Jiffy Pellet help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Leaflock, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hello GC!

First grow here, attempting DNA Lemon Skunk and I'm wondering if I've gotten myself into trouble, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can check my grow journal here for my current setup.

I'm using Jiffy Pellets on the recommendation of the gentlemen at my local hydroponics shop. I germinated via wet paper towel and planted once the seeds looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I've been having problems keeping the jiffy pellets moist, when I get home from work/wake up in the morning they tend to look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am able to come home at lunch to give them water if need be, so they never go more than 4-7 hours without me looking in on them.

My questions are:
    1. Am I doing harm to my seeds by letting the jiffy's dry out like this?
    2. Should I change my setup to create a better environment for my seedlings?
    3. How long should it take from germination to seedling?

It has been 4 days since I planted the germinated seeds, should I be concerned that I'm not seeing seedlings?

Thanks!

Leaflock

2. Yes. The pellets went dry= plants died. Next time you buy seeds, shop by price. It's going to take a while to get through this.. Either that or buy tomato seeds to practice with. Oh and ditch those pellets they look awful. I'd go for black gold organic potting soil. Just soak the pots down, and stick the seeds facing down 1/4'' under the surface. cover loosely or keep it in an area with high humidity, and you should see sprouts within 10 days. the seeds will crack within 2 days and it takes up to 8 days after ward for the plant to breach the surface and open it's first leaves.

3. I can post more detail if your interested.

4. : Rapid Rooter 50 Cell Propogation Tray and Plugs [HF-GH 3254] - $19.00

Use that....ALL Jiffy products are useless for cannabis...

With the rapid rooters, put 16 oz of ph balanced wter in the tray then set the tray on a seedling heat mat. Allow the climate to build for a couple hours then throw the seeds in the hole and cover with some 'rooter' material from another plug...NOW STEP AWAY AND COME BACK IN 3 DAYS...100% your seeds will germinate and begin a root system in under 4...

5. : Rapid Rooter 50 Cell Propogation Tray and Plugs [HF-GH 3254] - $19.00

Use that....ALL Jiffy products are useless for cannabis...

With the rapid rooters, put 16 oz of ph balanced wter in the tray then set the tray on a seedling heat mat. Allow the climate to build for a couple hours then throw the seeds in the hole and cover with some 'rooter' material from another plug...NOW STEP AWAY AND COME BACK IN 3 DAYS...100% your seeds will germinate and begin a root system in under 4...

Seedlings favor temps at 86F and humidity between 90 and 95%

6. Big thank you to everyone who replied to the thread.

I've got 3 DNA seeds left, going to wait a few weeks before trying again after I do a bit more research and reading.

Thank you for the tips, greatly appreciated!

7. I'm starting Round 2, after picking up a digital thermometer and running some tests I'm switching over to a CFL for the time being(temperature permitting I'll switch over to the HPS in the winter months after a few grow cycles).

Question about my original pictures, are those good sized taproots for planting? This time around I'm ditching the Jiffy's and going directly into the following pots:
    [​IMG]

Seeds are going into tupperware containers with wet paper towels above the water heater:
    [​IMG]

I'm going to plant directly into the plant pots with my bat-mix potting soil. Give the soil a good pre-soak, let it drain, plant the seeds taproot down 1/2 inch, 24 hours of the 125w florescent blue spectrum bulb.

Anyone have additional advice?

8. I use Fox Farms Light Warrior soil for seedlings. I tried that Black Gold someone else mentioned and maybe they ahd better luck with it then I did. With the Black Gold I had nothing but problems trying to maintain the PH within the 6.3-6.8 range and the seedlings showed it. For lighting I just use a couple of 23 watt daylight CFL`s to get them going for the first week or two.

9. I started in a jiffy pellet kit from Wally world, but it had a humidity dome and a wicker watering system for the pellets . $4.

image-2022406634.jpg

10. Nice looking ladies! My main problem with the jiffy pellets was the heat and having my light way too close.

Part of me wants to try the jiffy pellets again, but I've gotten so much negative feedback on them(here and on the net) that I'm a bit tepid about a second round with them.

**EDIT** Just checked the temp in the water heater closet, 77f.

11. I just use small Solo party cups for seedlings. Also stay away from Jiffy peat pots, they inhibit root growth through the biodegradable pot and can mold on the sides.

12. The pots I got are about the size of a 16oz solo cup(a bit bigger I believe).

That's the general consensus I've seen on the jiffy pellets, but some people still love them... each to their own I guess! I think I'm going to try with the soil.

13. I just put mine by a space heater with the watering wick and the humidity dome on and in 3 days I got sprouts. Light isn't good for them I don't think until they have real leaves .
    I've heard of putting them on top of the fridge b4 to.

14. Damn kesey, i totally disagree on your jiffy statement. You dont need alot of light on those pods, and with ur tray id just pour enough water on it so the pods can soak up the water needed, humidity will do the rest. I only use those pellets to germinate and have had 99percent grmination. Just put the bean in the middle of the pod when its wet, keep it moist( once again ladies sorry) and the bean will crack and start to sprout. Ive tried the towel crap, water soak and for me im busy as hell so the pellets work great. Just need to figure out the temp and how much water you need. I love jiffy pellets and shit, all their products. Not for weed. Ha.

15. aren't the jiffy pellets just peat with a dissolvable net around them?

16. I have read multiple times that the Jiffy pellets cause a higher pH inhibiting root production, and I didn't have much luck with them my first time. But that's probably just because I'm a noob ;)