Jerrys Organic Obsession

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by jerry111165, Nov 20, 2011.

1. You're in the right place man! Welcome!  :wave:

2. Hi Jerry. Hope all is well

Sent from my LG-D500 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Seriously, I'm on my 3rd read of this journal.  Jerry should copy this and sell it.  The REAL grow Bible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I reading through this thread and have gotten to the place where a lot of talk about stinging nettles. Growing up in the PNW and playing in the woods as a kid you can't help but have the occasional run in with stinging nettles. But I learned an excellent remedy for lessening the effect. Nettles are always growing in an area with the common oak fern (Gymnocarpium dryopteris). If you split open the stems and rub the juice on the area that you got stung it will help. Young ferns are the best. These ferns look like this:

View attachment 128280

View attachment 128281

5. Jerry, you are the man.

6. What does it mean to 'root drench' with a tea?

7. #6847 Tree dogg, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Soil drench= top down watering of the soil until saturated. As opposed to bottom watering, like an SIP, or foliar spraying.
    Tea= a soil amendment soaked in water for a period of time, commonly kelp and or alfalfa

8. Thanks Tree dogg

I wasn't sure if it was top down or bottom up. That's the normal way I water so I don't have to change a thing. I understood the tea part. I just did my first ACT on my clones. They have been top dressed with neem cake and then covered with the EWC. I had a problem with fungus gnats.

My first soil mix is just finishing its three week of cooking. So my clones are going to be transplanted into 2 gallon pots with the soil mix in about 2 weeks. Organics are me.

9. A bump up to a great thread! Also I gots a question. I'm not getting any sweet mycelium growth in my soil (prolly due to the wiggle worm ewc's I had to use). I do have some aged horse manure that is teaming with fungal growth. My question is whether I should just manually add some of this to the soil or do an act with it? Any help will be much appreciated! -simSent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I don't think it's by any mistake than nettles grow next to a plant that cures the sting. I'm sure there's a lot more instances of this occuring naturally, I just wouldn't know how to describe the relationship in a short enough phrase to google-search. :confused_2:

11. #6852 Gandalf_the_Green, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014

Jewelweed was always the cure for stinging nettles in my neck of the woods.... also effective for poison ivy.  Just break the stem in half, and squeeze those juices onto your rash.  You can identify jewelweed, because when you hold the leaf upside down underwater, the underside of the leaf will appear silver.  Grows along streams, mostly.

Jewelweed is Impatiens capensis, btw.

Attached Files:

12. Nice. I've also found a dip in some freezing-cold mountain-water takes the sting away just as effectively.

13. ha, cool, i've always wondered what those things growing out back were.

14. #6855 donothinggardening, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
    Bump. :) this journal is so awesome, J. It was one of the first things on GC that made me want to join this forum and learn more about soil :love: thanks man :wave:

TJ

Edit: can this be added to the sticky library? :yay: :gc_rocks:

15. This thread got me started, thanks jerry!!!!

It's was one of the journals that got me going too.

17. Same here! Jerrys obsession, became mine!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

18. I, too, owe Jerry and those of this thread a world of gratitude. Its your hard work and willingness to try new things that have inspired me to get back into this wonderous hobby. Thanks, Jerry. Thanks GCO. Grow on with your bad selves!

19. I can't believe that I've been growing organically for a year now thanks to this and a few other journals.