Jiffy peat and hydro dont mix do they?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by greenthumbed, Sep 17, 2009.

1. I put a couple seeds in my girlfriends jiffy peat pellet deals with her herbs, oregano and rosemarry shes going to grow in dirt. Well my seeds finally came up and look really healthy but what about planting them in hydroton in my hydro system? Wont the pellets fall apart into my system? Wha do I do with them now???

2. lmfao

3. Jiffy pellets are designed for soil. You can use them in hydro (depending on system). But when the roots grow, the pod will burst and the peat will get into your nutrient solution, in turn, it will keep messing with your pH level (raising it) and if you have drippers or misters it will clog them. But if you can keep the peat from entering your system then your plant will have no problems.

4. LOL!

Yeah I was afraid of you saying that. Can I was all the dirt away and plant right into the hydroton? Maybe grow those 2 in dirt or grow those two in a small DWC system? Thanks for all te help John, youre about the ony member that answers my questions. Why is that??? There are hundreds of members online all the time and I get questions answered seldomly.

5. I've never done it, but i can't see why they wouldn't survive if you wash most of the peat from the roots, they might have a little transplant shock, worth a try.

Cause you don't ask daft questions. And i probably get to your question before others, doesn't mean they didn't want to answer your question.

6. LOL I kinda know what Im talking about so I dont get answered?

Hmmm yeah maybe guess I should do it now whie the plants and roots are small? Or building a DWC will take 5 minutes, so I could have six in the drip and 2 in dwc

7. Yeah, i'd do them all bubblers, i'm not fond of drippers (unless they're buried where light doesn't get to the nutrient solution).

8. Well I have high temps, thats why Im going with drippers as I heard high res temps are bad for dwc

9. Hello,
    That All I Use. Once In The Pellets It Wont Come Apart.

Thank You
    Longhair1

10. use em all the time ..they work fine in hydro.

11. I transfered this from dirt to dwc two weeks ago. gently rinsed the soil from the roots, inserted it into a rockwool cube and into the hydroton basket. It didn't seem to get shocked at all.

Attached Files: