jd4083 goes toe to toe with "Highland Oaxacan"

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by jd4083, May 3, 2010.

1. #1 jd4083, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
    In quotes because the beans are from an old hippie and we all know how old hippies lose track of things. :p However, unlike the last batch of "Highland Oaxacans" I got from another buddy, these might actually be the real deal. The seeds are huge but apparently that's par for the course with this strain and they don't really fit into the whole smaller seeds = sativa and larger seeds = indica generalization.

I should preface this thread by saying that my style of growing especially in regards to this sorta scenario is maybe a little unorthodox for forums such as this one where people tend to gravitate more towards the scientific side of things. I've run my fair share of multi-kw e&f/rdwc rooms and now that I grow for myself/family/friends/sick folks who need it and can't afford it, I choose to let nature take its course rather than poking at it with a proverbial stick to hurry things along. An example would be that I don't germinate seeds if they were properly harvested/stored...if I plant a seed that can't germ and break soil without any help from me inside of a week, I generally assume the genetics are weak and I don't want 'em in my garden. In this case, with nearly 10 year old beans, I decided that it might be worth a go just to separate the slow germinators from the non-germinators. As it turns out, these guys are a lot more hardy than I gave them credit for.

all that aside, I started with 26 beans and gave them about a 24hr soak with a bit of h202/tap (mountain well) water and then germed for another 24. After those 2 days were up, 25 of the 26 beans had 1/2" or larger taproots for a germ rate of just over 96%. Pretty impressive for beans that have been sitting around in a freezer for nearly a decade.

Not too much in the way of photos right now, at least not until something interesting happens. Here are the beans I'm running outdoors this year, the two larger piles are the Oaxacan separated by appearance for shits n grins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A= Mt. Cook x (G-13 x Haze)
    B/E= G-13 x Haze S1's
    C/D= Highland Oaxacan

Started the Oaxacans outdoors but am pre-vegging the S1s and MCxG13Hs indoors. After 36 hours 23 of the 25 remaining beans are above soil and looking healthy as shit. These are some diesel beans, can't wait to see what happens here. :wave:

My outdoor plants all start out in a mix of de-barked mir. grow organic choice soil with about 30% perlite, no other amendments. Miracle Grow typically sucks ass, but their Organic Choice is extremely cheap and actually pretty damned decent soil once you pull out the redwood-sized chunks of bark and lighten the mix up a bit. I'm going to have anywhere from 30-40 10 to 20 gallon pots to fill up and it ain't worth it to me to spend the money for my outdoor girls. Out here helicopters do fly-bys several times a day, every day of the week, from planting til harvest season. Out of the 20-25 plots of 2 plants each I'll put out after sexing, realistically I can only expect to have 2-3 plots remaining come harvest time. The rest will get killed by aphids, eaten by deer, ripped by assholes who are too lazy to plant their own, and chopped down to be burned in a big pile by the local LEO who have nothing better to do than waste taxpayer money and fight a losing battle against pot growers in the middle of Appalachia. :laughing:

More to come when something interesting happens. peace ya'll :wave:

2. Badass man. Lookin foward to seeing the progression of the grow. Keep us posted.

3. :wave: thanks for checking it out, hope it's worth watching

4. im on board. looks promising. first time growing outdoors?

5. nope, not by a long shot :p first time growing what may be actual landrace genetics, though

6. I like how you have the most seeds of the highland I'm excited to see those plants!

7. Actually, the most seeds I have are from group A, I probably have 1200 of those fuckers curing right now :p just decided on a small run of those outside since I'm willing to bet they will not hold up to mold very well if the Mt. Cook pheno is the dominant one because of how dense the flowers are :wave: thanks for checking it out ya'll

8. Here are a couple of pics of the Oaxacans at 36 hours from planting (~4 days total from initial soak, give or take) after a ridiculously windy thunderstorm the other night. Managed to bring all the bark up to the surface and convinced me that as decent as the soil might be for being cheap, I need to bite the bullet and just do my basic perlite/verm/peat/coco seedling mix to make sure these ladies & gents get a fair chance out here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple of extras I'll throw in just because I like the pics :p the plant in the first picture is my spearmint mom, getting ready to clone her and see if I can't get some mint to root, just for shits and grins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. And here's a couple shots of what I'm smoking on right this second...first is Neville's Haze x Tom Hill's Deep Chunk, second is the clone-only East Coast Sour Diesel :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Awesome. I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

Your sprouts look very healthy.

Good luck!

11. This grow's gonna be sick!

12. exactly what im thinking. im pumped for this grow man. your growing guerilla? +rep

13. Thanks phizz n 420! :wave:

that70sshow - I guess you could call it "guerilla" style growing...I do not plant on anyone's private land, only public forest land. I aggressively train the plants to keep a low profile and tend to plant them on the edge of evergreen treelines with 2 plants per plot. I dig a hole, lay down a piece of black tarp, then mix my soil right in the hole, transplant the girls in, and then camoflauge everything with existing vegetation and natural soil.

Here's what we're looking at right this second...25/25 germed and sprouted in 48 hours, 2/25 were stragglers and got the axe, and 5 were given to a buddy to try his luck with indoors, leaving 18 which just happens to be the perfect number in this case. :p Picked up a locally made organic peat mix with mychorrizae the garden store up the road just started stocking to give it a shot, once again amended @ around 30% with perlite. A little on the barky side still for seedlings so I had to use my little homemade soil sieve, but I think this stuff will do great when the girls get larger.

[​IMG]

more to come soon :wave:

14. Hell ya, ill be watching, good luck on this one/enjoy it mane

15. :wave: thanks brotha

16. All's well except for one straggler who didn't take the move to 1qt pots from its original home very well it seems. I hated to transplant when the seedlings were that early but I felt it was necessary to get em out of that barky-ass soil they were in and also give them a chance to root properly...90% of the seedlings already had explosive root growth when I pulled them out yesterday, so they need some room to breathe. I'll give em another day or so and if the straggler hasn't picked its head up by then he'll get tossed and I'll be down to 17 total.

More pics when something interesting happens. :wave:

17. Interesting plans here, subbed :D

18. :wave: thanks for joining in dudes...just checked on the Oaxacans and the remaining 16 are looking great after re-adjusting to their new homes in the 1qt pots. I also just threw 10 of KWS 2-Pounder seeds that a buddy gave to me yesterday in some tap water/h202 to soak as they haven't been stored all that well and I want to definitely get at least a couple of these to make it through the season. These are supposed to be great for mold resistance/guerilla style growing, and if it works for the Dutch then it should work out here just fine since the conditions are remarkably similar. More pics soon :wave:

19. I really wanna see how this landrace strain grows, is it a mexican sativa "Oaxacan?",

did your hippie friend grow it around were you live so its been conditioned to the environment.

-subscribed

20. According to him he got these in the early 2000's when his friend visited a small-scale family grower friend in Oaxaca and came back with a bunch of beans, including these that were labeled as Highland Oaxacan (Sativa). I trust my buddy's connections, as he is the one who got me started out here with the local clone scene, so I do believe that this is actually at the very least real Mexican genetics and not just bagseed from a sack of brick weed. :laughing:

He said that he grew a few of the beans out indoors in the closet of his flower room under a 600 watter and the female he got stretched to be enormous and after 10 weeks of flowering had barely packed on any appreciable weight, so he deemed it a waste of resources and gave it the chop. :rolleyes: wish he would have at least thrown it my way, once I do this run (or maybe at the same time) I'm going to make room in one of my indoor spaces for a couple of these girls and give it a shot myself. I'm fully prepared for a 12+ week flower time and hell, even if my outside girls can't finish up before the mold/frost with this freak weather out here, I'll bring em inside and happily build those fuckers an entire sealed room all to themselves just in case they brought anything bad inside with em. :p