Jakester's "Adventures in Cannabis Growing"..

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by jakesterjammin, Jan 22, 2012.

1. #1 jakesterjammin, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
    OK, here's the deal..... :cool:

I was going to do a side by side nutrient test and then got hit (about killed) by a hurricane.
    Moved 2000 miles away and it was one thing after the other trying to get the side by side going....

FUCK IT, I give up....
    I'll do this nutrient testing when I'm better setup to do it, in the mean time I want to see an AN bud!!! ;)

I'm just going to grow this 3'x8' SCRoG lit with 1800w of HID out to get something on the boards.
    (75w per sq ft. or a little over 11,000 Lumen per sq ft.)

I'm going to use Co2 to take advantage of the extra light..
    The chamber temps will be maintained between 82-86F and the humidity around 50%...

3' x 8' x 8' DIY Tent using Panda Plastic..
    3 - 600w Radon Digital Ballasts..
    3 - 6" HydroLux Cool Hoods..
    2 - Sub Zero 6" 400 CFM Inline blowers for the lights (one sucking and one blowing)..
    1 - Hydro Innovations Fan Speed Controller (controls chamber temp)..
    1 - C.A.P AIR-3 (exhausts chamber humidity)..
    1 - Active Air Co2 System (1-15)
    1 - 16" Ecoplus wall mount oscillating fan..
    2 - DIY R-DWC 2 Site system (1 res, 2 buckets sites, 2 plants under each 3x5 screen.)..
    4 - Sensi Star clones..

Here is the timeline of where I'm at in this grow.....

Started the build and put up a 3' x 8' frame...

[​IMG]

Finished chamber.....

[​IMG]

Built an R-DWC using the Home Depot "Homer buckets"...
    Wrapped them in foil tape to keep light out of the buckets and try to keep some heat out as well......

The supply lines are 1/2" which is Teed off the 185gph pump...
    The return (or balance) lines are 3/4" and each bucket has its own dedicated return line.

I used an Ebb & Flo supply fitting for the balance lines...

[​IMG]

Here is a completed 2 site system...

[​IMG]

And here is what I hope to grow with....

[​IMG]

Sensi Star Mothers 1 WEEK OLD... (12/9/2011)

[​IMG]

2 WEEKS OLD...

[​IMG]

3 WEEKS OLD...

[​IMG]

4 WEEKS OLD...

[​IMG]

Clones taken on 1/1/2011....

[​IMG]

Root system of Mother #2.......

She is going to be flowered along with a few clones...
    [​IMG]

We have roots on 01-10-2012 (9 days later)......

[​IMG]

Here is where I'm at on this grow.......
    Photoperiod = 18/6 with only 2 lamps lit (1200w)
    Chamber temp = 84F
    Chamber Humidity = 40-45% (about 10 points lower than I'd like to see)..
    Reservoir temps = 66-70F (5 degrees hotter than I'd like to see)....

Nutrient is AN's grandmaster line...
    1.5 EC / 1050 PPM / 5.6 pH

I'll be bending these ladies over tonight sometime... :D
    The 4 SCRoG ladies will be bent completely over after the 6th node...

The screen will be put on I hope within 10 days to 2 weeks, and set at 10" off the buckets...
    Then around the 25 day mark, I'm going to be switching the lights to HPS and firing up the third lamp...
    The screen is adjustable, so if this scrog starts to get out of hand (like the last one did), I can raise the screen..

Today...........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is just going to be a little personal grow journal thread...

:wave:

2. subbed.... I don't care if you cant finish the side by side.... AN was the clear winner... hahahahahahaha.... I love your work bro... you don't need to prove anything, just watching your awesome grow is a honor bro... keep up the hard work

subbed

3. sub'd gonna keep on following and see how AN does!

4. Thanks guys, but I'm still going to do the nutrient testing side by side..
    I just need time to recover and start putting medication on the boards....

My patients are getting frustrated how long this is taking...
    I have the Sensi Start mother #2 flowering, but she is lucky to give me 1/4lb..

Once I start producing medication on a monthly basis, then I can take the time to play....

5. nice and clean set up as usual jj ,
    looking forward to the scrog going in,
    Middy

6. Well I wanted to set it up to test nutrients.... LOL

I will get there, but IMHO, the chamber is not ready for testing anything...
    You see, I cannot monitor and record temps, humidity, EC, pH, etc. etc. but only once maybe twice a day...

So what I want to do it setup a chamber where that is monitored and recorded 24/7/365..
    I hope to be at that point around the end of this year...

Anyway, here is a few pics....

Checkout the difference in clones from Sensi Star - Mother #1 (on rt) and Mother #2
    Mother #2 (on left) is CLEARLY showing more Sativa in her, I wonder if the high is more of a Sativa buzz??

[​IMG]

Here is the 4 clones (from Mother #1) after I bent them over and tied them up....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a few UpSkirt pics, same from top down as above...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were the two root zones damaged by GH's Floralicious Grow additive...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping they pull through and do not have rot issues....
    But I'm glad that both sides have a different res, because I'm going to ride them to the end in this SCRoG....

I would LOVE to do some Time-Elapse video!!
    I have the software, I just need to get a wireless web cam...

7. time elapse vid/photos are great.
    what about a GH v AN lucas battle?

Checkout the difference in clones from Sensi Star - Mother #1 (on rt) and Mother #2
    Mother #2 (on left) is CLEARLY showing more Sativa in her, I wonder if the high is more of a Sativa buzz??
    only one way to find out!!

Middy

8. hey op thanks for continuing to post this grow, looking forward to the rest of it regardless of past events. :)

9. Well when I do start the side by side testing, I now access to a gas chronograph...
    So I now will know exactly the content of the plants...

It takes a gram and $50, after it's annualized the lab supplies me with the report.. :smoke:

What I'm going to do is take some of this grow and have it annualized..
    Then once I do the side by side, I will have both A and B crops annualized as well...

10. [quote name='"jakesterjammin"']Well when I do start the side by side testing, I now access to a gas chronograph...
    So I now will know exactly the content of the plants...

It takes a gram and $50, after it's annualized the lab supplies me with the report.. :smoke:

What I'm going to do is take some of this grow and have it annualized..
    Then once I do the side by side, I will have both A and B crops annualized as well...

:wave:[/quote]

Annualized? Not a term I'm familiar with... I'd google it but I'd rather hear some one who knows what there talking about ;)

11. Do you use beneficial bacteria in your system or are you going sterile?

12. Well the lab charges per test, they will test the 5 which has the most importance to us as growers for $50...
    Δ 8 (delta8)
    Δ 9 (delta9)
    CBD
    CBN
    CBC

So the cost pretty much starts at $50 and can go up to just under $600 per testing sample...
    But what I'd LOVE to see is what the plants are storing and at what times...
    That's like $225 every sample...

I know you get 75% of your resin glands within the 6th through 8th week of flowering..

Well strain related, but pretty much after the flowers have fully formed and begin ripening, thus the plants wants to protect it's flowers, and its defense to protect them mature flowers kick into high gear (more glands)... Mostly in the 7th week of an 8 week strain...

IMPO, it's because the plant has not been pollinated yet, and nearing it's life's end, so the plant wants to protect it's flowers even more so.... Because there is a chance she will not produce and so in the 7th week is when the resin glan production really kicks into high gear...

She knows that she is getting older and has not been pollinated, so again she wants to protect her flowers at all cost to produce offspring... This is IMO where you want to fuck with her environment and water supply..

Can't really fuck with her water in a DWC other than 0ppm...
    But you can raise the heat a little and lower the humidity dramatically....
    Even if you cause the plant decided to take drastic measures and hermmie, it's too late, she will be dead by time she decides to get that drastic...

Of course that depends on the stability of the strain and or seed's genetics...

This Sensi Star mother I'm flowering now, I'm REALLY stressing!!!
    I'm taking her from the veg chamber to a closet every day, then a few times left the water a little low on her..

Usually I'll fuck with a clone, so the loss is not so big if the strain is unstable..
    I guess this round I do not have to many options here...

But I HAVE TO KNOW if the strain is stable, because once I get flipping here, it's going to be a clone from a clone, from a clone, from a clone, etc. etc. etc. etc.....

So the clones will be taken from the clones in the flower room after a couple weeks into flowering...
    If the feminised strain is not stable she will hermmie after a few generations of clone from a clone...

Even though the mother's clone is 100% her, not sure why, but a clone from a clone from a clone, there seems to be a breakdown in the genetics passing from one clone to the next somehow... But I have seen strains if you run that method, will hermmie after a few times, and then other strains that you can run forever doing the cone form a clone method...

:confused_2:

Sorry for the ramble..... :wave:

Yes, using bennies....

13. Analyze, analyzed

What instrumentation is used to analyze your sample to quantitate %s?
    I think it is GC or LC MS
    I want to get my hands on one of those so that I can run my on analysis

14. I think it's mother natures way in correcting the "no male" in sight issue so they hermy to caring on the genetics? But then like you said some will hermy and others won't.

I can see why your stressing about the mother with all the moving you keep doing. Wonder if it's the movement of the root zone that stresses the plant out cuz wind blows the exposed parts of the plant all day.

15. Well I figure all the movement, few times water got rather low in the bubble bucket..
    Couple times she got a little more dark than she should have gotten...
    Then going from 78 / 60% humidity chamber, to a 63 / just about 0% humidity closet...

I guess it's ALL out of the norm, so has to add stress to her in one shape or form... ??? ....

Ya, maybe this time when I start breeding, I now can make my primary judgement based off the cannabinoids facts as opposed to "it looks good to me".... ;)

Maybe get a short fat plant with the high of the Sativa by breading based off the Δ-9, CBD, and CBN... :confused_2:

Just thought it cool for $50 they will test and give me a report of the plants I grew...
    Because really, images do NO JUSTICE to the buds... :D

16. *********** DAILY PICS ************

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. *************** FORGOT A PIC ******************

[​IMG]

;)

18. Your roots are so white! I have been using an ewc tea and it puts alot of dirty water in my system so they aren't brilliant white like yours...

19. If you notice the "I forgot to post" pic right above...
    The left side was a week on all AN and the right side was on GH uses which uses more organics...
    I was seeing about an 1" growth per day on the AN plants and only 1/2" on the GH nutes..

Matter fact, I have consistently seen about an inch growth per day on both AN grows... ;)
    The mother in the veg room I have trimmed back 3 times now and she is fucking HUGE... LOL
    I get about 1" a day and she is even on 1/2 strength AN nutes...

After going through the old pics of the last grow and times past, I would have to say I do see better growth..
    I would have LOVED to seen it side by side, and will one day, but for now, I JUST WANTA GROW....