jesus, mary, and joeseph.....i might join the army...?!

Discussion in 'General' started by blazedandcrazed, Dec 26, 2008.

1. or national guard to be specific. i dont even know the difference. heres how it begins---

it starts with free movie tickets. i get this thing in the mail with the national guard logo all over it. usually i just toss them. i really never have had any interest in the armed forces. i figure, why waste 4 years of my life? but on the front it says '2 free movie tickets!' and believe im all about free shit:p so i get it open and look. you have to go to the website to redeem them. i get on the website and some time around this point it all makes sense --- shit i should actually go for this. im basically dicking around flunking liberal arts classes at a college my parents sure as hell cant afford.

does anyone have anything to say about this? i really dont know jackshit about the national guard so any insight would be great im going to continue looking into it.

2. What the hell -
    How did redeeming movie tickets lead you to joining the National Guard?
    Your story seems to be missing something,.

3. I'll tell you one thing man,

if i cant find a job soon

im signing up for something
    just dont know what

4. you must be...

blazed
    and
    crazed

5. Do You Know Enough To Enlist? - AFSC.com

Will enlistment help me achieve my goals?

Many people enlist hoping to get job training and work experience. But you may find that military enlistment hurts, rather than helps, your search for a good job. Going into the services also may not be the best or only way to get money for college or vocational training. Before you decide to enlist, look carefully at what you'll actually be doing - not just your job title. You may find that your job isn't what you thought it would be.

• The military might not give you the job training and work experience you expect. Jobs with fancy sounding titles often are low skill and non-technical.
    • Many military jobs are so different from civilian jobs that you may not be able to use your training after you leave the military, or you may have to be retrained.
    • The military is not required to keep you full time in the job for which you trained or for the entire time you are in the military.
    • The military's money for education plan (New GI Bill) is not as easy to use as it sounds. It is only after you leave the military that you find out whether you've met all of the requirements. The largest amount of money mentioned in the ads - $50,000 - is offered only to those GI's who take jobs the military has a hard time filling.

Am I trying to escape my own problems?

If you're thinking about joining the armed forces to get out of a bad personal or family situation, don't rush to enlist. Don't make this important decision when you are upset, confused, unsure about your future, or pressured by your family.
    Many people discover that their problems get worse, not better, in the military. Others find after enlisting that their situation at home improves, or they don't want to be in the military after all.
    Don't enlist unless you're sure. If you change your mind after you join, it's very hard to get out.

Am I willing to give up control?

If you enlist, the armed forces will be part of your life for at least eight years, including time in the Reserves.
    A lot could happen during those years. The United States could go to war and you would have to fight. If you're in the Reserves, the military could call you away from your home, job, or school.
    What if you don't like life as a soldier or sailor? You can't just quit, and the military considers it a crime for you to leave your unit or disobey an order.
    A recruiter may tell you that you can give the military a try and automatically get out after six months if you don't like it. This is not true. There is no such thing as a "period of adjustment" in the military.

Am I willing to kill and be killed?

The military prepares for war. This purpose guides everything it does.
    Are you willing to kill another person if ordered to do so? Would you destroy people's homes or food? Would you help others who are fighting, even if you're not in combat yourself?
    Would you risk your life in a fight for somebody else's cause? Even soldiers who believe in fighting to defend their country have found themselves ordered to fight when they felt it was wrong. Once you enlist, you can't choose.
    If you answer "no" to these questions, you're not alone, and you're not unpatriotic. You don't need to join the military to serve your country.

Do I have other options?

Even though it can be hard, you may be able to find a job or go to school. Talk with employed friends and neighbors to find out how they got their jobs.
    A school guidance counselor, nurse, or social worker may have resources and connections that you can use to find a job or job-training program, get money for school, or get help with a bad personal or family situation.
    Organizations - such as neighborhood job counseling programs, church groups, city and state employment agencies, career centers, and union training programs - also can help you find a job.
    If you want to earn money for college, find adventure, or travel, don't assume you must enlist. You can learn about lots of other options at your public library or on the Internet.

If you talk with a recruiter, don't rely only on the recruiter.

Military recruiters are salespeople: their job is to "sell" you on enlistment. To keep their jobs and advance their careers, most recruiters must sign up a specific number of people each month. They stress the benefits of the military - not the problems.
    Your decision about enlistment will affect your life and the lives of others. Don't rush.

• Talk with recently discharged veterans - both those who had good experiences and those who didn't - about the questions raised on this website.
    • Talk with a civilian counselor who can help you think about the military or suggest other options.
    Take along a relative or friend.

You have a lot to think about when you talk with a recruiter. A family member or friend can take notes, ask questions, and watch out for your best interests. Also take along a relative or friend if you discuss job selection with a military "guidance counselor" at a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS).

Never give false information or cover up anything.

Be honest about police records, health problems, and school. If you lie to a recruiter, you will suffer when the truth comes out.
    It's wrong, and in some cases illegal, for a recruiter to tell you a lie. Report any recruiter who does this to your Congress members and school officials. You will be protecting yourself and others.

If you decide to enlist...

• Do not sign any papers until you take them home for a parent, teacher, or someone else whom you know and trust to review.
    • Make sure to get all the recruiter's promises in writing in your enlistment agreement. Spoken promises will not protect you.
    • Find out whether you need to pass a special test, get a security clearance, or do anything else before you can get the job or options you want.

6. ahaha yes well i suppose my story isnt very complete. i figured going into my personal life and why the army makes so much sense for me would lead to a wall of text and no one being the least bit interested.

if you really wanna know why it makes sense you can ask me but im just looking for opinions/advice/information from people about this.

7. i thought about it too because my parents make good money, but i never see ANY of it. They are in debt big time.

I had no way to pay for school other than federal loans, which i have to repay. And I really don't like borrowing money, especially 5+k.

lo and behold i ended up taking the loans and not doing the military route.

I just sat down and thought about all i have accomplished and stuff and said na, someone with my skills can do something, anything else besides sign my life away for a few years.

8. What would you accomplice by doing that?

9. Any time other than right now it would be okay to join the military.

10. I think that's a terrible idea

How stop jerking around and actually put your parents money to good use and study a bit?

And for the movie tickets to actually have any impact on you, all I can say is... :rolleyes:

11. I think your just blazed and confused dude, I wouldn't do it if I were you, I mean madd of my boys are trying to leave these days, and who knows how many wont be back...

12. me too, and I really can't believe it. There just don't seem to be any other options:(

13. But, if you sign up for military. You're going be on American soil and watching people pass by.
    Hear the news? by 2011, American gov is putting 20,000+ troops on Home soil.

theory.
    Let's say, bunch of protesters is going wild/chaos and starting looting. your orders is to stop them, maybe kill your own citizens?

yeah, fuck that

14. its a conspiracy

15. My mom wanted me to join up, no way.

16. did you get the free tickets?

17. First to tell you the difference between the Army and the National Guard and or the Army reserves.

Army is full time, so what ever contract you sign up for you are on full time status for that contract, say you choose a 6 by 2 term meaning you are active duty for 6 years and inactive for 2. During your 6 active years you will live on post somewhere, for the full 6 years, in Germany, here in the states, or in the sand box depending on the post. Usually it is in 2 year increments. 2 in Germany, 1 in Egypt, 2 in the states and last year somewhere else. This will all depend on what MOS you choose. And there for where you are needed.

National Guard you are home stationed for the most part. Meaning you live in your home town and go to monthly drills on the weekends at your Unit. You have 2-3 weeks during the summer that you will end up on active training orders somewhere. This can be in Germany, Africa, or simply just in another state or at a training post in your own state. Example, I live in Oregon and last August my AT (anual training) was in Idaho. When your unit and or state are activated (this is usually on a four year rotation unless there is a natural disaster that needs guard assistance like a huricane or flood) you will then train up for a few months and then leave for the appointed mission out of country for a year. Congress put forth a law stating that the reserves and guard are to be activated for no more then 12 months this includes your train up time to get to Iraq or where ever you are going. Another example, my unit has been activated for 2009. We start our active train up in april and leave for our mission in May. We are set to come back home in the begining of 2010.

The Army reserves are the same as the National Guard, only they do not respond to any natural disasters here in the states, they are only replacements for the full Time army. So they too drill once a month and have there active training once a year until activated for deployment. My friend went to Germany this year for his 2 week training.

If you have college credits depending on how much you have and or what degree you have this would change your rank upon enlistment into any of the components of the Army. When you sit with a recruiter, be sure to have a good idea as to what you want to do for the army, and know ahead of time that they can get you rank dependent upon your college experience. Hell you can have your Masters in Art, and enlist into the Army as a freakin Lt. Don't let them dick you on this. The better your rank when you go into training, means the more money you are making. Also be sure to have your rental agreament or mortgage papers, if you don't have an apartment, go get one!!! With roomates, but be on the contract, this makes you more money. Also if you are married or have children you make even more. The housing will pay better for some zip codes then others, but you can make and average of 500.00 - 1500.00 a month depending on where you live. With kids and spouse you can get even more a month on top of your rank pay. Some employers if you have a job will pay you while you are gone on active status as well. (your basic training and AIT training are full time status)

I am a combat medic for the National Guard, my training was a tottal of 7.5 months, because of my housing assistance and my marriage, and my job paying me as well, I was making over 2000.00 a month while I was gone. On top of my monthly check I also made a sign on bonus of 20000.00. Most MOS's are paying about that for enlisting right now. You get the first half of this bonus two weeks after graduation and the second half on your 3rd or 4th year depending on the contract you signed. Because of my ASFAB scores I also have 35000.00 for schooling with an additional kicker check of 800.00 a month while going to school that is direct deposited into my checking account each month to help me with my monthly bills. I signed a contract of 6 years active 2 inactive. You can sign a 2 x 6 but you will not get the schooling money, however, you still can get the bonus money and they will pay you another 15000.00 on average to reinlist on your second year for a new active contract. You can cash it in this way if you are not looking for the schooling. Or do a 4 x 4 get the schooling and keep rolling the bonus every 4 years.

I have been in for 2.5 years now and can honestly say that I love my decision. There are some downs to it though....

1 I quite smoking. There are ways around this, people do it all the time, but be carefull cause it can get you into a lot of trouble if you pop dirty. They can make you pay back your schooling and bonus, but not kick you out. 35000.00 schooling plus a 20000.00 bonus would kick you into a 55000.00 debt with the government.

2 It can really be hell on your relationships out side the military. Parents worry more cause you are taking the chance of being killed. (more peeps die in car accidents each year though, truthfully) Bf's or Gf's will not understand what it is that you are dealing with, unless they too are enlisted. If you have children, you take the chance of never seeing them again once activated. And the worst part, I think anyway, is the trust in romantic relationships. A civilian spouse will try to be understanding and trusting, but they are the ones having to stay home, so they tend to let there minds get to them and end up cheating, screwing you over financially or thinking that you are cheating and trying to talk them down from this thought or actions is nearly imposible.

In the end, I have lost a lot, and gained a lot as well. You need to really sit down and think about what it is that you want, what you are willing to give up, and determine if it is enough for you. On one hand it is a wonderful experience, and on the other, you will find that there are moments in life where you really wish it would all stop. I have lost love, I have been cheated on and left for broke. I have also broken a heart because of my choices, and that was the hardest to deal with. Hurting someone you love because you are in the military is not easy. But in the end, are you happy with the decision?

Just so you know, I am female, only 4foot 11inches and weighed 112 lbs when I got in. I am now able to out do most of the males I know in physical endurance and can honestly kick most there asses as well. I can fire my M4 and M9 better then almost every male I know, while carrying a patient and administering IV's and applying dressings to a missing limb. I have became more organized and able to accomplich any task you give me. I am a proficient survivor and killer all on one hand yet a loving GF, daughter and friend on the other. I still snowboard, tattoo and party. But when needed, I am able to kick some serious ass. Lol feel pitty for the drunk fool that grabs my ass in a bar :D

long winded, but truthfull. And I can also say this, I have read all the post's prior to mine, and there is no brain washing. Sure they will try and break you and build you back up, but not the way that people think. They train you to know your own limits and to exceed them. They train you to be ready for anything. And how to deal with the sacrifices you are making. Remember that when you make this choice, you are signing away your freedoms to ensure that those around you have thiers. They will point, laugh and give you shit. I have been called a baby killer so many times it is insane. I have never killed a baby. But you keep in mind that it is thier freedom to think that way, it is that freedom that you are protecting. LOL.... people will hate you, and people will love and respect you, you are one of few though that are honestly giving up things to let them do just that, love you, hate you and have the right to sit at home complaining, or daydreaming about having the balls to do what you are doing.

Hope that helps a little.

18. yeah, people are supposed to start coming home, and I actually believe it. I'd say joining the military would pretty safe right now.

and yes, I would kill a citizen if they were attacking me or someone else and that was the only reasonable way to stop them. I doubt any protestors are going to be killed now a days unless someone has a happy trigger finger and they would be fucked for it.

I'd say work your ass off at school and get a job (a good one, nothing less than $10/hr). I doubt you're going to be much better off after the army.

19. If you're going to join any armed forces, join the AIR FORCE!

All they do is sit on their asses on their bases and guard the missile silos. They don't ever see the front line action.

They have a lot of things on their base that the army and the marines don't have anything close... Shit the most airforce bases have golf courses, great living homes and everything. For real, if you're going to join ANY armed forces, by far join the air force.

Good luck with this truly life altering decision,, Don't rush into it. :smoke: