Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Jars

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by NeverMistakeMe, Jul 26, 2012.

1. I bought a quarter ounce of dank and I put it in a mason jar because I'm storing it for two weeks until my girlfriend comes back from Japan. The quarter ounce only takes up like 1/10th of the jar, and I'm storing it in the back of a black cabinet. Does the jar to quantity ratio make a difference? Will my buds still be good after two weeks?

2. They will be spoiled. Send them to me and I'll dispose of that mess. ;)

No worries! Just keep it in a cool dark place, burp it every few days, and you'll be fine.

3. [quote name='"walterbishop"']They will be spoiled. Send them to me and I'll dispose of that mess. ;)

No worries! Just keep it in a cool dark place, burp it every few days, and you'll be fine.[/quote]

Aha, thanks :p so the weed/jar space ratio doesn't matter?

4. Bumppppp

Also, how exactly should you burp? I've tried searching this but nobody says HOW

5. You just open the jar every few days for a minute or two

6. If its dry enough then it's already curing and you don't really need to burp it..after 2 weeks it shouldn't have a lot of gas buildup with that bud to jar ratio..I've left them for months without burping and they cured fine still

7. Do people that post stuff like this just look for stuff to worry about? Really?

Dude, chill...

8. It will be fine man. Mason jars work great, as long as it has a rubber seal you will be straight for months.

9. Bud jar ratio means nothing. If the bud is cured 100% burping it will only dry it out/dry it out faster.

10. They'll probably still be good after two months.

Maybe when considering long term degradation of THC as result of oxidation, but how frequently you open the jar is the main factor that determines how quickly this process occurs.

This won't really do anything but dry out your buds more. Most likely, they have been harvested from the plant over a month before you got them and curing them won't really be feasible at this point. You won't improve the smoothness of the smoke and definitely won't improve the taste (you'll probably adulterate it because of oxidation).

Do people post stuff like this to derail the focus of the thread and act like questions aren't meant to be asked in Tokers Q&A?

Dude, chill.

11. [quote name='"Marsdude"']

Do people that post stuff like this just look for stuff to worry about? Really?

Dude, chill...[/quote]

Well I'm sorry I don't want my bud going bad.... And this is my first experience with jars so I think I am entitled to some questions, especially because I couldn't FIND the answers. (I looked, not very well, but I looked.)

12. [quote name='"DriftingApart"']

They'll probably still be good after two months.

Maybe when considering long term degradation of THC as result of oxidation, but how frequently you open the jar is the main factor that determines how quickly this process occurs.

This won't really do anything but dry out your buds more. Most likely, they have been harvested from the plant over a month before you got them and curing them won't really be feasible at this point. You won't improve the smoothness of the smoke and definitely won't improve the taste (you'll probably adulterate it because of oxidation).

Do people post stuff like this to derail the focus of the thread and act like questions aren't meant to be asked in Tokers Q&A?

Dude, chill.[/quote]

Thank you very much, sir :) and thanks to everybody else

13. srry, my bad.

14. [quote name='"Marsdude"']

Do people that post stuff like this just look for stuff to worry about? Really?

Dude, chill...[/quote]

This is what grasscity is for, to ask questions in the apprentice tokers section

Don't harass someone for askin a question

15. I've heard putting it in the freezer helps preserve freshness. Not to sure about because I've never done it, but someone here lift know?

16. Idk but my buds got a little dry so I put a little piece of lettuce in there

17. as long as the buds aren't moist, it should be dry enough to be stored in air-tight containers like mason jars for long periods without worrying about mold. just like walterbishop said, u should be good with just burping it every now and then AKA just opening the jar lid for a few minutes every few days to give it some air. ideally, u dont want the buds to be too dry or else they'll just collapse on u. good job with the lettuce. i think ur good. :)

18. [quote name='"h0lykn1ght"']as long as the buds aren't moist, it should be dry enough to be stored in air-tight containers like mason jars for long periods without worrying about mold. just like walterbishop said, u should be good with just burping it every now and then AKA just opening the jar lid for a few minutes every few days to give it some air. ideally, u dont want the buds to be too dry or else they'll just collapse on u. good job with the lettuce. i think ur good. :)[/quote]

Haha thanks :p It wetted up nicely, almost perfectly so I switched out the lettuce for a tiny piece of strawberry and now it's perfectly sticky xD

19. #19 Xenfire, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
    I don't think a bud can reach a point where it is '100% cured', the longer it cures the better it will be cured.

You have to find the curing sweet spot. Leave them long enough that they cure well, but not too long that it is an unreasonable wait.

OP's question: a jar that is proportional to the size or amount of bud you have in the jar is recommended but it's not gonna hurt your bud haha.

You don't need to burp it since there is a lot of air in the jar already and you don't have much bud. burping is mainly for curing a grow when you'd typically have buds stacked to the top of the jar. burping it is just opening the jar and getting new fresh air into the jar and the old air out, just circulate things a bit, very easy. you will be burping it everytime you open it to smoke.

:smoke:

20. [quote name='"Xenfire"']

I don't think a bud can reach a point where it is '100% cured', the longer it cures the better it will be cured.

You have to find the curing sweet spot. Leave them long enough that they cure well, but not too long that it is an unreasonable wait.

OP's question: a jar that is proportional to the size or amount of bud you have in the jar is recommended but it's not gonna hurt your bud haha.

You don't need to burp it since there is a lot of air in the jar already and you don't have much bud. burping is mainly for curing a grow when you'd typically have buds stacked to the top of the jar. burping it is just opening the jar and getting new fresh air into the jar and the old air out, just circulate things a bit, very easy. you will be burping it everytime you open it to smoke.

:smoke:[/quote]

My buds have been drying out in the jar for some reason so I put them in a ziplock bag in the jar. Would it be better to just put the jar in a ziplock bag? Lol