Jeff Sessions Signals Marijuana Enforcement Will Remain The Same

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by HarveyHarvester, Feb 17, 2017.

1. -Source: 420magazine:
    Marijuana advocates have been worried for months about the recently confirmed Attorney General Jeff Sessions. He once said “good people don’t smoke marijuana,” and he has joked that he thought the Ku Klux Klan “were OK until I found out they smoked pot.” But last week, Sessions spoke with Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, and may have finally hinted at how he might enforce the federal marijuana ban as attorney general.

“Regarding the prioritization of federal resources to combat marijuana, he didn’t see the federal government getting involved in marijuana use or low-level state, what are traditionally state and local crimes, but, I don’t think he ruled out the possibility of the federal government getting involved in larger-scale operations,” Jones said.

If what Jones said is to be taken as Sessions’ stance on enforcing marijuana laws at the state-level, then not much would change. President Barack Obama routinely cracked down on medical marijuana dispensaries and growers, even ones in states that legalized the drug. During Obama’s first three years in office, the Justice Department conducted over 100 raids.

Despite a history of anti-marijuana comments, Sessions has stayed consistent when asked about how he will enforce the federal marijuana ban as attorney general. In his hearing last month, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) asked Sessions how he would handle marijuana enforcement. “I won’t commit to never enforcing federal law,” he responded, “but absolutely it’s a problem of resources for the federal government.”

As more and more states legalize pot in some form–28 states and D.C. have already done so–enforcing the federal ban will become increasingly difficult. Nearly one quarter of Americans now live in a state with some form of legal marijuana, either medical or recreational. And according to a recent Gallup poll, 60 percent of Americans favor marijuana legalization, the highest rate in 47 years.

The attorney general is meant to enforce the law based on the law, not his or her own opinions. And in his hearing, Sessions swore under oath to ditch his personal viewpoints when enforcing U.S. law. “It’s not so much the attorney general’s job to decide what laws to enforce. We should do our jobs and enforce laws effectively as we’re able,” Sessions said during his hearing. “The U.S. Congress made the possession of marijuana in every state — and the distribution — an illegal act. If that’s something that’s not desired any longer, Congress should pass a law to change the rule.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. LOL. Well no worries then.

3. I like it the way it is now, with the states controlling the cannabis initatives. Hopefully, all 50 states will catch on. I don't trust the feds controlling my cannabis thank you.

• Like Like x 6
  4. i'll with hold judgement on sessions and wait to see what he does, but i have to say that i don't trust him in the least.. if his past words are anything to judge his future actions on, well, tbh, that's a very scary thought.

• Like Like x 4
  5. When Trump Talks about illegal Drugs, he means Marijuana also, and Sessions will be glad to enforce it. I don't think they care about States being legal, He thinks it is bad, so shit will hit the fan over the next few years, Oh how I hope I am wrong.
    All the Progress over the past 10 years is hopefully for not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well so far the sky is still not falling.

7. please show me a link to an interview or presser where trump said anything anti-marijuana. In fact, during the campaign he said he would not impede with the states ability to govern itself and that the marijuana initiatives going on in the country are important for the feds to learn from. He also said that about gay marriage, and even flew a gay pride flag at one of his rallys, but is still somehow anti-gay as well. dont believe the hype, read for yourself.

• Like Like x 2

8. Well when he does and the calls the Media reporting on it again, he will call it FAKE NEWS.
    LIke I said, "I hope I am wrong". But by Donald's Track Record with Doing astonishing Acts of calling real News stories Fake News,, did you watch that press conference? He would not answer the anti-semitism question, "Twice", but saying "Nobody Is More than ME". So much more, every American Should be questioning this.

Hey don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Trump at all, just "maybe" I could see him making Us better in the U.S but for as our International affairs and being buddy buddy with Putin there is a tone that just don't sit right with me.
    JMO.
    Good Day :eek2:

9. The guy who asked that question was later interviewed and said he appreciated how trump handled that question because it shows he was personally offended by it. FYI

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

10. And the bears still suck. Go packers

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

11. That doesn't mean much. It's all a show. He knows better than most how to manipulate people's opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Football sucks, period. You may as well watch wrestling... it's just as scripted.

13. Trump said he will be the president of law and order. Cannabis is federally illegal.

• Like Like x 1
  14. He also said that states shall govern themselves on the topic of medical marijuana and other issues so what's your point?

• Like Like x 1
  15. My point is, for one, trump speaks from both sides of his mouth so who can believe what he says. Secondly is Sessions. He says if its what the people want then the feds need to change the law.

You can that to mean that he won't go after cannabis but I don't think that's what he will do. By saying the feds need to change the law alludes to his plans. Its not federally legal.

I mean come on. Sessions has said for many years that good peoeple don't use cannabis, even the statement of him saying he thought the kkk were alright until he found out they used pot. His past actions. All speak volumes to his intentions.

I mean if he wants to go after people you don't think he is going to come out and warn them first do you?

I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see him letting it stay with the states.

No one has even posted a link to sessions actually saying he will leave it up to the states.

• Like Like x 4
  16. There's also nothing with Sessions or Trump saying they'll lead a crackdown. Bottom Line: Nobody knows a damn thing yet. I'd recommend holding off on the panic until we actually KNOW something.

• Like Like x 3
  17. No panic. I'm going to do what I do. Remember its still illegal for a lot of people.

18. I asked for proof, and was given none. that pretty much proves my point. You say he speaks out of both sides of his mouth....based on what? CNN's coverage of him? Cmon man for real. CNN/cbs/nbc, hell even reuters and now on friday morning the damn AP was caught running fake, unconfirmed stories about him. the truth is the mainstream media is in such a tizzy to catch the guy in something that they just publish anything without vetting it. They have all been caught doing, thats why he calls them fake news, and he is 100% correct.

• Like Like x 3
  19. My personal opinion is that society as a whole is slowly starting to realize Marijuana is not only a lot safer than alcohol, but also has a lot of medical possibilities. Trump and his cabinet definitely won't be champions for legalization, but I dont think they're going to do anything to undermine it's progress over the last decade, or it's future progress with other states. I suspect progress will stay on the same track it's currently been on .. slow and steady, state by state. I highly doubt you're going to see any steps backwards.

20. Trump honest? Hell no. Just start with him saying let's bring jobs back to america. How about he and his daughter start by making thier products in america instead of being flaky hypocrites.

Just one of many hypocrisies.

• Like Like x 3