Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Jaw Surgery

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kuumar, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Hello, I am having jaw surgery in a couple of weeks. They are going to break my bottom mandible and slide it forward to fix a very large overbite. I was wondering if smoking weed before and maybe about a week after surgery would be ok?

2. Before surgery would not be a good idea. Cannabis can interact with some medications and you don't want to have it interacting with the anesthetic. For an example- with propofol, cannabis users need more to "go under", however if opiates are being used for pain control, less is needed if cannabis is being used. (studies are in my list- "Interactions with other drugs" section)

Now after your operation is a different story. You are going to be in a world of hurt and cannabis can lessen pain. A little reading for you....

Cannabis effective at relieving pain after major surgery
    Cannabis effective at relieving pain after major surgery

Analgesic and adverse effects of an oral cannabis extract (Cannador) for postoperative pain
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabinoids, in combination with (NSAIDS), produce a synergistic analgesic effect
    Community Forum - View Single Post - Cannabinoids Enhance Analgesic Effects Of Anti-Inflammatory Drugs

Synergistic affective analgesic interaction between delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and morphine.
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

There's more in the "pain" section of my list (linked below). In the meantime, "prep" your body by eating a very healthy diet and getting enough rest. I hope the results of your operation are all you hope for and more! :)

Granny :wave:

3. You can smoke after no problem...just gotta smoke through you nose.

4. Kuumar

I kind of just went thru the same thing as you

I smoked right after i got home it was a serious relief fell asleep an hour later and didn't wake up until the next day.

you will be fine afterwards

5. Sounds like you're getting the SAME (Surgically Assisted Mandibular Expansion). I just had that back in April, as well as the upper jaw (the Maxilla). I had two appliances in my mouth, both in the upper and lower jaws. It fucking sucks so bad. I sympathize wholeheartedly, because I still have the bottom one in.

It doesn't hurt. It's not very painful, but yeah man, smoke some weed and see how it works out for you. Good luck drawing the smoke into your mouth though, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to suck for a few weeks! And I promise you're going to lose weight. You'll most likely be eating mashed potatoes and applesauce for the next few months.

You're probably going to have to crank that appliance twice a day for a few months to expand your jaw. Your bite pattern is going to get all off wack, so your teeth will only impact at one or two spots on your whole jawline.

I have pics if you want to see :wave:

6. Thanks for all of the wonderful advice everyone!!

and i wouldnt mind seeing some pics :cool:

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]