Jibbarama's First Outdoor! grow log

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by jibbarama, Jun 2, 2009.

1. So my friend and I decided to take a shot at growing this summer. We started with 6 seeds, 2 died during germination, and 2 more died as sprouts, so we were left with 2 seedlings which we raised inside until they were about 4" tall. We transplanted them to pots and put them in the woods just a few days ago. I went to check up on them today and took some shots, this will be the start of my grow log!

here they are after ~1.5-2 weeks indoors and 3 days outdoors. I believe both are Grapefruit in strain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will try to update once a week, please give me any words of advice you have, this is my first grow and I only have 2 plants, so I don't want them to die :)

2. They look good!

I would say next time wait a little before putting them outside.. I put mine out when they had a thickness to the stalk. I did this last year and put babies outside and lost them all due to being to small and weak, or not ready for the outside.

Do you have slug bait? 2 things are very important in an outdoor grow... Slug bait, and a decent barrier of defense from critter, deer, etc, etc.. You can use pricker bushes, and hollow out a big patch, or put up a small chicken wire fence. If there are any deer in your area they WILL eat your plants, and also, small critters like some fertalizers I think. Last year I had a couple plants that survived the longest die to being uprooted by what I believe to be small critters digging for the smell of the nutes (this is an assumption, but it happened the night the first nutes were applied) I am hoping my pricker bushes will keep the deer out, but we shall see.

Good luck in your grow!!

Keep us posted!

3. #3 cantharis, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
    I put mine out as soon as they pop the surface. But I have no frost here, and no herbivores on my roof. I did put the smallest inside under fluoros on a couple of cold, wet, days, though.

May I ask, what light is that ??​

4. no light, just the flash from my camera. it was taken in the morning, so there wasnt much direct sunlight at the time.

5. --------------------------------JUNE 10 UPDATE--------------------------------------

So it's been almost 2 weeks since they were put outdoors, and 9 days since my last update. here are some pics. Are they stretching too much? If so, are there any ways to correct this other than more light? (its hard to find in a PNW forest). And should I top them or LST them, or both, and are they ready for LST or topping?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for the help!

6. They look good, keep it up!:hello:

7. I think you should fill it with enough soil to cover the cotyledons because its looking slightly stretched. It looks nice and healthy tho good job.

8. I myself am located on the edge of a rediculous patch of the great PNW forest... I know its hard to find sun all day long, but you can find areas where it is getting partial sun through out the day and you should be fine.

I would not top them.. This creates alot of stress on your babies and high stress can lead to males, and we dont want that. I would see no need to do anything at this point other than watch them grow..

I do know that when you put them in the ground (assuming you are), dig big holes and fill with your favorite soil, and then put the babies in, and then top with soil all the way up to your last couple sets of growth.. Bury all that weak growing stuff. I think when you do this they will not be stretching out as much. They will have a great base to them, and be able to hold an effective harvest. This is what I did to the 2 in the ground, and they are not growing as fast but they are super healthy and getting fatter.

Anyway Good Luck to you!!

Today was a great day for the plants!!

9. Yeah they get a decent amount of direct sun, and partial/indirect sunlight all day pretty much. I predict they will grow a bit slow but they look very healthy so far. I don't think I will be putting them in the ground unless I have to, the ground is kind of fucked up there, its like moss, lichen, roots and logs. not very much space. would it be a problem for the plants? I will take some pictures of the pots and plants tomorrow to show their size.

10. -------------------------------JUNE 18 UPDATE=============================

they seem to be stretching. any remedies other than more light? Also, when should i start fertilizing? they are already in 1/2 organic ocean floor soil and 1/2 outdoor potting mix. The only fert I have right now is 4-2-3 organic bonsai fertilizer, would that work?

PICS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any help gets rep!!!

11. that's looking real nice

12. bumpidy bump donald trump

13. ================JUNE 22 UPDATE==========================

they don't seem to be growing very much. I havent been fertilizing, they look healthy, but would some extra nutes speed the growth? Would it be a bad idea to FIM if they are growing slowly?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. hey man im a first time outdoor grower too. Mine too went through a time when they didnt seem to be growing much. I think this was when the plant is building a good root system. your plants look great and with a few more days of good weather im sure they will shoot up. Mine grew like a foot in a week after not growing very much for about a week and a half. good luck man!

15. I'm in the same boat as you and Gardner, I just started my first outdoor grow.

Don't worry about the growth, if your soil is fine and you are nuting it properly it will grow. When it is cloudy, a plant focuses more of its energy on root development and expansion (as well as at night) and during sunny days it soaks in all that lovely sunshine.

Word to the wise - don't over nute your plant! If you think it isn't growing "fast enough" the last thing you want to do is saturate the already nutrient heavy soil with more N P or K. Your plants stretched some and are still relatively small! Definitely give it some time to adjust.

Also, due to the stretch, i'd recommend you try tying it down.. but be gentle!

16. #17 jibbarama, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    ===============JULY 9 UPDATE==================

I have been away, so i let mother nature take care of the watering, it poured here for the past few days. the plants look real healthy, and are growing nice big leaves but they are stretching. on the plus side,new leaves are starting to appear at the internodes. i have not added ferts up to this point, they just had organic ocean soil and potting mix. also some pics of herb i picked up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bump, added one more pic

18. Your plants are looking nice and green man. Hopefully they provide you with plenty of good smoking herb come harvest time.

19. =============JULY 18 UPDATE=====================

i am quite heartbroken right now, as my plants have become sick in some way i cannot identify, i am pretty sure it is some kind of insect. The damage is only on the upper leaves and new growth from the internodes. can somebody give me a diagnosis???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]