JDX's First Grow Attempt

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JDX, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I'm glad I didn't hurt her, she's turning out to be a beautiful plant. Thanks for looking out!

I finally ordered a ph meter and I also got one that tests water.

I think I will water them today and I'll take some more pictures. I was going to try to add more light but that will have to wait till I get the fan situation dealt with.

Shouldn't the bag seed be showing signs of its sex soon? It will be going into its sixth week soon.

2. yeh it should show soon...I start checking on the 7th and 8th node...sometimes they just take a bit...

3. No signs of sex yet and I also watered them.

Here's the pictures! LA Diva is looking nice and tight. One side of the plant looks like it smooshed in. I tried to capture it in the pictures. Mr. Bag Seed is looking pretty good as well, hopefully I can call him Ms. Bag Seed soon!

Attached Files:

4. I may have seen signs of a female on Mr. Bag Seed but I'm not certain, I'll check again tomorrow. Other than that, they are looking pretty good after being watered the day before.

5. A few things to look at today.

LA Diva has some curled down, discolored leaves on the top. I did have her a bit too close to the lights but I fixed that yesterday afternoon. Maybe a delayed reaction to the heat? Or something else? Should I trim off the top fan leaves so the lower bud sites get some more light?

What am I looking at in the Mr. Bag Seed photos, Male or Female?

Attached Files:

6. :wave: the auto looks like she's starting to show a mag deficiency...the light green stripes. Curled down leaves are usually a sign of overwatering or nute burns, but since it's only the topmost leaves it's more likely a sign of def. Your plants also look very dark green which can be too much N. sorry if some of that's contradictory ;v/ I'd make sure that you're letting her dry in between watering and maybe give a light feeding of some bloom nutes (they have low N) Please forgive me ..I can't remember what yer doing for nutes and stuff....I go through alot of threads.

on the bagseed - check the attachment. I zoomed in real good but I don't see signs of sex yet in those pics. I made little red circles for where you want to look for sex. You notice on each node there will be 4 spots to check...2 on each side...check all 4. You might need to wait another week though. It looks like yer on the 5th node and sex usually shows on the 7th or 8th. Make sure you're looking where I circled though, between the little spikes and the new growth shoot. If yer not exactly sure what I mean look at yer auto closely.

(click on pic)

Attached Files:

7. I haven't started any nutes yet. I have the Fox Farm trio. The auto must of still been wet when I watered her yesterday but it was more than a week since last watering. Should I start using big bloom and grow big on her?

Ok cool and thanks for taking the time to do that, I appreciate it!

8. I'm not really an expert on the FF stuff...I'm kinda biased towards my coco ;) You might get better advice from someone who uses it more often.

...I would do maybe a real light feeding of GB/BB for the auto and a light dose of GB on the bagseed. Maybe something like 2ml GB/BB for the auto and 3 or 4ml of GB for the bagseed one, per gallon...I'd also add a source of calcium though...which I don't think you have? I think they're looking pretty healthy overall...you just don't want a calmag issue to pop up. As I said might get better advise from someone more familiar with the soil and FF stuff...I switched nutes cuz I kept getting calmag issues. ;v/ that's just me though, I see alot of ppl doing great with it.

9. I've been seeing people post about coco, especially you. I may have to look into it. I don't have a source of calcium yet but next time I go to the store I'll get some.

Thanks, I'll try what you suggested because I was thinking along those same lines and I'll see where it takes me. I'll have to wait till tomorrow, so I'll report how they are doing then!

10. I started nutes this morning and I hope they take to them well!

Also got the new fan with speed controller and installed that, so everything is ok with the world again...I think.

11. #91 JDX, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
    Well it looks like things took a turn for the not so great...The bag seed is showing some light green discoloration which may be a mag deficiency and its drooping quite a bit, so I may have over watered it. LA Diva is also showing light green discoloration along with rust colored, curling leaves.

Any help diagnosing would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

12. la diva looks like she's got signs of burns.. sorry man, as I said I'm not a pro with the ff stuffs.. that why I got out of it. I'd give her a flush.

wish someone better at nute stuff would jump in :eek:

13. I read something about the LA Diva strain being sensitive to nutes. She started like that when I repotted her. The extra soil w/ nutes probably was too much, then I gave her a feeding the other day which probably made it worse. I'll flush her tomorrow.

What should I get for the light green discoloration? I may be going to the garden place tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

14. i would flush her out n wait ah few days to see how she reaches to the flushing
    maybe this will help
    leavedeficiencies.jpg

15. #95 JDX, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011

Thanks, I was looking for something like that! According to the chart, it looks like a zinc deficiency. I'll google it after I submit this post.

Edit: Actually it can be a whole slew of things! Do I try different remedy's for every deficiency that it looks like and see which one works?

16. heh yeh there's alot to look at. zinc can look similar to mag or iron...I think they're all tied together in some way too.

basic grow/bloom ferts should cover most nutes....in soil most of the trace nutes will be in the soil and won't an issue...like molybdenum and sulfur. Occasionally you'll need a calmag supplement, which includes iron and N in it too.

imo if you have grow, bloom and calmag, you have all you need to feed them.

If you wanna get a better grasp on nutes n stuff look up the cannastats calculator and figure out how to use it and read through that page. I used to get all kinds of headaches about nutes and get all frustrated...once I read through that page and figured out how the nutrient profile works, everything kinda cleared up. (lol that sounded like a commercial)

17. I'll pick up some cal mag tomorrow and i'll be checking out that link as well. Thanks for the help, I'd rep you a million times over if I could.

18. hehe...don't worry bout rep, instead teach someone else to grow someday ;)

19. I just flushed La Diva and I guess I'll see where it takes me. I was wondering if I should trim some of the top fan leaves so the lower part of the cola gets more light, what do you guys think?

Mr. Bag Seed loos more like a mini Christmas tree with his drooping leaves. I hope it perks up once it drys.

Didn't go to the store yet, waiting on a ride. Anything else do you think I should get while I'm there?

20. ppl have different opinions on removing leaves. Some say it helps airflow and gets more light to lower buds, others say the plant needs those leaves to help it grow and removing them stresses the plant. It's up to you to decide. :) there's a whole big argument filled thread of it here somewhere.

yeh I dunno what else you'd need at the store..maybe try out a small fabric pot or something...I really like em. Or airpots are pretty cool too.