Jiffy pellet/pod question, how to get seeds to want to sprout out the top

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by vdubplate, Jun 25, 2011.

1. I was surprised just recently to get a ton of seeds to germinate, so I stuck them in jiffy seed pods. These are the small silver dollar sized peat pellets that expand when you submerge them in water. So my question is, do I just leave them in the dark and wait for the sprout, to show out the top before I put light on them or do I keep them under light? Does warmth make them sprout quicker? What do I do with these guys?

2. Hey vdubplate,

Warmth will help to expedite germination. A seedling heat mat is a good investment both for seeds and for clones. As soon as you see green, put a small cfl (23w) on them until they get a couple leafsets and then plant and you're ready to go.

Welcome to GC,

chunk

3. Put them in a cool dark place. Come back in 12 hours or so check to make sure nothing fucked them up. Another 12-24 hours they should be sprouting. Read the guides on germinating. It can take up to 5 days to germinate and some never do at all.

4. 2 questions guys. 1. is it true feminized seeds can come as males? 2. when should i put my flourescent 200 w 6500 on my seedlings? i see the sprouts but not the cotyledons

5. i know im off topic. just joined and im trying to find my way around

6. just read the post i believe youy all answered my question already. Now ab the feminized seeds, anyone have any thoughts

7. Very easy dude..no light till 1st set of leaves. A plant can not even use light until it has leaves. Everything it needs to develop and grow initially is wrapped up in the cotyledons.

Just germinate them be patient and you will see!

8. sweet. i have them in a green house container. I wasn't sure if it mattered if that was in the dark or not. Thanks for all the info though

9. honestly i have found that seeds are really resilient to anything you do to them.. to an extent. After placing the seed in water for 16-24 hours i place them in the pellets, and straight under my 18/6 veg lights, but on the ground and kinda away from the light.

After about 24 hours, i go in and with a paper clip i gently break away the top parts i placed over the seed to check and make sure the taproot is heading in the right direction. Within 72 hours you should already start seeing your first true leaf set.

Just dont rip through the soil and be gentle with it, and they will show you much love.

PS: I find checking on the seed every 24 hours to make sure the taproot is going the right way actually helps speed up the process.

10. Cool. I have germinated them and they were doing well. Im worried about the duration of time I am at now where they are buried in the jiffy peat. Its getting close to being 48 hours and there is no sign of life. I have them in a green house close to the window. Maybe ill do what you suggested and poke around to see what the deal is.

11. I would give it about 3-5 days before poking around down there. Sometimes it just takes time. You do want to make sure that the pellet isn't too packed down, but even then the sprout will usually find it's way through. If after 5 days you have nothing, then maybe loosen up some soil to see what's going on just so nothing gets slowed down.

As far as the feminized seeds go...they are genetically set up to be female, but there tends to be a higher rate of hermies from fem seeds.

12. I think that would be overkill for seedlings...you should probably stick with a couple cfls or something while they are seedlings until you have a couple of leaf sets. Would be good for after that though!

13. femenized seeds are susceptible to growing stress and will express their stress through hermie'ing (yeah, i know its not an actual word). in theory the feminized seeds is engineered to be a female and any male parts that would show up would make it a hermie (not a male).

14. I'll prob use fluorescents until I see leaves then start blasting them with the metal halide.

15. im going to attempt this now