Jamaica's Drug War.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by flower_child, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Jamaica's drug war

Many people think marijuana is legal in Jamaica. It isn't. Tourists and citizens are routinely arrested for possessing even the smallest amount of marijuana, but getting arrested is the result of being stupid and careless, not just being there; an intelligent, discreet visitor can have a more marvelous marijuana vacation in Jamaica than anywhere else on earth.

Government officials, panels and commissions have repeatedly recommended that Jamaica decriminalize marijuana, and make possession of small amounts totally legal.

The recommendations have not been followed, mostly because the US government pressures Jamaica into running a US-backed drug war. From 1970 to 1998, US military equipment, soldiers, DEA agents and spies dominated Jamaica, with US and Jamaican soldiers teaming up to stage helicopter raids, marine interdiction, and full-scale military assaults on ganja plantations.

Beginning in 1998, more and more Jamaicans began to actively reject US interference in the country's sovereign affairs. The US slightly reduced the millions of dollars it was spending to wage the Jamaican drug war, and stopped sending its soldiers to Jamaica. Instead, the US gave a lot of equipment and money to Jamaican drug warriors, and sent more DEA agents to the country. The US Embassy in Jamaica is the headquarters of the drug war. The Embassy is run by a long-time drug warrior, Ambassador Sue Cobb, who treats Jamaicans like children.

Cobb is buying drug war equipment for Jamaican police, and is also setting up school operations that mimic the US-based DARE program, which seeks to hypnotize children so they'll be pro-US and sympathetic to the war on drugs.

She was also instrumental in promoting "Youth Crime Watch of Jamaica," a church-influenced offshoot of programs Cobb supervised in Florida. The Jamaican program will be administered through "police youth clubs" that teach children how to be informants and unpaid police officers.

Much to Cobb's dismay, the Jamaican government convened a "National Commission on Ganja." The Commission's report came out a few months ago; it recommended that Rastafarians and non-Rasta adults be allowed to legally possess small amounts of marijuana, and that minor marijuana crimes should not be permanently recorded on a defendant's police record.

The report was filtered through a Parliamentary committee and the Jamaican justice minister. The latest word is that the Jamaican government intends to lobby for changes to international narcotics treaties that would allow the country to move forward with limited decriminalization.

In the meantime, ganja laws and other politically-motivated police actions are increasingly being used against reggae performers whose pro-marijuana populist messages are viewed as too radical by Jamaica's ruling elites.

Late last year, police raided the Kingston recording studio of popular singer Buju Banton. They found two live marijuana plants. Banton was found guilty of ganja possession and cultivation, and sentenced to serve 60 days in jail or pay a $9,000 fine.

Another pioneering Jamaican recording artist, Jah Cure, was taken down in a questionable rape case that most Jamaicans feel was a political hit. He's been in prison since 1999.

Other top performers, as well as marijuana activists, Rastafarians, and radical politicians, have felt the bite of the country's ganja laws.

Jamaican police forces are using jet skis to stop ganja dealers who use jet skis and boats to sell herb to tourists, while passengers arriving in Europe and North America on air flights from Jamaica are subject to humiliating searches that include being put in cells and forced to defecate so police officers can examine their bowel movements to see if they contain illegal drugs.

The drug war is alive and well in the Caribbean.
    From http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3584.html

That's Bullshit! Why is OUR country spending MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS to pay for a drug war in another country that isn't even supported by that country?

Fuck that.

2. Oh hell no....America GET THE FUCK OUT OF JAMACIA..... I just hope no reggae artists get raided and put in jail or sumthin... But if they do that in the bahamas I will be soo pissed...

3. That's exactly what they're doing.

Read the article. They arrested a reggae artist. His name is Jah..well I forgot what his name is. He's been in jail since 99.

4. Ya thats Jah Cure but he went to jail for a different reason.. He went to jail because he was accused of Rape and Theft of this one woman and Jah Cure Dennies it and everyone thinks he is innocent. Thats y u Hear "Free the Cure" in reggae songs example Morgan Heritages How Come says "
    Tell me how cum Jah Cure inna jail and da prosecution no he’s innocent and shouldn’t be there". Jah Cure Should be gettin out soon like 3 or 4 years. So no Jah cure in jail for a different reason. You can read interviews on the net then u have to listen to True Reflections by Jah Cure on You Tube or something (Great song).

Im Talkin about Sizzla, Richie Spice, Capleton, Chuck Fender, SIZZLA... Sizzla cant go to jail i need to listen to his music..... And i would think they would listen to there songs and probably do a raid on them or something i dunno. Cuz didnt something similar happen to TI? like Rappin about crack dealin didnt the police arrest him?

Edit: Shit i forgot about Buju....damn i remember reading that... Buju is a great artist i would deffinately be sad if he went to jail.... But that Youth Crime Watch will be good they need that....

5. thanks for clearing that up for me