jetta GLI VR6

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by viper2788, Dec 15, 2010.

1. so its about that time for me to grow out of my tC and move onto better things. I have a budget of about 10k and i was thinking of a VW jetta GLI/2.8L VR6.

heres the dilemma:
    from what ive researched, i def want a VR6 as opposed to the 1.8T... which they stopped putting in the GLI after either 2003 or 2004. I also want the body styling of a 2004+ model, but it seems they only come with the 1.8T.

so besides a few touches such as the taillights and bumpers, do the 2003 and 2004+ jettas have the same body styling? as of now im thinking of getting a 2003 GLI/VR6 and just getting a 2004 OEM body kit. any thoughts?

any advice on jettas or other cars in general would be appreciated. i havent decided for sure on my new car, but im really leaning towards the GLI.

2. #2 Ritalin, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  3. 1.8t is a good motor to. mine has 140k no problems yet and its running 16lbs of boost daily driver

4. my friend has a passat with the 1.8t and he's always singin' its praises.

i haven't driven anything with the 1.8t but i love to the 2.0.

5. The 2.0 is the 1.8 plus moar awesome.

2004 and 2003 are pretty much the exact same car look wise. we have an 04 1.8t that is a blast to drive.

6. man here you go:

mk2/3 gti (only mk2 if you can swap in 12v vr6 or is already swapped) either way 12v vr6

buy this Kinetic Stage III Turbo Kit

put the left over cash in your poccket. Buy cosmetic items. whatever floats your boat.

7. 2003 was the last year of the 24v VR. and yes the 03 and 04 do have the same body styling. The 4th gen ended after 2005. best looking body for the golf/jetta IMO. Plus the GLI has the six speed:hello:

[​IMG]

8. @OP B5S4 2.7L V6 30 Valve, great looks, handling & speed. Price is pretty decent (around the same for a GLI), and if you need a VR6 there are plenty of company's with aftermarket support. Better interior, you still get your 6 speed & it's AWD.

9. Im not that good with cars or anything like that but my friend recently got a GLI a few months ago and ive ridden in it a few times, including one fairly long distance trip. Theyre good cars and DUMB fast like most VW's.

10. Hopefully you have decided to purchase it by now, or havent bought a car yet. I bought one of these a year ago and to this day I still find it the best car I've ever owned. I bought a '03 GLI VR6 6 Speed(The best year for this car Fyi) with 118k miles on it for 5.5k. No problems at all! The 1.8t engine is alright if your looking for a daily driver, but if you want to feel alive the 24v VR6 is the only way to go.