'Jesus Camp: My story'

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Twee, Dec 14, 2011.

1. I don't know if any Blades have seen 'Jesus Camp'. It was a documentary about evangelist/born again christian kids and a woman, Becky Fischer (A children's minister) who ran a summer camp 'Families on Fire summer camp' for these children. Throughout the documentary you were able to see hysterical children crying speaking in 'tongues', republican fools home schooling their children openly saying global warming doesn't exist/preaching creationism and kids preaching somewhat odd and extremely militant viewpoints on their 'Saviour'. We were able to see how the children were utilized as 'tools', many of whom openly preached and tried to convert people they'd see on a daily basis.

If you havent seen Jesus camp, you should.. it's a very good insight to the way conservative bible bashers are using their children as products that they can use to promote and defend their believes and you can see how they are training them for future 'battles'. Here's a link;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_758l1CVJ7M]Jesus Camp part 1 of 8 (MrMoleqular) - YouTube[/ame]

For those of you who have seen it or even just know of it, I came across a new site of Becky Fischer and it seems she is now writing a book (Jesus Camp: My Story) about how she and her co-stars were unfairly portrayed throughout 'Jesus Camp'.
    She also has a new website, Jesus Camp | My Story
    This website defends her ministry and in it's defense.. she does attempt to answer people's concerns and criticisms of her practices.

So, yes I will give Fischer credit where it is due.. but I think she's dug her own grave and now she needs to lay in it.

She maintains that children were not brainwashed, were not 'used' and the documentary made her/certain parents look she was seeking to brainwash these children. Within an opening segment of 'Jesus Camp' Becky herself says "children are so useable" (in regards to defending, maintaining and building their ministry). In what way are they useable Becky? You cannot treat a living, breathing child like a piece of play-doh that can be 'moulded' and conditioned to fit YOUR chosen mould. Because lets be honest, that's what she aims to do. Telling people to keep their children out of public school (public school would interfere with Becky's teachings.. god forbid children learn more then one point of view). Writing and marketing 'educational material' yourself and selling them to these misled parents. It all starts young.

Also interestingly, Becky addresses a question on the FAQs of her site from someone who compares Jesus Camp/Becky's young followers to the Hitler youth. Although one may not be able to make a direct parallel between the two groups and yes, I understand why this comparison may be offensive.. Becky cannot deny that there is a lot of similarities here. Children chosen to be in the Hitler youth were taught specific material from bias and tainted text books. They were taught from a young age that you must be willing to make a lot of sacrifices for your cause and they were taught militantly how to counter argue any objectors. Within 'Jesus Camp', when Becky is shamelessly advertising her books to parents and children at a conference, she goes out of her way to explain one book on sale has a section within it that teaches kids how to argues against and in some cases, even convert their friends from different faiths.

I could go on; but I think Becky is wasting her time and efforts defending herself. Maybe, the documentary sensationalized the ministry to a certain degree and made the people appear more radical then they are in real life.

But Becky.. why do I need to pay $10 for a book from you in which you just preach out of context verses from the bible and tirade about how you are a victim of the liberal media?

You're not going to come out of this any better. The fact that you are charging people to read this nonsense makes me want to side against you more then usual if anything.

I don't know.
    Do any blades have any opinions on 'Jesus Camp' or Becky Fischer? :smoke:

2. Lmao people are still hounding that old bat?

Is it crazier to be super crazy, or to think that you can eventually convince someone else to stop being super crazy?