

This is real guitar playing. So many advanced techniques in a single video I lost count.[/quote]

Omg dude if you think Hendrix wasn't good at guitar you're crazy.. You can't compare music from his time to today's music, obviously musicians have advanced since then. By your logic, the Beatles weren't influential because their music wasn't "hard to play". Influence doesn't have anything to do with the difficulty of the music.

Sure it's easy to copy what he already wrote.. No shit. But to come up with it on his own off the top of his head? That's impressive. Musical influence and talent isn't solely based on how difficult your music is to play.. It's about WRITING the music, just because it's easy for others to copy doesn't mean it took no skill or musical prowess to write.

Anyone can copy another persons music, but to write that original piece is something immensely different.

5. [quote name='"turnadaburna"']first things first..bob marley was not "black" he was jamacian but im fans of both..i personally believe jimi was the best guitarist of all time and i think bob marley is the best reggae singer of all time

with that said though its bob marley to me and its not even close...jimi's influence was strictly musical but bob marley's image is more then just music its a life style and a belief..he was a huge figure it promoting peace for everyone

social activist>musical influence every time[/quote]

Very true, that's why I think it's a bad duo to compare. If you're talking about advancing the techniques and styles of guitar playing, Hendrix takes the cake hands down. If you're talking about social influence and the effect it had on people's lives OUTSIDE the musical aspect, it's clearly Bob.

6. are you really comparing hendrix to todays shit? like really? well, i'm assuming you were joking so hahahaha, that was funny! xD

7. Musically, they're both highly influential in their respective genres of music. As black men? I'm not black so can I even really say? I'm pretty sure Bob Marleys father was actually white anyway, and Jimi had Native American heritage. But I dont give a shit about any of that, because regardless of color I think both these guys had the right idea when it came to how to be even a halfway decent person. Anyone of any color that isnt a dickhead should be able to appreciate that. :smoke:

8. [quote name='"darksmoker"']

are you really comparing hendrix to todays shit? like really? well, i'm assuming you were joking so hahahaha, that was funny! xD[/quote]

For real, if it wasn't for Hendrix then a lot of today's amazing guitarists would never have even picked up an ax.. That's like saying the Beatles suck because death metal bands' music is WAY harder to play lolol

9. Bob Marley globalized a whole genre of music, which is something Jimi didn't do

Although, I could easily name 100 "black dudes" more inspirational than both of them

and, I'm a huge fan of both, but musically I definitely enjoy Bob more, only because I'm a bigger fan of reggae

10. Bob Marley.

OP how can you say Bob marley's music sucks and you hate it?
    Did you even give it a good listen?
    btw i like Jimi too`!

11. Hendrix has more talent as an artist, but I love Marley's perspective on life and the messages he conveys. While I do like his songs on occasion, you can't compare his music to Jimi's. But, as a stoner, not a guitarist, Bob Marley has been more influential to me personally.

12. of course i have, which is how i am able to say it sucks. lol. i dont like it. i've listen to tons of his songs to see if at least one caught my interest. unfortunately, no such thing happened.

13. So that means that "it sucks" just because you don't like it?

That's one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard.

Who are some of your favorite musicians?

14. why dont you NOT take everything so literally? jesus christ. it sucks TO ME. not in general. people like his music because to them his music is good. to me, it is not. is that such a problem? god damn man, relax.

15. Good job ignoring my question.

16. because you are being very hostile and rude for no reason. please excuse yourself from my thread if you are going to continue being a dick for, again, no reason. no need for the hostility. if you lose the attitude, i'll be happy to continue the conversation. until then, see ya. :wave:

17. [quote name='"Jose Bautista"']I remember when I was a little kid and I thought the lyrics to bob marleys jammin was "pajamas pajamas, and I hope you like pajamas too". So i choose him[/quote]

Hagahaha

18. Hendrix and Bob Marley are pretty much my two favourite musicians :) got to admit i prefer hendrix tho. His music is so unique, and his guitar playing/song writing is incredible.
    Bob marley chills me out like nothing else, best music to get high to :)

19. Hahahaha Jamaicans are black. Where do you think they came from in the first place?

But I dunno.. Hendrix?